Anyone else have issues with low carb diets?

Options

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you want to break it down to simplicity take the three components.

Fat, Carb, Protein. Pick which two in this list that will kill you if you don't eat them. Take a guess.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    South Beach includes many vegetables from day one and most fruits and whole grains after 2 weeks. I really don't consider South Beach a "low carb" diet.
    It's not a diet it is literally the way we are supposed to eat. Even compare it to the food pyramid (not that I put much faith in that though lol).
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    South Beach includes many vegetables from day one and most fruits and whole grains after 2 weeks. I really don't consider South Beach a "low carb" diet.

oh, I wasn't aware of that - I stand corrected then, thank you. :)

Paleo/primal also doesn't completely consider "carbs" the enemy. They consider industrialized agriculture mass-produced frankenfoods the enemy. Those, generally, are high-carb. Obviously by eliminating them, you eat less carbs. I eat a ton of veggies and fruit every day. I average about 100g-120g carb a day (I say average because M-F it's only about 60-80g but weekends boost that store with more). I eat normal amounts of meat (generally 2, 4-6 oz servings a day), I have increased my fat intake. I have never replaced veggies or fruits with meat. I ADD the fat, not replace something else for it.

That has been my approach also (probably not as much or varied veggies as you). I have one day out of the week in which I get a lot of carb.

I've been working out consistently for about 18 months -- in the past it was usually 3 months on then a couple months off due to sickness or burnout, but that hasn't been the case since i've been on a paleo type of diet. Ph levels etc were normal when I got them checked a few months ago.

Anything is going to have a downside if taken to an extreme or taken for granted.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    to whoever said dietary fat leads to insulin resistance, please explain... because as far as I've researched, it's excessive carbohydrate intake that causes this. carbs=sugar to your digestive system... sugar causes insulin response in the body. Too much sugar = a lot of insulin. Just like staying in a smelly room for a few minutes, you get numb to the smell... too much insulin after a while and your body gets numb to it, hence a 'resistance'.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/7734t22852m6w515/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42LfH8veEU
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Losing that 100 pounds far outweighs the temporary stress low carbing can induce in some people.

exactly my point, thank you.

people are obsessed with losing the weight as fast as possible no matter what the cost to their health.

and heart attacks are not "normal" at ANY age - 27 or 72.

Too much stress can prevent weight loss in some people. Personally, I don't need the additional stress and prefer to burn fat in a manner that is healthy rather than stressful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet it is literally the way we are supposed to eat. Even compare it to the food pyramid (not that I put much faith in that though lol).

That is not *at all* the way I am supposed to eat. I am definitely supposed to eat plenty of carbs.
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    While I don't have a huge weight loss as a goal, only 30 lbs, I did restrict my nutritional carbs to only healthy ones, but I also was not working out 90 minutes a day with weight training. Now, complex carbs are essential to good health and a ready supply of energy. I do not agree with Atkins and the fad diets. I do not even believe in any kind of diet as a verb, it is a noun, good nutrition supports all aspects of the human body and that requires the appropriate balance of carbs, fats, and proteins. I typically use a 2:1:1 approach and if the lifting is strenuous then I up all of them by volume.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    Slow the activity? I haven't heard it put that way in any of the research I've read. Can you point me to a source? (seriously, not being snarky.)

slow the activity is a bad choice of words... there are many articles on the effects of a ketogenic diet on patients with epilepsy... the reason why it works is largely unknown, but here's a good article on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21Epilepsy-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&hp&

"The best way to think about a seizure is to imagine an electrical storm. Our brains and bodies are normally full of electricity. The brain generates biochemical electrical charges, allowing brain cells, nerves and muscles to communicate. A seizure happens when this electricity surges out of control and overloads parts of the brain’s circuitry."

the natural inclination is to believe that if you starve the brain of energy, it stops producing these intense "electrical storms"

obviously ketogenic diets serve their purpose in these cases
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

not for nothing, but that's what EVERY diet claims. nothing new there.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    general - also, there's a great video on youtube.com if you type in "how to become diabetic in 6 hours" that explains dietary fat's role in insulin sensitivity that I think you should watch. in your case, it's not just carbs, but fat and glycemic indexes too - but since your body is still producing insulin, the best thing you can do to increase the sensitivity to the insulin you're producing is to exercise - good luck! :)

