What are your "red lines" foods and why?

Options

Replies

• marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's not as much specific foods as it is going out to eat with a group, it puts my head in celebration mode, and it is far far to easy to just forget I'm trying to watch things entirely. I had gotten quite used to ordering appetizer, main dish and desert (though often bringing some home) and I have to be very mindful or I end up ordering far more than I meant to. I'm not one to eat a lot of deep fried, but still ...something like fajitas doesn't sound bad, but with all the extras and the portion size it adds up to huge.

As far as foods at home though..I have hard timer resisting home made or home baked chocolate chip cookies or brownies. If I make some I really need to make an effort to put some out of sight or give them away, because they will just keep haunting me. For cookies I've mostly thrwarted this by getting the frozen kind from trader joes. If I only bake two I can only eat two without putting in extra effort. If I go to my dad's and my sis has made him a big plate of homemade I can't seem to stop nibbling.

If get a half galllon of ice cream it gets freezerburned long before I eat it all, chips go stale, donuts who cares, but chocolate chip cookies..woowee.

Edited to add - and reading through the posts I forgot one other..milkshakes. Luckily they are a bit harder to come by at home, but every so often I get a really intense craving for them, and my house is very near both a dairy queen drive through and a baskin robbins drive through. I could even walk to the dairy queen. I used to get bigger ones, now I only get small or even kiddie if they will give it to me, but if I remember right even at DQ small is like 600 calories and insane fat. Better off getting ice cream.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I don't think I have and 'red line' or trigger foods. I can't think of anything that once I start eating, I can't stop or a food that starts me on a path of unhealthy eating.

I think I gained weight because I just ate too much overall - large portions and too much snacking.

Focusing on moderation by cutting back on portion sizes and my overall calories was all it took for me to lose weight. As long as I know what my TDEE is, and stick to roughly that many calories, I seem to be able to enjoy a little bit of everything.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Anything fried - ESPECIALLY french fries
    Anything with heavy cream
    Bacon
    Donuts

Cannot eat just one of any of those- so just say no from the get go
  • bridiew
    bridiew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    cerial!! specifically museli/granola types
    biscuits/cookies/cerialbars/flapjack
    CHEESE!!!! lol
  • ricknlauraplus8
    Options
    taco.......... freakin......... bell...... ugh
    x2!! Also, pizza (pizza + lactose intolerant= a cranky, overeater), lemon bars, and anything butterscotch, especially cook & serve pudding (love eating it warm)!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    coca cola, cottona candy, caribou coffee, beer

Liquids are my main set back, coke, coffee, drinks, beer, shots! LOL cause I can just suck um down no thoughts and I don't feel full.

and cotton candy well I can not just have a few bites of cotton caqndy, I become a rabid animal

Oh and rennisance fair turkey legs or prime rib. I do not ever just want a bite, I want the whole turkey leg, or the biggest prime rib offered with aus jus and horseraddish sour cream!! ha ha and a coke on the side!!

now that I see the calories in front of me I still have the things I want but I work extra hard to earn them when I know we are going to eat naughty foods So I can enjoy them more with out feeling cheated. Also I have found that eating even 75% of the serving rather than 50% saves me some calories and gets me that fix!

I did find a work around for sweets cause every once and a while I need a candy bar, Instead I will have nuts that are covered in sweet coatings like almonds etc so I get the sweets but also the benifits of nuts vs just pure sugar. and when say I want a almond joy I just put a little sweetend coconut in a bowl with some almonds and a few chocolate chips to curb the cravings and control the portions.
  • Bxwarren13
    Bxwarren13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Freakin' Doritos. I use to eat the entire bag, family size. Had to cold turkey those out of my life!

