What do you guys do for a living?

Options
MorbidMander
MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
Right now I'm trying to get ready to go to uni and figure out what I wanna do for the rest of my life. (No pressure)
I'm kinda having trouble choosing just one thing since there are a lot of things I'd like to do. I think I might try to be an animator since everyone in my family has been telling me since I was a kid I have real talent in artistic things, and I am pretty good I think, so it might be worth a shot. However I was just wondering what some of you guys might do for a living and if you enjoy it, if you'd change it, whatever! Picking a job is kinda a necessity for everyone, eh?

Replies

• RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I've been teaching 7th and 8th grade history for the last 19 years, during that time, I have not liked 2 years of them, maybe found another 2-3 kind of dull, but LOVED the other 14-15 years. I wouldn't go in it, if you didn't know it was something you liked, BUT, I think you'd be surprised how much fun it is and how fulfilled you feel.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student
    A cashier at Ulta
    And an everything worker at Schlotzsky's

And most days,I hate them all. Lol

I'm in school for nursing atm but my heart just isn't in it anymore. I'll be changing majors next semester
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm in college to get a certificate for Medical Coding. It doesn't take long to learn how to do, it's actually really fun (if you like puzzles and biology) and can pay well! You don't mess with patients but still are working in the medical field. In the US you are looking at $12 to $17 a hour for a Certified Coder job.
  • georgygirl
    georgygirl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work as a Home Carer and have done for the best part of 20 years, but am looking for a change, mind you at the age of 50 I don't hold out much hope :cry:
  • acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I own my own business. I'm a consultant. I love what I do!
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    mmm I dunno... When I left school I had a massive car accident which changed everything for me, until then I was going to apply to acting college.. So I have washed dishes, run business', worked on Prawn Trawlers, laid cable, washed toilets, run restaurants, became a cabinet maker, antique furniture restorer, sold cars, ran a dealership and now I'm a finance broker... to name a few and not all at the same time..Men don't multi task that well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sooooo I guess choosing is a start and sometimes life just throws stuff at you, for me it has always been about being open to opportunites and grabbing them by the b@lls and running with it!
  • NeonGreenMachine83
    Options
    I am a professional technical writer. I am trying to get my career started-thinking of going to Full Sail University for a Master of Fine Arts in digital design.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I design software.

It takes a hell of a lot of knowledge of the industry and a lot of knowledge of what is possible.

However, when I embarked on my post-school life, the role and the industry barely existed, I worked my way from computer operator to programmer, to consultant to development manager and all the way to my current product owner role.

The software world has a lot of opportunity for arty people, Ui/Ux is huge nowadays...
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I work for a travel/tour company...most days suck but it got me a free trip to South Africa, which I could have never paid for myself lol
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Graphic Production Artist...I get paid to play with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I spend most of my time creating files for print production and internet use...and create a shipload of PDF's...and I'm a stay-at-home Dad!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Massage Therapist in NY. Can be unpredictable...but when you're busy you can make $$$.
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    I work as a Home Carer and have done for the best part of 20 years, but am looking for a change, mind you at the age of 50 I don't hold out much hope :cry:

Hey it's NEVER too late!!! A little drive and detirmination go a veryyyy long way!!!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm a Corrections Officer at the county jail. I wanted to go into Criminal Justice, and a former coworker worked there and gave me an awesome reference. Pay is good, benefits are good, and the hours aren't that bad either. Sure, there's bad days. And the communication could be better up there, but for the most part I enjoy it.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm an HR Director for a Fortune 50 company. Keeps me so busy most days I have about 5 minutes for lunch and eat dinner around 8pm every night if I'm lucky.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I am a legal representative for people with Mental and Physical disabilities, I am also a trainer. I teach other people around the state on how to do my job. I got my BS in Addictions Counseling, and my Master's in Psychology. The job is extremely rewarding, but it doesn't pay that well for how much I have in school loans. I just graduated with my MA this year though, so hoping the extra degree pays off within the next 5-10 years.

I would really do some soul-searching and figure out what you are really passionate about before proclaiming a major. It is a big decision. Good Luck, college is fun!
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    School principal to 700 K-6th grade students. This is year 25 in education for me, which is hard to believe since I'm OBVIOUSLY still in my 20's - LOL.

It's a daily challenge for me to look at the rising obesity that I see with my students (many from low income families). I have taken it on as a personal quest to stress nutrition, healthy lunch choices in the cafeteria, and regular exercise. This year, we've implemented a salad bar with daily fresh fruit and vegetables (easier as we're in Southern California with agriculture surrounding us), and our 5th and 6th graders run every morning to start their day. I'm able to run with them at least one morning a week for a few laps. I even have moms in the morning doing Zumba classes in the cafeteria!!! :)

I wasn't originally going into education - it's what my mom did and I was a little confrontational as a teenager, but found that I was really drawn to it. Administration sort of had the same effect. I'm lucky, I found a job I still love even after this much time. My advice to anyone looking is to do what you have to in order to pay the bills, but don't give up on your passion. If there is any way your passion can be a career, you're fortunate, that's for sure!!!
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Right now I am a spa attendant and I nanny + cut hair on the side..
    I am much happier now making around 1k a month
    than I was making 1k a week, I'll tell you that much
    Do what you love, money will follow <3
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I am a Funambulist. . It's dangerous, exciting work and I get to travel alot. You should look into it.
  • namari
    namari Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work for an insurance company lodging claims for people when bad things happen :ohwell:

(ducks dirty looks and rotten tomatoes)
  • Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    I drive a log truck. i really enjoy it and can see myself doing it until i retire. just do what ever you enjoy and dont worry about the $, theres more to life than $