Some people...

Options

Replies

• beandawgy
    Options
    it happens, people just have no sense of respect for someone that's just doing their job. :ohwell:

I feel ya!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I vote that she was just having a really bad day, perhaps got some terrible news and was not acting herself. Unfortunately, you caught the brunt of it. In those situations, just tell yourself that, that person must be in particular need of kindness. :smile:
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I no longer work in a bank!!! lol
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I ended up in jail because of my last customer service job.. taught that F@#23ER a lesson..
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    People are d*cks. HUGE d*cks (which is normally a good thing, but not in this case, if you catch my drift). I've worked for a few years in customer service-related jobs and I will say it's given me a thicker skin, which I kind of needed. But my faith in humanity is almost zero (although it wasn't that high to start with). Basically, people suck and you just kind of have to accept that, let it roll off you, and move on. Maybe wish them a sh*tty day inside your head :)
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am a teller supervisor and the tag line i give my tellers to say when questioned why is "I have to be able to account for everything that goes in and out of my drawer, thank you for your understanding" with a huge smile.

And sorry for venting on your thread but it KILLS me when I greet people "Welcome to ____, how are you today?" and they just stare at me... I normally mute the microphone and say to the closest person "so great I'm speechless"

When asked how I am today I love to respond with something like "If I was any better I'd be on a beach, reading a book, enjoying an ice cold drink.... and then ask them how they are"
    My favorite response ever given was this past summer and it was "Hot and not in the good way". I normally try to respond with great, fabulous, wonderful but I had no response for that one.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a name to give change for legal tender?

In case it's a fake 100

You don't have the little pen to write on it and check? Seriously you are a bank. If you can't tell that, we're in trouble.

You can't really report it if you don't have a name. Just sayin.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have an insurance agency. One of our clients dropped her coverages down to the minimum limits and got rid of her comp and collision, against our advice, then went out a month later and pulled out in front of an oncoming vehicle. It was completely her fault because there had been road construction at that intersection for months and there had been no oncoming traffic from the left side, so she didn't even look. Unfortunately for her, and her 8 year old visiting grandson, who was killed, the road was open. It was horrible and it took months for the police to close the investigation. In the meantime, she called and screamed at me or my husband, every freaking day about how it wasn't her fault and everybody was mad at her and she was hurt too, and she couldn't believe her (minimum limit) insurance wasn't going to cover everything and she had to homestead her house so her ex daughter in law couldn't take it and she was being sued and how stupid we all were because this should be wrapped up faster and no one cared about her and on and on and on....I felt bad for her because if I was responsible for the death of my grandchild, there wouldn't be enough Prozac in the world to handle it, but on the other hand, she seemed to be more upset about the fact that she was going to be sued by her estranged son and ex-daughter in law than she was about the kid. After 4 months of her calling and screaming about how dishonest we all are and how we are trying to take the other people's side (the other party had better coverage and their car was covered for damage. Not my fault she cancelled her collision coverage against our advice), When she was screaming at me about how she was just going to take her business elsewhere, I finally said, "You know what? We have bent over backwards for you and tried to be patient and understanding with you. We have handled your claim to the best of our ability and it's not our fault the police and DA are holding up on releasing your car. But I"m really tired of listening to you scream at me on a daily basis (she had been doing the same thing to the detective and the claims adjuster and they quit taking her calls)..."so why don't you just go ahead and take your business somewhere else." She screamed that I couldn't talk to her like that and I said, "BITE ME!" and hung up on her. There ARE advantages to being your own boss. She called back later and was just as polite as could be. I gave her the number to a free mental health clinic and she promised she would make an appointment. The older I get, the less patience I have with people like that.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.. I have been in just about every fathomable retail job that "entitles" people to treat you like crap.. Car sales, computer repair in a retail store (imagine a woman telling a man how to fix his computer.. doesn't always go over well!), telemarketing, call center (I guess it doesn't matter whether you're the one calling or picking up, people hate you anyway!)... what scared me about retail was learning just how many people behave the exact way that woman in your teller line did.

