Anyone else have issues with low carb diets?

Options

Replies

• Type1Rachelle
    Options
    I try to stay at about 100 carbs a day which is very very mild ketosis. This is literally the only way I can lose weight. After having 2 kids and being on bed rest with both of them, I gained a lot of weight and my metabolism is shot!

exercise raises metabolism like crazy - keep doing what you're doing if you're happy, but if you want to adjust, you might want to consider upping the exercise.

Yep I run 6 miles 3 days a week and lift heavy the other 3 days. Its working for me so that's all that matters :)

great! good for you, keep at it then :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    And on the flipside:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-10-22/health/34652373_1_high-carb-cognitive-decline-mild-cognitive-impairment

Seniors gorging on a carb rich diet are four times more likely to develop mild cognitive impairment- an early warning of Alzheimer's disease, shows a new research.

there's nothing about the source of the carbs in that study/article. I thought I was pretty clear when I was disputing non-processed naturally occurring carbs such as fruit and vegetables.

True, but there's nothing about the sources of meat that strict followers of ketogenic diets eat, either. Or the hormones and other crap that are in most of those meats.

Like I said at first, though, I listen to my body. Not my cravings, but my body by how it is performing and how I feel, mentally, physically, and emotionally. There are times when I do think to myself, okay, this is going to be a day of more carbs because of how I wake up feeling or how I feel during or after a workout.

As for veggies, I don't like them and if I eat many, I tend to get queasy. Even when I was a 'vegetarian' of sorts for years, I didn't eat enough veggies. So nothing has changed. In fact, if anything, I eat more now than I did.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    Losing that 100 pounds far outweighs the temporary stress low carbing can induce in some people.

exactly my point, thank you.

people are obsessed with losing the weight as fast as possible no matter what the cost to their health.

and heart attacks are not "normal" at ANY age - 27 or 72.
  • larsmac83
    Options
    I completely agree that people are going to use what they want to use to lose weight. I'm currently on a very low carb diet, but I am also doing it with a doctor's supervision, and the way I've been told to do it is with low-cholesterol, low-fat, lean proteins. I can't eat all the eggs and bacon I want (as I had a friend yell at me before, because she thought that's what I was doing...). I'm also doing this because I'm insulin intolerant. My body simply can't process the insulin being made, so the glucose isn't getting into my cells.

I also know a bit about biology. Yes, the brain can only use glucose for energy, but pyruvate can be converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis (creation of glucose from a non-carb substance). It takes longer than just ingesting a carb with glucose, but it does the same thing.

To avoid kidney damage, most people don't know to up their water intake...by a LOT. I drink about 168oz of water a day so that the nephrons in my kidneys don't crystallize into kidney stones because of my diet. I also take vitamins for any other nutrients that I'm not getting through food. And I can eat fruits and veggies, but just the non-starchy ones.

It CAN be done in a more healthful way, but I know that most people hear low carb and think that the person only eats meat and loses weight. And you are correct...THAT is very unhealthy. But it can be done. I still have over 100lbs to lose, and my doctor is adjusting my calorie intake based on how fast I lose, so I'm still losing fast, but not in way that will be harmful to me long-term.

thanks for sharing - I think you meant "insulin resistant" not "tolerant" - your body doesn't use the insulin as efficiently as it should because of a variety of factors. it's great that your Dr has you on a low fat diet - dietary fat leads to insulin resistance. as for the kidney damage, it has more to do with ketone bodies, no mater how much water intake, but hydration is important. one thing I would recommend (and I'm sure your Dr already does) is exercise as it increases insulin sensitivity. good luck! :)

Lol. yes. Sorry. INtolerant or resistant. =) Thanks. And yes. My exercise has been upped dramatically (esp. for someone who loves her couch!)
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carbs by cutting out some junk food - not all - and getting some more variety. But carbs are healthy if used the right way. More whole wheat, less white. More oatmeal, nuts, etc. as snack instead of chips, etc. I still have goodies, just not as much. I cannot do no-carb or super-low carb, because I am a vegetarian and LOVE pasta, bread, etc. To each their own, as long as they are being healthy. :)

Edit: I said LOT instead of LOVE haha :)
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Of course, she talked about the effect of ketosis on the kidneys, not fuel sources for the brain. Besides, the fact that the brain can use ketones doesn't change the fact that glucose is the brain's preferred source.

