the fake 'I'm so fat' comments

Options

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It's probably not fake. Just because they are thinner than you does not mean they don't legitimately have low self esteem.

THIS.

I'm "skinny" and make similar comments. Not everyone is comfortable with their body. Just because my love handle is smaller than yours doesn't mean it doesn't bother me.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I always say, 'if you think you're so fat, then what must you think of me?' Normally shuts them up,
    :laugh:
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can go either way on this, because I think it's often true that the most "beautiful" or "skinny" people are the most insecure, because they're the ones who've been conditioned their whole lives to think that's all that's important. So when they gain one pound, they may freak out about it more than a "regular" person. But who knows.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed with it too. When they grab the smallest amount of SKIN and say look at all this fat!!! errrr

But the majority of them most likely have low self esteem issues that wouldnt mind getting a nice no you look fine comment once in a while.

Its the ones that comment things like Im so fat and ugly heeheehee tee hee that get to me
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    It is annoying whether the woman is thin or overweight. Why bother standing around with anyone yapping about being fat? I am overweight and don't need to tell other people, as they can already tell. There is a difference between seeking support and seeking attention. I don't have patience for the latter.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    It's probably not fake. Just because they are thinner than you does not mean they don't legitimately have low self esteem.

This.
  • louised88
    Options
    Does anyone else get annoyed with thin women who talk about how fat they are all the time? I am not talking about the insecure type who feel they are fat and have body issues. I am referring to women who know they have an amazing figure, like to show it off and are very aware that they look good. I know someone like this and it really annoys me when she will come up with a random 'Oh I'm so fat' when she knows there is a group of people (mostly bigger people) around and someone will say 'Noooo! you have an amazing figure' or 'Don't be ridiculous you are stunning'. I wouldn't mind if I thought it was genuine but it is so obvious that she is just after compliments. I know there are a lot of people with genuine body issues but I know this person isn't one of them.
    Yes it is quite annoying, but if it's someone that is "just after compliments" then it sounds like she would fall in the category of "the insecure type". Maybe she's not insecure about her body, but she has other insecurities that mean she can only feel good about herself if she's getting regular compliments on her body.

I've always found it strange that people's behaviour is so easily dismissed as "attention seeking"; don't you ever wonder why they need to seek attention so desperately? Not saying that this woman doesn't sound extremely annoying, but it's something to think about.

The attitude around 'attention-seekers' kind of worry me a bit. People are entitled to enjoy attention, if you don't want to give it to them, don't engage. There also seems to be rush to label what could potentially be cries for help or an attempt to reach out for support as attention seeking. And usually the people labelled attention seekers are women., which makes me side-eye it a bit.
  • Sanduh36
    Sanduh36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We had one girl do that at work... skinniest person in the room. My other co-worker piped up and told her straight out to F*** off. I cheered. LMAO!!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different "definition" of fat. I'm now, after my journey, am 5'11 and 148. I'm not fat what so ever (my BMI is 20 and my BF% is 21). Actually I weigh less now than I did in HS. But there are days I feel fatter and heavier than I did at 190 (beginning weight). Everyone has the right to think whatever they think of themselves. I'm sorry if us average size women's opinions of themselves annoy you, but it is what it is.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just compliment them and tell them they look nice.

I enjoy making people happy and feel better about themselves.

Sometimes fit people have "fat days"
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    next time she says it, why not call her out on her *kitten*?
  • louised88
    Options
    Everyone has a different "definition" of fat. I'm now, after my journey, am 5'11 and 148. I'm not fat what so ever (my BMI is 20 and my BF% is 21). Actually I weigh less now than I did in HS. But there are days I feel fatter and heavier than I did at 190 (beginning weight). Everyone has the right to think whatever they think of themselves. I'm sorry if us average size women's opinions of themselves annoy you, but it is what it is.

Congrats on your loss. And you should feel free to express yourself if some days you're feeling a little low. This attitude of 'Shut up unless we think you're fat enough to be able to express how you feel about your body' helps no-one.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    Fat Talk is a means for women to bond, however negative it is.
    http://www.livescience.com/1359-female-fat-talk-mandatory-study-finds.html

MANDATORY! WOMEN TALK ABOUT YOUR FAT NOW! :D
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    What if she isn't after compliments? What if she TRULY believes she's fat and suffers from body dismorphia(or whatever the hell it's called)? Is it acceptable for her to say that she's fat then?

Or is she only allowed to say she's fat if she's truly fat?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I just compliment them and tell them they look nice.

I enjoy making people happy and feel better about themselves.

Sometimes fit people have "fat days"

I LOVE this. If people are fishing, why not give them what they need? Does it really hurt to just say; You look great!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Look, some girls have less on their bodies, and while for us they may not be FAT, for them they may feel fat or be 10kg heavier than what the normally are! BE patient and dont be nasty to people like, they normally have a low self esteem. and the last thing they need is someone making fun of them

I have a friend who I think is tiny and one day we were talking a bout the same thing and she explained to me, how tired she gets of people telling her she isnt fat and she has nothing to loose etc, she also got undressed and showed me where she wants to loose, and I could see that she had gained weight. She said to me that day, I am not say I am as big or as overweight as others, I am saying I feel fat! I am overweight for my body.

Totally this. I work with quite a few women who are substantially overweight, while I just really want/need to lose 5 pounds. You really can't even tell when I'm dressed. But to me, this five pounds feels horrible on my body, and I hate the way it makes me look and feel. I think all these women may want to shoot me, but it's the truth - my truth. And I don't have self esteem issues, I just hate these darned five pounds!
  • JBWILLOW
    JBWILLOW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How about repying, "It does seem like you've gained a bit of weigh recently..." :laugh:

THis^^ LMFAO! :laugh:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How do you know who has self-esteem issues and who doesn't?
    I always say, 'if you think you're so fat, then what must you think of me?' Normally shuts them up,

Well, they really aren't thinking of you; their self-esteem has nothing to do with you. Of course it shuts them up; you said something to make them feel guilty, ashamed, and uncomfortable. You may understand how it feels when someone heavier than you says that to you someday.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think maybe they're trying to relate. I had a friend in the past who was always having money troubles. I definitely did not talk about how well we were doing. Every once in awhile, I'd commiserate over an unexpected expense that came up for us "oh yes, I know what you mean. We just put the truck in the shop this morning. There goes any extra $$ we thought we had."
  • Two2Love
    Two2Love Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Kelly Ripa makes those types of comments all the time and it totally pisses me off because she is probably underweight with no body fat.