One of my favorites was when I got a call from a potential customer while working at the Cadillac dealership who said to me, after telling him the price listed was non-negotiable, "Are you listening to me missy? You're going to shut your mouth. Stand up. Walk over to your sales manager's desk. And tell him I'm paying 40k for that Camaro and no more. Do you understand me? Can you hear me little girl? Are you capable of following directions?" The sales manager told him where to put it and said he wouldn't touch his money if his life depended on it. Ha!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you work in customer service, this is to be expected. Why are you so surprised?
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is why I cannot do customer service jobs anymore.

^ This.

I work for a bank as well, but I work in the HQ. No way could I deal with people and their money. I used to work in hotels and wow.... it's like kids being away from their parents. Or like the Amish on Rumspringer. Every. Night.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's people like that that make me refuse to work with customers anymore. I work in an office now and I won't even answer the phone for the receptionist. I just can't stand rude people and we get a handful of them phone here daily.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Why do you need a name to give change for legal tender?

Because if they come back and say that I shorted them money if we didn't record their name or the transaction there would be no way to go back and see if we shorted them or not.

That's odd. I've never heard that before. The bank we go to has never asked anything. They just exchange the money.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am a teller supervisor and the tag line i give my tellers to say when questioned why is "I have to be able to account for everything that goes in and out of my drawer, thank you for your understanding" with a huge smile.

And sorry for venting on your thread but it KILLS me when I greet people "Welcome to ____, how are you today?" and they just stare at me... I normally mute the microphone and say to the closest person "so great I'm speechless"

When asked how I am today I love to respond with something like "If I was any better I'd be on a beach, reading a book, enjoying an ice cold drink.... and then ask them how they are"

My favorite response ever given was this past summer and it was "Hot and not in the good way". I normally try to respond with great, fabulous, wonderful but I had no response for that one.

My husband always says, "Unbelievable." It covers pretty much any situation, good or bad.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of the coin-pun intended!

apologize, agree, smile....you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Besides, don't let her crappy mood ruin your day, instead ruin hers with your happiness. Always works for me. Plus when people think you are just following the rules that you think are stupid too it usually ends better. :smile:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    That's why I got out of customer service and went into purchasing. Now I'm the customer!! :devil:
  • danam82
    danam82 Posts: 30
    Options
    I worked as a teller for a few years, so I definitly feel your pain. Most customers are ok, but you get one or two that can ruin your mood for the rest of the day. I once had a restaurant owner bring his cash deposit in the lobby, he stood 2 feet from my window, and threw the bag at my face. He'd "always wanted to do that." It pissed me off to no end, but all I could do was politely ask him not to throw things at me when I really wanted to jump over the counter and punch him in the face LOL. And he was friends with the head teller so she didn't do anything. They treat you like crap and expect you to act courteously and professionally towards them.

Something my assistant branch manager always said, was people have "displaced anger." When they are rude to you for no reason, they most likely have stress somewhere else that they are taking out on you. It rarely made me feel better, it's a good thing to try to keep it in mind.

My experience as a teller helped me appreciate people in customer service jobs more. I try really hard to be respectful to customer service workers, especially bank tellers.

Hang in there. Someone else will come along and make your day better. :flowerforyou:
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you work in customer service, this is to be expected. Why are you so surprised?
    Because my mother raised me better than that and I am raising my child better than that and I would hope that other people's parents would have put in the same effort
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well I have a picture I wanted to post but no idea how so here is the saying ...
    ... Who ever said "the customer is always right" clearly never worked with the public a day in their life.

The company I used to work for modified this to say "The customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer." Basically: you know they're wrong, but be nice anyway. :)
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    I'm a switchboard operator for a bank. we have over 110 locations and sometimes l get cussed out and yelled at and l can't help them all l can do is transfer the call somewhere else. It's amazing how rude people can be.