So you exercise to eat?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I almost always wear my HRM to exercise.. why? Because I burn a 1/2-2/3's less than what MFP says.
    I log my exercise to keep track of what I'm doing though, not to eat anything back.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow...how empathetic you are. You'll make a good nurse some day...sheesh.
  • chrystee
    Options
    Donuts? I ran my first 5k this past Saturday (and yes i got laughed at by quite a few people because i am fat and i run) but instead of diving into the muffins like a lot of people (i did have one), i chose to get a banana and a nature valley bar and walk the extra 1/2 mile that i parked my car instead of taking a golf cart. :)

OMG! People made fun of you??? WHAT? I've never experienced that at a race!! I've always had major support. I did the warrior dash at 270 pounds, and I had SO many people pat me on the back, and tell me good job, keep going, you can do it, than I can count.

I'm so sorry anyone laughed at you.
  • chrystee
    Options
    Maybe the logging as cleaning is really their sex activity.. LOL..
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Donuts? I ran my first 5k this past Saturday (and yes i got laughed at by quite a few people because i am fat and i run) but instead of diving into the muffins like a lot of people (i did have one), i chose to get a banana and a nature valley bar and walk the extra 1/2 mile that i parked my car instead of taking a golf cart. :)

OMG! People made fun of you??? WHAT? I've never experienced that at a race!! I've always had major support. I did the warrior dash at 270 pounds, and I had SO many people pat me on the back, and tell me good job, keep going, you can do it, than I can count.

I'm so sorry anyone laughed at you.

I'd like to think they weren't laughing at her but smiling at the good job she was doing
  • hippypippy84
    Options
    This made me laugh and pee a little!! (Thats gotta be a pound off?!?)

If your laugh pee is a pound off you may want to have your bladder checked

I think I might have too :S
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK. Here's what's REALLY comical to me. Check out the OP's food notes!!!!

I spent the night at Joe's which means I skipped breakfast. I tried so hard to look at the other menu options and pick something better...but I was craving a burger. Now to go workout and burn at least 620 calories!
    I expected my carrabba's left overs to be about 500-600 calories...I need to learn to find out before I eat it! Guess I have a lot of working out to do!

Looks like you've done your share of it too, Little Miss Judgealot.

Oh_snap.gif
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Renae_nae burned 86 calories doing 60 minutes of "Getting all freaked out about how other people track their exercise on MFP"

^^^this^^^^ LOL LOL
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??

They really do exist! I remember seeing them and thinking "doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?" I had to walk past them to get to my car - and walking past them without picking one up was harder than the race itself.

I was just talking to a fellow runner about this not too long ago. Yeah, let me run a race, which I run for time...not just to do.....then grab a sweet *kitten* doughtnut to eat immediately following. VOMIT. That sounds SOOOO unappetizing! :sick:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I used to log my crazy cleaning days because I'd be literally running around for 8 hours between vacuum, scrubbing the shower, doing laundry, etc. That's not an every day occurrence. However, since improving myself, I don't.

I used to log the days I went to the mall. I would be at the mall walking for 6-8 hours. That's not an every day occurrence. However, since improving myself, I don't.

Additionally, I do not log anything that I would do on any normal day. i.e. walk to work, walk to the gym, etc.

I log exercise now. And if I am going to "work out" whatever it be....short run, etc....I wear my HRM. Just do. And I log it. Because I want to. That's what people do with exercise.

To each their own.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??
    I've run 10Ks where beer was handed out at the end!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a fellow runner about this not too long ago. Yeah, let me run a race, which I run for time...not just to do.....then grab a sweet *kitten* doughtnut to eat immediately following. VOMIT. That sounds SOOOO unappetizing! :sick:

I have a cast iron stomach. I can eat anything at any time. Before exercise, after exercise, while watching an autopsy... doesn't matter.
  • ToniGIrlWhimsicalArt
    Options
    Listen...I'm Italian and food is part of the joy of life. Now, I understand that food is supposed to be for sustenance, not entertainment, but dammit, I'm not giving up my yummy foods. So yes, sometimes I think "I better go an extra lap around the park so I can have my alfredo tonight". I don't understand what business it is of anyone else, and I certainly would NOT want to be friends with someone who judged me that way. I track EVERYTHING. You know why? Because before I started on this journey, I had no idea how many calories were in the things I was eating. I had no idea how much exercise it took to work those calories off. By tracking everything, I can see how these things affect one another and it helps me. And yes, when I do serious house cleaning, damn it, I want to see how many calories it burned. And FYI, just because that may not burn very many calories for you, it doesn't mean that it doesn't for other people. Everyone is different and anyone who's ever been overweight knows that changing your behaviors and trying to become a healthier person is not easy. I say that whatever works for a person, let them do it! Who are you to judge them? This is why I just want my diary private and maybe this is why I haven't sought out a bunch of friends on here...I'm doing this for ME not anyone else, so I don't need someone looking in on what I'm doing and judging me. Sheesh people! Oh, and I eat back some of my exercise calories and log some of the things that aren't actually considered exercise and I've lost 9 pounds since I joined, so don't tell me that it doesn't work. :)
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    omg. As I was reading this, I got embarassed. I so totally just started doing this :( And I'm gaining weight not losing lol. Go figure.
  • sll1083
    sll1083 Posts: 31
    Options

YEAH! screw oranges and bananas I want a freaking donut!

There is a 5K race here in November where you get All-You-Can-Eat Pancakes afterwards :)
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

They gave away fresh baked pretzels and beer at the Octoberfest 5K I did in Cambridge, beats a donut. Any. Day.

@the OP. Yes, sometimes I exercise to eat, what's your point? Yes, it was a half marathon (or at least it was this weekend). Yes, I do need to know how long and how far I went, because no it wasn't "around 20 minutes", it was "just under an hour" and it covered over 6 miles. It's also part of training plan and I need to keep track of it. I like to eat. I like to run. So I run, and I eat. I've lost around 50 pounds eating pretty much whatever I want. Which just goes to show that what works for you isn't the only thing that works.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    While I don't neccesarily agree with the OP's initial post, I have to say what sadens me is the number of people - many of who have reached a good level of fitness - who seek to kick other people down an ridicule them. I find it totally unacceptable to rake through a fellow MFPer's personal account, even if it is open to public view for positive criticisms to be made, to find diary notes to post publicy in a thread designed to attack and ridicule.

There is something about internet forums that brings out the worst in humans.

It's a real shame that people can't work together to bring the best out of each other. Before anyone goes on at me about "taking the moral high ground" I don't think I am - it is surely the basic level of loving kindness and support we should all relate and aspire to.

<crawls back into hermit's cave and switches MFP account to 'Friends Only'>
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't care what others do or dont-I worry about myself, that's who I answer to.