What do you count as water?

Options

Replies

• Raya1980
    Options
    Water and anything I mix water with, also green tea.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just water
  • babzog
    babzog Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm curious what types of drinks everyone counts toward the daily water intake
    anything with H2O in it, as that's what determines my water balance.

^^ This.

Coffee and tea count because they're made largely from..... water!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Water. I don't drink anything, but water these days. Just don't want the chemicals, sweetners and artifical sweetners in my body.

Water is a chemical.

Inigo-montoya.jpg
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Water. I don't drink anything, but water these days. Just don't want the chemicals, sweetners and artifical sweetners in my body.

Water is a chemical.

Inigo-montoya.jpg

Now we are going in circles. We had the water is a chemical (which it is) debate back on page 4 or 5 ;)
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I generally only count plain water...but your question sparked my curiosity and I did some Googling. Here's an interesting article: http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=66701&sc=805
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Now we are going in circles. We had the water is a chemical (which it is) debate back on page 4 or 5 ;)

Yes, but did anyone post that really clever picture of Inigo? I mean.... come on.... Princess Bride FTW!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    wow cant believe this is still going, honestly water is water, as a RN when I put up fluids to prevent dehydration, its generally saline with a dash of glucose, predominantly water certainly not tea, milk etc .
    In the IV, sure - IV infusion of milk would be a bit problematic...
    But if you are logging someone's oral intake, you'd count the other beverages, no?
  • Time4achange77
    Options
    water only
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    h2o
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    wow cant believe this is still going, honestly water is water, as a RN when I put up fluids to prevent dehydration, its generally saline with a dash of glucose, predominantly water certainly not tea, milk etc .
    In the IV, sure - IV infusion of milk would be a bit problematic...
    But if you ae logging someone's oral intake, you'd count the other beverages, no?
    [/qIuote]

In urology where fluid intake is extremely inportant- input and output recorded, we give them water to drink, they may Have 1 tea or coffee, and we do add that to the balance so yes you are correct, but they are consuming 2 litres of water, so 200 mls of tea can be added but water is the key, good clear urine with a good output is needed, can you imagine giving a renal paientt, 2 litres of coffee hmm I wouldnt like to consider the stress on an underfunctioning system.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    WATER!
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Uh, not sure if trololol or srs.

But just in case... just water. Even my herbal tea gets logged as food.
  • zenhappens
    Options
    Anything that contains H20 will hydrate you, with the possible exception of, like, milk of magnesia.

That means fruit, vegetables, most any food really... Diet soda, coffee, tea, those all hydrate you.

Overhydrating is as much of a problem as dehydtration.

Actually, any caffeinated beverage will be acting as a diuretic and pulling water out of your system. What I tell my patients is that you would only count water and herbal tea (non-stimulant or thermogenic, like chamomile for example) as "water".
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The amount of caffeine in a caffeinated beverage is nowhere near enough to counteract the amount of water you're ingesting at the same time. And that doesn't even consider the fact that someone who regularly consumes caffeine builds a tolerance and becomes immune to the (incredibly slight) diuretic effect.

A medical dose of caffeine to have a diuretic effect is 700 milligrams, with no water. An average diet soda has about 40 milligrams, along with 12 oz of water. There's been quite a bit of research on this topic over the last decade.

From the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    But saline with a dash of glucose is water with salt and sugar in it. How is that any different than tea, which is just water with tea leaf extracts in it? Or coffee, which is just water with coffee bean extracts in it? Both of those are "predominantly water."
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The amount of caffeine in a caffeinated beverage is nowhere near enough to counteract the amount of water you're ingesting at the same time. And that doesn't even consider the fact that someone who regularly consumes caffeine builds a tolerance and becomes immune to the (incredibly slight) diuretic effect.

A medical dose of caffeine to have a diuretic effect is 700 milligrams, with no water. An average diet soda has about 40 milligrams, along with 12 oz of water. There's been quite a bit of research on this topic over the last decade.

From the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Do you feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall? I cannot believe the myths, lies, and misunderstandings on here, the worst being from people who claim to be in the medical profession. I think they teach this garbage in medical school. Links to real research (not dr oz, not weight watchers, not oprah) but medical peer reviewed literature is ignored.

H2O is water. No matter what it comes in it is water. No matter what is added it is still water. Your body takes the water out of whatever you eat, drink, or inject and uses it as water in all bodily functions, then the kidneys filter it out as urine.

If you want to count glasses of water, count them however you want. it is your record of what you eat. Count water, count pop, count soup. It does not matter as long as you are consistent.

HOWEVER,

Don't believe that only clear, pure water is necessary for hydration! Don't believe that the amount of caffeine in a coffee, tea, coke, or mountain dew is going to dehydrate you, particularly if you drink it every day. It just is not possible.

Yes it may make you pee more, but that is because it contains water and when you drink water, you pee.

And please don't believe any of those cleansing myths that tell you that you MUST drink gallons of water to be healthy and detoxify. Your body removes all "toxins" as they are broken down by the liver and other organs in your body.

And if you want links to any real research on any of this, just let me know. I'll send you the papers. I am a professional librarian in a corporate library. I am a professional engineer. I believe science.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pizza, beer and buffalo wings... dam I love my water...
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just water. I don't count tea or coffee. I don't drink any soda or flavored drinks.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Just water....

FYI, I wouldn't count coffee or tea (unless it is herbal tea) as water because they are actually dehydrating and will require you to need additional water.

That's good to know. Makes sense too!