What do you count as water?

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    For those of you interested in what actual health professionals think, try this: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Of particular interest to this thread: "Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total. "
    I've read that as well.

However, that doesn't mean I'm going to count any fluid as water just because it's fluid; it's not water. I'm not going to log a brownie as a can of tuna because it's not a can of tuna, so why would I log tea as water?

most likely because a brownie doesn't have a can of tuna in it, unless you make some nasty *kitten* brownies. I do agree that the 8 cups of water should be water though, and not other drinks containing water. If that were the case then 8 glasses of coke would work because it is a water base.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    For those of you interested in what actual health professionals think, try this: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Of particular interest to this thread: "Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total. "
    I've read that as well.

However, that doesn't mean I'm going to count any fluid as water just because it's fluid; it's not water. I'm not going to log a brownie as a can of tuna because it's not a can of tuna, so why would I log tea as water?

most likely because a brownie doesn't have a can of tuna in it, unless you make some nasty *kitten* brownies. I do agree that the 8 cups of water should be water though, and not other drinks containing water. If that were the case then 8 glasses of coke would work because it is a water base.
    Right; I log water because it helps me remember to drink it, and I drink water because since I started drinking it I feel better, I've lost more weight, and I look better. But it's not like MFP is going to give you some sort of warning if you DON'T log water, so I don't understand why people feel the need to log things that aren't water as water.

The brownie vs tuna was to illustrate that they're not just different solid foods, they're nutritionally different. If you (generic) are logging coffee with three sugars and cream as water, what about the sugar and the carbs? They do different things for/to you, so why pretend they're the same just so you can see that little glass fill up? Why use the tool if you're not going to use it correctly? Not that it makes any difference to me, it doesn't affect my water count--but if you don't use it correctly, you probably shouldn't complain if it doesn't work correctly. Know what I mean?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I've read that as well.

Because, unless you are making some weird brownie, there is no tuna in a brownie. There is water in tea.
  • gingerjen7
    Options

I've read that as well.

Because, unless you are making some weird brownie, there is no tuna in a brownie. There is water in tea.
    And a lot of other stuff. Tea isn't water. Have you ever read the back of a box of Hamburger Helper that said "combine noodles, seasoning, ground beef, and tea"? No, because tea isn't water.

There's water in chocolate cake. Do you log chocolate cake as water?
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I've read that as well.

And a lot of other stuff. Tea isn't water. Have you ever read the back of a box of Hamburger Helper that said "combine noodles, seasoning, ground beef, and tea"? No, because tea isn't water.

You don't seem to understand that tea IS WATER with herbal additives, where chocolate cake is not.

Also, where your definition of "correct use" of the water meter is awesome for you, it may not be how the rest of the world measures their intake. Unless you wrote the MFP program and in doing so defined the "correct use" of the water meter, please stop assuming your way is the only way.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    water is water. sometimes I count it if there's crystal light powder in it, but that is it. Maybe tea, if I drank it. I absolutely wouldn't count things like milk - that has lots of calories and fat to it.

Just drink 8 cups of actual water every day on top of whatever else you drink to be safe. It isn't difficult if you carry a water bottle.
  • gingerjen7
    Options

I've read that as well.

You don't seem to understand that tea IS WATER with herbal additives, where chocolate cake is not.

Also, where your definition of "correct use" of the water meter is awesome for you, it may not be how the rest of the world measures their intake. Unless you wrote the MFP program and in doing so defined the "correct use" of the water meter, please stop assuming your way is the only way.
    Did I assume my way was the only way? I specifically said " Not that it makes any difference to me, it doesn't affect my water count". Don't get so defensive. You want to call your diet coke water, by all means, call it water. I'm not going to pat you on the back and say "Hey, great job drinking so much water" for it, but as long as you're not telling me to log my tea as water, it don't make me no nevermind.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I've read that as well.

Beer IS WATER with hopps and stuff added to it. Can I count it as water too? Gee, I sure hope so.
  • gingerjen7
    Options

I've read that as well.

Beer IS WATER with hopps and stuff added to it. Can I count it as water too? Gee, I sure hope so.
    Oh my god, if that's the case, then I drink SOOOOOO much water!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Coffee, tea, and - of course - water, my criteria being it has to be 0 calories and very wet.
    And I don't care if you don't like it.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Just water dude.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I just count water toward my daily water intake. Tea may be alright (but, I personally don't count it). However, I would definitely not count sodas. They will bloat you, instead of helping cleanse your system.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    my criteria being it has to be 0 calories and very wet.

THIS*** Very good way of putting it.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Just water, and the occassional Vitamin Water Zero :)
  • WillLift4Tats
    Options

me too!!
  • WillLift4Tats
    Options
    milk is a solid, but I generally don't eat milk anyway.

:huh: I'm sorry what...yea I don't eat milk either...tends to taste pretty bad at that point..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I've read that as well.

I actually do not log water. I can tell if I am hydrated enough by the fact my pee is the right color. However, I stay hydrated enough due to the amount of milk I drink.

BTW: your post actually made no sense to me.
  • sgwhit
    sgwhit Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    milk is a solid

:laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad:
    [/quote

Oh my, when did milk turn into a solid??
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    Deluting juice or squash but quite weak just to give water some taste as I can't drink tap water
  • gingerjen7
    Options

I've read that as well.

I actually do not log water. I can tell if I am hydrated enough by the fact my pee is the right color. However, I stay hydrated enough due to the amount of milk I drink.

BTW: your post actually made no sense to me.
    Which part confused you? That tea isn't water or that just because something has water in it doesn't mean that it's water?