Force-feeding fat and then refined carbs, like Dr. Delgado did in the video, is pretty unnatural in my book. He consumes all that bread and pizza crust, showing pictures of white potatoes and then blames triglyceride rise on the olive oil? Should one really think that it's the body's instantaneous level of triglycerides that is correlated with heart problems? I always had the impression that the correlation held for long-standing triglyceride levels, and he plainly said his levels would go down within a few hours. He surely knows that eating always raises triglycerides. That’s why lipid panels are ordered AFTER an 8-hour fast.

Fats do indeed increase triglycerides – but only if triglycerides are measured after eating. They then descend rapidly - which Delgado experienced.

In contrast, carbohydrates can increase triglyceride levels many times higher, increasing levels to 300, 400, 500 mg/dl or more, even occasionally in the thousands, after weeks to months of carbohydrate-excess. But carbohydrate excess leads not just to after-eating high triglycerides, but high triglycerides all the time.

After demonstrating a perfectly normal rise in triglycerides after swallowing olive oil, Delgado continues his demonstration by chowing down on a big sandwich and some pizza. Lots more fat, of course, but now he’s also consuming a huge helping of refined flour. When he checks his blood levels awhile later, his triglycerides are up again, and so is his blood glucose level. His conclusion is sleight-of-hand. Glucose levels rose due to the heavy carbs - the rise was delayed due to the heavy fat. In diabetic circles, this is know as the "pizza effect" If he wanted to prove fat spikes blood sugar, he could’ve simply shown a glucose reading after the olive oil. But instead he guzzles olive oil, stuffs himself with white flour and then measures his glucose. His conclusion is sleight-of-hand.

As far as the glycemic index goes, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Jenny Brand-Miller, but the Glycemic Index that she helped pioneer, like all such indices, is based on statistical averages. Individual reactions to foods, whether you have diabetes or not, can vary quite widely from those averages.

Nutritional guides on products are similar in that they can help the diabetic decide what MAY be a good food portion size for them to test. However, the acid test is that individual's meter at the peak timing after ingestion. If that result is good - great, a new item for the menu at that time of day has been discovered. But if not, trust the meter in preference to a label or a GI index. The Glycemic Index is derived by feeding 10 non-diabetic test subjects 100 grams of a particular food and then averaging out their increase in blood sugar. They use 10 because the results ARE variable. So even without diabetes you could be at the high or low end of the GI range for a certain food. And just because you are at the high end for say rice, does not mean that you might be at the low end for, say, apples. Add to that that we rarely eat a food by itself--and when you combine carbs with protein and fat and fibers in differing amounts, that affects just how much and how quickly your blood glucose will be affected. So at best the Glycemic Index can only be a rough guide, as a starting point but not a given fact.

I am diabetic. I eat a low-carb diet (less than 20% of calories) When I dropped grains, my own triglycerides dropped even with an marked increase in fat consumption (from 20% to 50%), as did my total cholesterol. In addition, my A1c dropped from 7.3 to 5.5. I determine the carb level I can handle based on what my meter says. The truly useful Glycemic Index is the personal one that you develop on your own with your meter, which tells you how your bg level responds say to 360 g of rice vs.. 30 g of pasta vs.. 30 g of bread or potatoes. Yours will be different than mine, although of course I haven't come up with a detailed personal index, but more like a general estimate of how much of each food I can eat and stay in range. I hope this type of individualization is being stressed in your CDE courses.