Not exactly. If glucose is available, the brain will use it. As far as "preferred", however, the brain has been shown to run better on ketones. The brain only truly requires about 30g to 40g glucose, which can be synthesized by the body, but it will use around 120g to 130g if available.

Thank you.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    So if I understand that right, starvation ketoacidosis won't kill someone who still produces insulin. The starvation itself is another story. And we aren't talking about fasting and starvation anyway.

I didn't think we were talking life/death either - I thought we were talking about health? ;)
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Depending on what terms you put out, I'm low carb. I admit it. I try to eat 60g of carbs a day. I also have a mild gluten intolerance (upset stomach, joint pain when I eat a lot of grains), so I kind of have to be :)

Ketosis is fine, with doctor supervision/permission, for people with a healthy liver/kidneys/pancreas
    Ketoacidosis (diabetic version) can be deadly.

Your body NEEDS glucose for some vital organ function (including brain...)
    HOWEVER, you don't NEED 400g of carbs a day.

The reason I initially looked into 'low-carb' is because when your body depletes it's glycogen/glucose store, it starts to metabolize body fat (triglycerides) for energy. IT IS LESS EFFICIENT, I will give you that. My logic is... why work off the 4 slices of bread I ate before I start working off body fat when I can just burn through a little bit of sugar and then start in on body fat.

I won't debate saturated fat/cholesterol vs carbs here, but feel free to PM me and I'll re-do the research (I've let the details slip), and give you my info with sources :D

I will say, that after eating 'low-carb' for a few weeks (same activity level as before), I have a lot more energy.

It is definitely not for everybody... but I like it. I won't criticize people for eating a sandwhich, but I'll be more than happy to explain my reasons why I choose to eat low-carb.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Losing that 100 pounds far outweighs the temporary stress low carbing can induce in some people.

people are obsessed with losing the weight as fast as possible no matter what the cost to their health.

Neither is cancer. I hope everything you eat is organic and grown on an island in the middle of nowhere (I suggest an island quite far from Japan at the moment), because otherwise you are being exposed to carcinogens just like us meat eaters.

And once again, his heart attack was related to an infection, not his diet.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    dietary fat leads to insulin resistance.

I think those studies are based off of ultra high fat diets..........which typically lead to subjects being overweight, hence the insulin resistance starting to occur.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I think some people feel they need to go to extremes in order to change old habits, so the low-carb approach helps them establish new rules to live by in order to lose weight. They usually don't have a long-term perspective on it but are focused on making the *number on the scale* go down as fast as possible. If it works for them without endangering their health, all well and good. I've seen it go both ways - some people lose well on low-carb and figure out how to maintain but others don't. My observation over the years is that nothing works for every single person out there. We all have different needs. I try to encourage people to do their research, observe the effects of their choices on their health (beyond the number on the scale) and find out what works for them.

That said, Atkins was an all-out disaster for me, so I definitely have issues with it. For me. Couldn't PAY me to do that again. Once I stopped listening to all the "experts" and learned to pay attention to what does and doesn't work for ME, I finally lost all that weight and have been very successful at keeping it off, and have improved blood lipids, glucose levels, and inflammatory markers as well.

But not everyone would want to try it my way, or be able to stick with it, so... to each's own.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, lack of ice cream being the most significant.

^^ THIS!

I also think the lack of carbs makes them crabby. They always get their panties in a bunch when I post in a paleo thread. :laugh:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped listening to all the "experts" and learned to pay attention to what does and doesn't work for ME

But not everyone would want to try it my way, or be able to stick with it, so... to each's own.

I <3 this.

