Were You A Fat Child?

Options

Replies

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I was always the biggest kid in my class, and not in height. They calle din "husky" bacl then. Big at birth, big baby, big grade schooler, big in high school, big all the way to my final semester in College. 250 was my max. Then I got serious about it and have kept it mostly off for 13 years now.

Got back up to 208 and got scared, back dwon to 198 now and working to get to 175. Swim, bike, run, baby!
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No, I was pretty skinny until I moved to Canada at 15. The weight started slowly to stick to me, I believe it was due to the change in the types of food consumed.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to how many people here started out life as an overweight child. Did you?

I was a chubby kid, but lost it all by age 12 and stayed at goal weight until after I had my last baby 13 years ago. I don't recall doing anything exrtraordinary to lose my early childhood "baby fat"....maybe I just grew out of it, I don't know. But I DO remember the schoolyard teasing..."Fatty Fatty Two By Four, can't get through the bathroom door"....wow, kids sure can be mean.

I was very very skinny as a kid. And I got teased very badly too.
  • oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight ever since I could remember. Never had a time when I was not overweight although there was a point where my body thinned out.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was a "fat child". I was recently looking at pictures of myself as a child, and it seems that I've been overweight since a very young age.

One of my earliest memories is of the pediatrition telling my mother (in front of me) that I was already "obese", and I needed to lose weight. I never listened.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    no, I played a lot of sports until 8th grade. After I quit I started gaining weight...
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I weighed 10 pounds when I was born. Ive always been overweight.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to how many people here started out life as an overweight child. Did you?

I was a chubby kid, but lost it all by age 12 and stayed at goal weight until after I had my last baby 13 years ago. I don't recall doing anything exrtraordinary to lose my early childhood "baby fat"....maybe I just grew out of it, I don't know. But I DO remember the schoolyard teasing..."Fatty Fatty Two By Four, can't get through the bathroom door"....wow, kids sure can be mean.

Yup, I've been overweight from childhood, once I hit puberty I really gained weight.
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was bigger than other kids my age. I've always been overweight; since I was about 8.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I was at a normalish weight in fifth grade because I barely ate, but I was extremely out of shape aka skinny fat. Was overweight before and after fifth grade. Didn't quite enter the obese territory until college, though.

Right now I weigh about the same as I did in late sixth grade... but taller and way fitter!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My parents said that I looked like ET pretty much from when I was born till I was in grade school. But they said that even though I looked like I weighed less than the other kids, people would pick me up expecting a little cloud-like bundle of joy like other babies and be quite surprised. :laugh:

But when I hit middle school, I remember being fairly large. I don't know if this was just my perception as kids that age are really suddenly dealing with a lot of self-esteem issues—but I was a short kid and I wore a lot of the same size clothes as my mom at that age, and she wasn't skinny either. I evened out a lot by high school though, and didn't really have any issues with my weight until college, where the food court and bad choices really took a toll. Been working at it ever since.

My whole family has really struggled with their weight as teenagers, evened out a little, and then again in adulthood. *shrug* I honestly think some of it is just hereditary. I'm also finding out that even though we're all short, it doesn't matter if we weigh 140 or 120, we still kind of look the same. Hoping that building a significant amount of muscle will change that for me, though, as I was NEVER athletic, and I bet that's part of the problem!
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    I've been really skinny until I turned 15. Before that I could eat a lot without gaining any weight. When I turned 15 I kept those habits, but I started to fatten... I took about 40lbs in 18 months :/
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Fat is relative. Because I was the only non-jock is a family of jocks and the only one wearing husky size, I was constantly told I was fat. I was never good enough. Oldest of 4 boys with one older sister. I spent my childhood trying to avoid being noticed.
    Nothing is more deflating when you finally hit a ball over the fence and dad says "it's about time. You should have done that years ago." (like my younger athletic brothers.)
    My point? When I actually did get fat I didn't notice because I had been taught from a child that I was fat. My body was just catching up with my self image.
    Later, when I developed bulimia and got down to 155 pounds, I still thought I was fat. It didn't matter that I was using a regular bandana for a belt because a leather belt dud into the points of my pelvic bones.
    As a father of two teens I am very conscious of body image and helping my kids have honest body images.No false praise or harsh words either. My kids go to the gym with me when they don't have too much homework.
    My biggest concern is that when I get to my goal weight is that I will get obsessed again and start thinking lower is better. But this time I have support that I did not have those decades ago. Between my wife and a doctor that actually cares, my goals are being set reasonably. The metric trackers here help provide an object reference point for balance as well.
    Childhood scars are not as easy to get over as those who have never struggled think they are. I am approaching 52 and some times things still trigger old engrained responses that I know are irrational.
    The best I can do i make sure I don't inflict those same scars on my own children. So far I have succeeded. :bigsmile:
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was always the smallest kid in my class throughout grade school. If the class was lined up from shortest to tallest, I was first. I wasn't just small, I was petite. Then menstruation started. I swear I jumped 4 sizes practically overnight. That should have been the first clue that hormones and I do not get along. After 2 children it really ballooned. It's taken me decades and finally type 2 diabetes to figure out why most diets didn't work for me.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thin as a stick until I was11 years old then I got fluffy
  • lgreen37
    lgreen37 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I remember my sister shopping in the jr section while my mom took me to the "chubby chick" section*
    I was very heavy- I literally started cooking when I was in the kindergarten. I was a very independent "latch key" kid.
    Needless to say - I would sneak and eat! By end of highschool I lost all those pounds and gained them back when I married. I was in a tumultuous marriage and turned to food. Not good! Any way, here I am on this awesome site - ready to get rid of these 38lbs once and for all :)
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was a phat kid! I gained weight around 1st or 2nd grade and haven't lost it, yet! lol! Interesting enough, I shaped out, so I was a big girl with nice curves. After a while I stopped getting teased. That probably ended in middle school. (At least it wasn't done to my face!) So yeah - right here! I'll be 30 in December and can literally say that I've been phat almost all of my life.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic! :smile:

Well, oddly enough, I always FELT big (rather than fat) as a child, compared to other kids - I was very conscious of that from a young age. But when I look back at photos now, I just think I looked pretty average really.

I was kind of a "hefty" teenager though - I remember I was wearing a UK size 16 by the age of about 13.

What I do know for sure though is that food was always the highlight of my day, and my Mum tended to use sweet treats as rewards. :drinker:

I feel like I've been struggling with my weight for most of my life! My most sucessful dieting attempt was in my early 20's, and when I look back on photos from then, I can't believe how slim I looked. But it didn't last long, once I settled down and had children! Been yo-yo-ing for the past 20 years! :ohwell:
  • msmindylee
    Options
    As a child, I wasn't particularly fat but I wasn't thin either. I wore regular sizes, just on the upper end. The struggle didn't really start until I started believing the people who thought I should weigh less than I did. That's when the "diet until I lose something, then eat again and gain back everything plus" cycle.

I ain't doing that again, honey.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was. Not really until 13-ish age though. Before that I think I was pretty average. When I hit puberty, everything grew. I don't think I was truely abnormally large until my late teens, early 20's though. I graduated @ about 180 - 10 years ago. It's a nice weight for me; I'm workin on getting back there...