Virulently anti-fat proponents are every bit as dangerous as virulently anti-carb proponents.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My step-dad lost 120lb on Atkins and has kept it off, and my mom lost 40lb on the Atkins. Both in a span of 8 months, kept it off, and it's been over 3 years. I personally get too hungry. Carbs keep me full (oh the joys of a fast metabolism). If it works for you, it works. Of course everyone should consult a doctor before starting a majorly different eating plan, like a low carb one.
    Also, your Paleo facts are wrong.
  • Jymm
    Jymm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Darn nice way to open a good troll post. Grats
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When did this happen? Link, or it didn't.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-glucose-does-your-brain-really-need/#axzz2AKomRHXp

One of many just with a quick Google search. Some are medical journals, this is not. Your brain will make the energy it needs from fat.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love it when uninformed people mouth off about other people's eating habits. Read the books and understand what each of these plans are before posting. If you wish to have some sort of educational discourse, don't ask more uninformed individuals to comment on it. Everybody has an opinion, but that doesn't mean it has value.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Of course, she talked about the effect of ketosis on the kidneys, not fuel sources for the brain. Besides, the fact that the brain can use ketones doesn't change the fact that glucose is the brain's preferred source.

Not exactly. If glucose is available, the brain will use it. As far as "preferred", however, the brain has been shown to run better on ketones. The brain only truly requires about 30g to 40g glucose, which can be synthesized by the body, but it will use around 120g to 130g if available.

When did this happen? Link, or it didn't.

Thousands of years ago? This isn't controversial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14769487

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6061736
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I would never have a diet or a religion that did not allow me to eat everything delicious under the sun.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am T2 and I do workouts. BUT I am not 30 years old anymore, either. I don't work out every day. This morning, I woke up with a fasting sugar of 127....not good. But that was because I was carb heavy yesterday. Today I cut it way back.

Losing weight low carb is very effective. But if I were NOT diabetic, I would up my carbs a bit so I could enjoy more. But, for me, the point is moot. I will be low carb the rest of my life, with some rare situations like parties or dinner out. I want to stay OFF my meds for good.

thanks for sharing - I'm actually a student nurse studying to become a CDE (certified diabetes educator) - low carb is certainly important in your case, but I think you'd be interested in doing a bit of research on glycemic indexes rather than trying to avoid carbs in general - also, there's a great video on youtube.com if you type in "how to become diabetic in 6 hours" that explains dietary fat's role in insulin sensitivity that I think you should watch. in your case, it's not just carbs, but fat and glycemic indexes too - but since your body is still producing insulin, the best thing you can do to increase the sensitivity to the insulin you're producing is to exercise - good luck! :)

Yes - I agree
    I eat according to the glycemic index and eat pretty low fat in general, else I could not keep under 1200 calories
    I excercise nearly every day either rowing, walking, swimming or weight training for at least 30 minutes

So I use egg whites or egg beaters not whole eggs, chicken, turkey and fish more than beef and pork whole grains if any...etc
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    I love it when uninformed people mouth off about other people's eating habits. Read the books and understand what each of these plans are before posting. If you wish to have some sort of educational discourse, don't ask more uninformed individuals to comment on it. Everybody has an opinion, but that doesn't mean it has value.

why don't you start by telling me what I'm uninformed about instead of just b!tching about the thread?
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I always do better if I make protein a priority over carbs. I think people eat too many carbs in general in the form of high-calorie snacks and ultra-processed foods, so just being mindful of that helps you change your eating habits for the better.

That being said, rice and pasta are cheap and delicious, especially mixed with tons of veggies and just about any lean protein. They will always be around ♪

Food will always be villainized because we want to point the finger at one specific thing and lay blame on it instead of ourselves. Also, it helps sell books and diet programs that are usually so expensive and ridiculous, they wouldn't fly without making outrageous claims which promise to give us magical answers and absolve us of guilt.

It's not my excessive caloric intake and desk job that made me fat, it was THAT BANANA.

pirate-banana.jpg

*shakes fist*

^^ YES!!! That evil Banana and it's partner the evil egg!!!
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You've already demonstrated that haven't researched many of these eating styles. Wrong about South Beach, paleo/primal, how the brain functions, lack of understanding ketosis/ketoacidosis... I don't much feel like going on, it bores me, and I have research to attend to. be proud. Look at how many people you trolled today. Nicely done.