Do You Log Gains

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I don't log gains unless they are major - 10lbs or so. I can gain 3lbs or even 5 and lose it within 2 weeks or less sometimes. I tend to fluctuate my weight often, so I just weight a couple days/weeks for it to fall back down and continue as usual.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would if it lasts more than a week. So far, so good. I know that most gains are water weight for me because I haven't been exceeding my calorie goals. It takes an additional 3500 extra calories to gain 1 lb. If I know that I haven't gone over by, literally, thousands of calories, I know I'm good. Fluctuations are normal.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i only log on sundays, you should not be logging your weight every day because it is going to fluctuate some
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Nope! I very rarely indulge, so if it's high one day, I know it's not because of me pigging out. I chalk it up to daily fluctuations.

And I never log a higher weight because I know I'll be back down in a day or so.

ETA: This is just for MFP. I do log my weight, regardless of fluctuation, in the AM every day on my daily calendar. I love data, and I use it to make a cool line graph for my progress.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but I only log on Wednesdays. If I'm on my cycle I will not log until the next week due to water weight, but I would log my gains with pain if I did actually gain. I haven't gained yet if that's a problem for your data.
    Lmso. I'm sorry, I know this is off topic now, but I love your ticker. (What Would Batman Do) That improved my day Lol
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I do log my gains because nothing is worse than seeing that ticker go down!
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday, first thing in the morning. I then log the result whether it is a gain or a loss.
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    absolutely, if you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with? I log every day but that's because i know the scale isn't always going to go down - as long as the general trend is down i'm happy
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yup I have. Though when I suspect it's water weight I don't.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I do, but then when you lose it again it says "2 lbs lost" so every one says WAY TO GO and Im like, yeah, its the same 2 lbs ive been losing and gaining the last month. LOL
  • Ender126
    Options
    I don't... Not unless it really sticks. My weight fluctuates too much throughout the week to call anything a "gain". I don't log a loss unless it's consistent on Thursday after my PT and Friday after my PT.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I log my gains so that the MFP calorie burn shows up proper for my weight. I have noticed that as my weight goes up or down so does the workout cal burn for the same duration.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I only log a gain if it sticks around for more than a day or two. I log losses right away though =P

It's a minor cheat, but it keeps me motivated.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and sometimes multiple times in a day. I've been playing with my official weigh-in day based on my schedule, and have only been logging weekly or fortnightly. I've been tending to dismiss the gains because, for the most part, I am still actively losing and the gains seem to be transient based on diet--water weight I assume. Once I get to maintenance or see that my losses have tapered off I will start to think about logging gains so that they don't become habit again.
  • jojeh2011
    jojeh2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    im in maintenance mode, and i aim to weigh myself on a weekly basis. logging my gains is important because it fuels me for the upcoming week. if i'm up a pound or two, i gotta work harder. if im down a pound or two, i can loosen up a bit. and if im the same weight, then i can continue what im doing.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    NO WAY JOSE! I would beat myself up and ruin my motivation. But that's just me.

This! haha. But I take a day off every week, so my weight ALWAYS goes up for a few days and then goes back down. Why would I log that?
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week, so I would log a gain, but it hasn't happened yet.
  • Time4achange77
    Options
    Although I do weigh everyday, my logging weight is always Tuesday morning..except this past week. Whatever I weigh, I log it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself that often anymore as I'm in maintining now...but yes, I do.

THIS. Im maintaining now, and run almost every day. I 'fuel' rather than eat, and my minimum is 1,800 calories a day
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I log gains and loses because I log daily or near daily at the same time in the same clothing (swim suit).

I know some people chose not to do this because natural fluctuations in their body weight (work out, salt, water, big meals) can cause them to feel like they have accomplished less. For me, what it does is let me see over all trends. I can look back over my last three months and see highs and lows especially around y time of the month. Logging most every change (sometimes I won't log a gain if I know it'll disappear the next day because I had a big meal) allows me to learn that my weigh fluctuates and PREVENTS me from flipping out when I get on the scale and gain 1-3 pounds "overnight".

Not everyone is the same way, but for me it helped me get over my scale anxiety. Oh I gained three pounds over night? I doubt it. Ah, I lost two pounds over night? I doubt it.

By the way, my weight graph does still show a beautiful decline over the past three months, mine is just a bit spikier.