Then Chinese food because growing up they were big portions for cheap and what my family could afford when we "went out", lol. So no more of those cute Chinese restaurants to send my lifestyle into a spiral!
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1. Cheez-its or Goldfish. I cannot buy a box/bag without eating the whole thing. So I don't buy them.
    2. Elmer Fudge Elf Fudge cookies. Well any large amount of cookies in general. I have learned that if I want a cookie, I need to go to a bakery and get one or two, no more. Because I can't help myself and before you know it, I've eaten 10.
    3. Chips and salsa. Too delicious. Too easy to eat a full days worth of calories without feeling full.

The biggest thing that I've noticed is that I NEED to start my morning off right by eating around 400-500 of healthy, protein-filled calories. If I eat something bad in the morning, that seems to carry into the rest of my day.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Pasta, Bread, Pasta, Bread and did I mention Carbs in general?? Also, living in the Buffalo area we have the best wings at every bar, pizza place, even Wegmans (local grocer) does great wings!

I also had to redline fast food and take out....... cuz within a short walk from home I could hit up a Dunkin donuts, Tim horton (DD's competition from Canada!) Mighty Taco (so much better than Taco Bell!) McD's, Burger King, Arby's and Wendy's!!! Not to mention 3 diners and about a dozen pizza and wing places :grumble:
  • Modmomma79
    Options
    Mine are Pizza, Chocolate Chip Cookies (sweets really), Buttered Bread/Toast ( I haven't had this in a long time), Buffalo Wings and French Fries.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Pizza, chips, crisps, cookies, cake.mmm cake.

So I try and make a cheaper healthier version of most of these items. Never thought bean brownies could be so YUMMY!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    1. Cheez-its or Goldfish. I cannot buy a box/bag without eating the whole thing. So I don't buy them.
    2. Elmer Fudge Elf Fudge cookies. Well any large amount of cookies in general. I have learned that if I want a cookie, I need to go to a bakery and get one or two, no more. Because I can't help myself and before you know it, I've eaten 10.

The biggest thing that I've noticed is that I NEED to start my morning off right by eating around 400-500 of healthy, protein-filled calories. If I eat something bad in the morning, that seems to carry into the rest of my day.

THIS!!!!
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Chocolate - The darker the better
    Fruit - Silly to add this, however, sometimes I can't stop at 1 or 2 fruits per sitting...Rather, I'll eat 8 - 10 servings... : /
    Nuts - Cashews, Pistachios, Walnuts, Peanuts, Almonds.....keep ALL nuts away from me otherwise there will be trouble!!

I don't know how get my portion control....under control with these foods. Except fruit....it all depends on the day or the week, to be honest....Yesterday I had 2 apples, 1 banana and 6 persimmons after dinner....but that was a good day. lol
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    ALL Mexican food, hard-to-stop snack items like chips, french fries, salty ****, and definitely sweets, mostly chocolate though
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Sweets.. Not chocolate, I have no problem with that (strangely enough) but stuff like gummy bears or those gummy cherries.. They will be the death of me I tell you!
  • johnsongs1
    johnsongs1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, doughnuts - fruit cobblers, chocolate. These things are worth the calories - fries are not worth the calories to me, although I do like fries. I just never eat them.
  • evelynr14
    evelynr14 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Rice, Sweets, chips and all kinds of junk :grumble: lol
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My biggest problems are toppings and sauces

Sour cream - I could eat this on anything. Burgers? Tacos? in my chili? Yup. and a tablespoon is just sooooo small.
    Sauteed Mushrooms/onions - the more buttery the better.
    anything prepared "oscar style"
    Hollandaise sauce - uh. yum.
    That white dipping sauce at hibachi restaurants - any veggies are just a vehicle to get more of this sauce into my mouth
    Ranch dressing - it goes on salad....is it really that bad to dunk pizza rolls in it?? LOL.

I struggle to have any of the above in moderation. it's just sooooo yummy.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Kettle-cooked salt & vinegar chips. I could probably polish off a bag in a day without even thinking about it! lol. So yeah, I don't keep them in the house.
  • mich0821
    mich0821 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with cereal!!