Were You A Fat Child?

Options

Replies

• kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Fat, Fat, Fat, hell I was born over 11 pounds...always fat, I lost some when i was 18 but gained it back quickly and just got fatter and fatter. After my divorce the fat was still piled on daily...this is the best shape I have been in my life and I fear everyday it will go back to being the larger person that I always have been, sometimes I feel like I am hanging on for dear life. To me it is a struggle everyday and inside I still have a fat persons thoughts and images, I don't know any other way cause that is just who I am and always have been.
  • Samstudent88
    Options
    Yes.

My dad lovingly refered to me as his other son. Both parents called me "chuck". I began to lose weight in Highschool, and although I looked much better I was still considered fat by BMI standards but It was nice to look around the class room and not be the heaviest kid in class. Then I got pregnant and had to start all over...still not...the size I'd like to be....I'm a dress size 10 and 195lbs. But it's difficult...and children are very mean.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    No, quite the opposite. I was a bookworm extraordinaire - spent all the time I could quietly reading somewhere. I got in trouble for it in fact. Took apart my Battleship game to use the light in it to read under the covers after bedtime, used a hand mirror to direct a sliver of light from around my bedroom door onto the page so I could read after bedtime...reading was my life. Ridiculously sedentary, also underweight despite eating everything that wasn't nailed down.
    After puberty hit my weight slowly rose to normal by age 15. After that became overweight and have lost 100 pounds or more several times.
  • anodas
    anodas Posts: 4
    Options
    I wasn't fat until after I had my first child. However, I always THOUGHT I was , even at 5'7" and 117 lbs. I had four brothers that picked on me constantly. They called me fat and ugly.......and I believed them. My dad and mom always told me to just ignore it. I married a man that treated me about the same. My late husband , whom I was with for over twenty years treated me like gold. I got hurt in 95 and gained 70 lbs with the steroids. He never ever said a word about it.only told me that to him I was the most beautiful woman he ever seen!. When he died, I lost 103lbs. I have gained back about 40 in the last two years with having steroid shots again. I also quit smoking, started when he died, and smoked for almost 5 years. It took me almost 50 years to confront my brothers ( one is dead now) ........but they claim they didn't realize the hurt they were doing to me. They have all changed considerably and when they they make a joke, I let them know , it is not funny to hurt someone on purpose.....it is not a joke! They are doing much better. I weigh less than ANY of them! !LOL
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was the skinny rail, unhealthy and uncoordinated. My family tried to fatten me up by feeding me sugar. I was a very picky eater and when I look at my high school pictures I would have thought I was anorexic. But it was more that food didn't interest me. My diet was sugar laced cereal with milk in the morning (no wonder I was so tired at school and unable to concentrate), lunch was usually a peanut butter sandwich or "lunch meat" on white bread with a twinkie and dinner I would pick at but eat the dessert. When I could I bought lots of candy - didn't much like fats including chips and chocolate bars until much later in life. So from early on I was "bad carb" addicted. Then as I got older I discovered all the other bad processed foods. Plus I loved to bake - breads and sweets - so it didn't take long to develop a weight problem. And of course once you get on that rollercoaster with take out foods included you start to lose perspective about portion size.

I cannot remember anytime before now when I actually ate "clean" foods. And smaller portions are still new. But luckily the new way of eating my husband and I have adopted has me cooking from scratch healthy meals and we've lost the cravings for the "bad carb" processed foods.

So I don't think that just the "fat kids" have a challenge as they get older, some of us skinny runts turned obese blobs :blushing: can too. But reversing the problem is possible as many success stories on MFP demonstrate and we are on our way to be one of those.
  • Sarinene
    Options
    I've been fat all my life, really. Always been the heaviest in my class, etc. Until two years ago I was considered obese, in fact!! Now I'm at a healthy weight, though :)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes. I've been overweight/obese almost my entire life. As a kid it didn't really impact me much because I'd get a belly over the winter and then be 'normal' by the end of the summer from all the running around, playing, and sports I did during the summer break.