Pay attention to your body and do what works for you.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think you are misterming this as low carb

I am on a 'low carb diet' my doctor advised it for diabetes II - to do this I limt my carbs to 45-60 g 3 times a day mostly from veg and pulses some whole grains so I eat between 120-180 g of carb a day but within my calorie goal of 1200

The diets you are talking about are really high protein diets where the carb intake in so low the dieter goes in ketosis

Would you mind not bundling us all together because I do think eat quite healthy

I would not consider 120-180 low carb. I think you're confused.

Considering the average person probably loads up on carbs to 300+ a day, 120-180 could be considered "low carb".

I'm not doing true low carb - the crazy low levels don't do well with me. I keep me levels around 50-120 (which when I tracked how i would eat before was a reduction of 60-75% of what I was eating in carbs), but since starting I have found out I'm gluten sensitive, so thus I stay away from grains. I love rice, but now notice I feel different later when I eat it, so I tend to try only for brown rice. I'm also lactose intolerant and have several other food allergies, so i have to adapt every "diet" out there just to eat.

My biggest thing is trying to avoid alot of processed foods, heavy sugars (and I found out the hard way most sugar alcohols don't set well with me), worthless starches (white tatoes - now I do & will eat sweet tatoes, sorry I refuse to give up those) and more veggies and protein. Yes I do add fats, but I try to go with the healthy ones - olive, coconut, nuts & seeds, avadcos, ect.

My goal was to avoid ketiois, I didn't want to tax my system with that. BUT... Every person is different. What works for me, may not for you - and visa versa!
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Yes, lack of ice cream being the most significant.

^^ THIS!

I also think the lack of carbs makes them crabby. They always get their panties in a bunch when I post in a paleo thread. :laugh:

Lack of calories in general makes me crabby. :laugh:
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    to whoever said dietary fat leads to insulin resistance, please explain... because as far as I've researched, it's excessive carbohydrate intake that causes this. carbs=sugar to your digestive system... sugar causes insulin response in the body. Too much sugar = a lot of insulin. Just like staying in a smelly room for a few minutes, you get numb to the smell... too much insulin after a while and your body gets numb to it, hence a 'resistance'.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Not exactly. If glucose is available, the brain will use it. As far as "preferred", however, the brain has been shown to run better on ketones. The brain only truly requires about 30g to 40g glucose, which can be synthesized by the body, but it will use around 120g to 130g if available.

the brain cannot run on zero glucose - that was the only point I was making.

Nobody said it could. Including me.
    ketogenic diets are especially helpful for those with epilepsy actually because ketones essentially slow the activity of the brain.

Slow the activity? I haven't heard it put that way in any of the research I've read. Can you point me to a source? (seriously, not being snarky.)
    this is why people often complain of headaches and mental fogginess while on low carb diets.

These are due to the adjustment to burning less glucose, and are temporary. Once the adjustment is made, many people report feeling noticeably sharper and more alert mentally than they did while eating high-carb.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Apparently if you can put Atkins in the same category as South Beach you know nothing about South Beach. It taught me how to eat to sustain my body. Because it is not about ketosis. It is about eating lean protein, fresh foods making sure you have tons of veggies, and making proper grain choices which ultimately gets people (pre the ease of use of mfp) eating less calories and sugar and carbs and bad for you stuff and more fiber and proteins and vitamin rich food. BTW it was recommended to me by an endocrinologist and family doc and ridded me of borderline diabetes and years of insulin resistance complications.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

Neither is cancer. I hope everything you eat is organic and grown on an island in the middle of nowhere (I suggest an island quite far from Japan at the moment), because otherwise you are being exposed to carcinogens just like us meat eaters.

And once again, his heart attack was related to an infection, not his diet.

LOL I'm not attacking you, calm down.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Of course, she talked about the effect of ketosis on the kidneys, not fuel sources for the brain. Besides, the fact that the brain can use ketones doesn't change the fact that glucose is the brain's preferred source.

When did this happen? Link, or it didn't.