anyone know anything about chia seeds?!?

Options

Replies

• AvgJ0e
    AvgJ0e Posts: 6
    Options
    Absolutely. You take the chia seeds, mix with water, and spread them across a clay like figurine. Eventually it sprouts and you get a chia pet!
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Love Chia seeds.. You can mix them in your protein shake.. sprinkle over sweet potatoes, salads, oatmeal or even over your eggs. I started using them about a month ago and can attest to thier effectiveness.. just a tid bit of info I thought was usefull

Chia seeds are a functional food
    Used as an energy food for centuries, Chia has been rediscovered today as a "functional food" that can promote health or prevent disease. Chia seeds are considered to be one of nature's richest vegetarian source of omega-3 and fibre. They are rich in antioxidants and contain 18 amino acids, three times more iron than spinach, six times more calcium than milk and fifteen times more magnesium than broccoli.
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just read this the other day, seems worth trying them out. Good luck. Keep us posted how they are!

http://www.fleetfeetstlouis.com/news/chia-seeds?utm_source=Flyer+#91+-+10/17/12&utm_campaign=Flyer&utm_medium=email

thanks for the article! helps alot
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them but the only way I use them is coconut chia pudding. I get the little half pint wide mouth mason jars (any 1c jar or tupperware works) and line a bunch up. I put in each one:

1/4c almond milk
    1/4c coconut milk (the one in the milk section, not the one in a can)
    1T chia seeds
    a pinch of sweetened coconut flakes
    1t honey

Mix it or shake it up, refrigerate it (at least overnight or 8hrs) and then mix it up again right before eating it. It'll look weird but give it a try. It's really tasty and has a cool consistency. The seeds soak up the almond/coconut milk and get creamy. The coconut flakes and honey flavor and sweeten it.

Here's where I got the recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/mango-coconut-chia-pudding.html
    I like it better without fruit and I mix it into individual portions (her recipe makes 2 servings)
  • anarose13
    Options
    thanks everyone! i guess i will be doing some more research! looks like i will be keeping them around :smile:
  • JennaL890
    Options
    Chia seeds are great for you! High in fiber and very high in Omega 3 fatty acids which can help reduce LDL "bad cholesterol" and contribute to overall heart health. Omega 3 fatty acids also aid in nourishing the skin, alleviating joint problems and arthritis, and they contain a lot of other health benefits as well. If you add them into anything liquid, they turn quite gelatinous and can be filling. They are also high in antioxidants. (Just some of the benefits!)
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Love em in my yogart!
  • anarose13
    Options
    never thought to put them in yogurt, anyone have a bread recipe?
  • allie_girl
    Options
    Chia seeds are supposed to expand in your stomach, causing you to be fuller faster. They are also high in omega 3's. I usually put them in yogurt, on top of chicken and veggies, in shakes, and in oatmeal. Try something where you can mask the taste in case you don't like it. I like them a lot and I could eat them in spoonfulls hehehe
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    what part of the grocery are they in?
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For bread - just make any quickbread (banana, pumpkin, blueberry, etc) and throw about a tablespoon into the batter. I do this with ground flax seed or wheat germ and it hides well.

For where to get them...Whole Foods or something might have them but I order mine on Amazon (Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds). It seems kind of expensive (about $16 for a 2pack of 12 ounce bags) but it comes out to less than a quarter per tablespoon. And if you hate them, it's easy to hide them in quick breads or smoothies.
  • allie_girl
    Options
    Try an organic healthfood store - or the organic section of your grocery store. I bought my first batch from Amazon though.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Maybe get the new chia cookbook from your library. But basically, you get most benefit from them if eaten right from the package, not added to a muffin or anything baked. I add mine to yogurt.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    my mom gets into fad diets, the latest one is chia seeds. apparently there great for your health but we now have two great big bags of them and she has lost interest already. so, the question is what can i make with them and how can i work them into the family diet without a lot of effort?

I add them daily to my activia yogurt for breakfast. You can add them to a salad, crush them into powder to use in making bread,... there is a wealth of information and recipes for using them. Try this:
    http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/
    and if these don't sound good then turn to your favorite search engine nd search Chia recipies or cooking with Chia seeds :) Best of luck!
  • charleychirp
    Options
    I always cook some kind of whole grain porridge for breakfast. (Cracked Wheat, Steel Cut Oats, Mixed Grains, etc) I sometimes throw in a Tablespoon or so of the seeds into the porridge while it is cooking.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet but I ordered a 1lb bag on Amazon to start making some overnight oatmeal that uses it.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are supposed to expand in your stomach, causing you to be fuller faster. They are also high in omega 3's. I usually put them in yogurt, on top of chicken and veggies, in shakes, and in oatmeal. Try something where you can mask the taste in case you don't like it. I like them a lot and I could eat them in spoonfulls hehehe

No so much a "taste" as it is they are so small that when chewing they are apt to get stuck in teethe like strawberry seeds. adding them to something smooth that is swallowed without chewing is preferred by most users.
  • Mywounds
    Mywounds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are full of omega 3. Great for bones and joints. You don't have to grind them like you would with flax seeds. I add them to my smoothies and soups.
  • Kkleo2102
    Options
    Because of how much they expand in size they fill you up. They're not bad. I add 2 tablespoons to my breakfast cereal on weekends. I really don't suggest adding it to a smoothie, unless you drink it right away. I let mine sit for a half hour and it was so thick I could barely drink it out of the straw lol. Check out some Raw recipes that use chia seeds. Like chia porridge. I suggest the Red Mill's brand. It's cheaper than most or all of the other brands out there. I think I paid $8 for a bag and there were four other brands that were $15 or more.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds are cool because they absorb liquid and become kind of gelatinous. So you can use them to make healthy puddings, to make smoothies, etc. They're really good for you too. :)