By the time I was in 9th grade, I stopped losing the weight in the summer. I lost a solid 15 pounds in 12th grade after joining the swim team, but even that loss still had me rather large. I weight less today than I did at my lowest weight in high school - and I still have 30 pounds to go.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No, I wasn't. I was actually in pretty good shape until I got pregnant in 2007 with my 1st & gained 80lbs, lost only 30lbs got pregnant with my 2nd & gained 50 more lbs & then got down 40lbs & got pregnant a 3rd time. My baby is now 4 months old & I'm really trying to get this weight off for good. So I really have only been fat for the last 4 years & hopefully I won't make it a 5th :)
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wasn't fat as a child or a teenager or university student, and I lost the baby weight with my first two children. But than after the twins I just couldn't lose the weight and gained more.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    infant- before I started walking I was a tubbo!!. Born in the 50"s my mom fed me karo corn syrup in my formula or water and i was really fat (just when all the fat cells were forming, which i would have my entire life!!!)Thinned down when i started walking.

toddler - I was normal weight, till about 6.

child- I was normal but had a very big appetite. if it werent for all the sports and exercise i got i wouldve been fat for sure-my teachers and counselours at summer camp, always wrote about my hearty appetitie in my report cards....I was the fastest girl runner in my elementary school, and faster than most boys!!!

teen: I was normal weight till I was 15. I was a cheerleader and still got exercise.

High school: If i wasnt constantly dieting i wouldve been chubby!! would go on and off diets. fast then starve. At about 16 I dicovered diet pills-like dexedrine and then moved onto methamphetamine for my last yr in high school, so I was skinny 100 - 105 lbs. at 5 ft 1 inch and muscular body-so my ideal was really more like 116.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    No, I was a skinny kid. I was even a little underweight as a teenager. Unbelievably, I thought I was fat. It wasn't until I was around 30 years old that I started to gain weight. Then when I quit smoking I really packed on some pounds. Now I'm obese. People who knew me then probably wouldn't recognize me now.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I was pretty thin until a baseball injury in college. Nobody saw me going pro, but suddenly not being active, but eating like I was became my first part of a yo-yo with my weight.
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I was slightly chunky when I was little, but I really started to gain weight when I was around 11 years old.
    I remember being 12 years old and hardly being able to fit in a ladies size 12. By the time I was a sophomore in High School, I wore 18/20 and averaged 240 lbs. It was so upsetting and confusing. I was teased unmercifully and I really wanted to do something about it, but I didn't know how to change things.
    I didn't eat the greatest (you know...being a teenager and all), but I ate better than many of the skinnier kids.

As an adult, the lowest I have weighed is 165. I weigh 166 today.
    Maybe that doesn't seem like much to most people, but to me, it is an amazing achievement that I honestly never thought would be possible back when I was that sad broody little chubby girl in High School.
    And whenever someone makes comments about my weight now, I tell them that they don't know my story and need to walk a mile in my well worn shoes before they even think about saying another word.
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    I have photos of myself as a thin 4-year-old. I don't remember her at all.

All my elementary photos show me "chubby" and in high school I was about 50 pounds overweight.

Now I waaaaayyyy more overweight. I stopped walking 2 miles a day and that is what I blame!
  • GetFitCarly
    Options
    No I didnt gain weight till around 13-14.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Not really,
    I was slightly plump around the ages of 10-11 but then I sprouted up to around 5'9 and later on, 5'11, and was, I believe, within the normal weight range.As an adult, I have never been overweight, according to BMI, but certainly have weighed more than I was comfortable with.
  • NorthwestPA
    NorthwestPA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was the fat kid and short. They called me an Umpa Lumpa.
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    Nope. Totally a skinny kid. Didn't start gaining weight until high school.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had a weight problem as long as I could remember.
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    Born fat. In middle school, I went all the way up to 220 fat pounds. The weight sort of came off on it's own; I dropped to 181 and slowly crept my way up to 191. After I turned 18, I started expanding like I was Sherwin Klump from The Nutty Professor, lmao.