Anyone else have issues with low carb diets?

Options

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think you are misterming this as low carb

I am on a 'low carb diet' my doctor advised it for diabetes II - to do this I limt my carbs to 45-60 g 3 times a day mostly from veg and pulses some whole grains so I eat between 120-180 g of carb a day but within my calorie goal of 1200

The diets you are talking about are really high protein diets where the carb intake in so low the dieter goes in ketosis

Would you mind not bundling us all together because I do think eat quite healthy

I would not consider 120-180 low carb. I think you're confused.

I have been told anything below 150 is low carb. most people who eat normal carbs eat around 200+
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the obsession with low carb diets. I also understand that they do take off pounds, and sometimes pretty quickly. But really, can you just sit around knawing on slabs of meat for the rest of your life? I can't. I eat a plant based diet now (partially thanks to Forks Over Knives, which I DID see), but even before this it would have made me sad to give up my fruits and veggies. Carbs are not the enemy, processed carbs that are so far from their natural state that they are unrecognizable are the enemy. The bananas, leave them alone, they are okay!

I try and stay under 40% and I totally agree, the processed foods and refined sugar is what I try and stay away from, but that cuts out most bread and pasta and a lot of packaged snacks (which was most of my carbs). I would be weary of anyone telling you to give up fruit & veggies. I noticed a dramatic change, first dropping pounds and now gaining definition with my workouts. It might not be for everyone, but it does work for me.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help that Dr. Atkins, founder of "The Atkins Diet," died from a heart attack. believe what you will, but any diet high in saturated fats will deffinately raise cholesterol.

No he didn't. He died from complications from a slip and fall. At the age of 72.

the slip and fall was a result of a heart attack

He slipped on ice outside his office, I have read statements straight from his spouse about what happened to him. And in all fairness, atkins did not support a super low carb diet. You are only supposed to stay on 20g of carbs for two weeks to help your body get over cravings and change from burning carbs to fat, when you move to the next phase to add carbs back in. Never does he say to stay there, you can if you want and people choose to, but if they follow his diet properly that is not the case.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I always do better if I make protein a priority over carbs. I think people eat too many carbs in general in the form of high-calorie snacks and ultra-processed foods, so just being mindful of that helps you change your eating habits for the better.

That being said, rice and pasta are cheap and delicious, especially mixed with tons of veggies and just about any lean protein. They will always be around ♪

Food will always be villainized because we want to point the finger at one specific thing and lay blame on it instead of ourselves. Also, it helps sell books and diet programs that are usually so expensive and ridiculous, they wouldn't fly without making outrageous claims which promise to give us magical answers and absolve us of guilt.

It's not my excessive caloric intake and desk job that made me fat, it was THAT BANANA.

pirate-banana.jpg

*shakes fist*

Does anyone else need to buy a bunch of bananas now so they can do this?

Also, as someone who suffered from Hypokalemia (too low potassium) and seized, heart stopped and not breathing for 3 mins while CPR was administered, I can tell you it's no way to go! Eat your bananas, don't just play with them!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    As a licensed healthcare professional, I agree 110% and it frustrates me that people (because I know plenty of people who won't even take "good" carbs) put weight loss at a higher importance than potential damage to organs, etc. Or lolz at the people who say "I don't eat ANY carbs!" as they're munching on an apple.....

But I think a well rounded, moderate diet of nutrients and each of the food groups is important. Carbs, fat, and protein are all important for the body's proper functioning. With an occasional treat ;)

....admittedly that's not MY diet yet. Prior to MFP I lived on fast food 2 meals/day, candy multiple times a day, no water, tons of mountain dew, etc. Which I realize is also NOT good. I've done drastic & yoyo'd in the past before MFP, but this time I'm implementing changes slowly so it will stick long term, unlike before.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I always do better if I make protein a priority over carbs. I think people eat too many carbs in general in the form of high-calorie snacks and ultra-processed foods, so just being mindful of that helps you change your eating habits for the better.

That being said, rice and pasta are cheap and delicious, especially mixed with tons of veggies and just about any lean protein. They will always be around ♪

Food will always be villainized because we want to point the finger at one specific thing and lay blame on it instead of ourselves. Also, it helps sell books and diet programs that are usually so expensive and ridiculous, they wouldn't fly without making outrageous claims which promise to give us magical answers and absolve us of guilt.

It's not my excessive caloric intake and desk job that made me fat, it was THAT BANANA.

pirate-banana.jpg

*shakes fist*

Does anyone else need to buy a bunch of bananas now so they can do this?

I do!!! I have some at home and cant wait to get there...
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

While this isn't a research paper, Lyle McDonald is highly respected and his articles have helped me in my way of life.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You obviously have trouble with reading comprehension, too. I called you a troll because you are introducing a post just so you can start an argument. That isn't whining, it's stating a fact. Now back to my very important research..

actually, this whole thread has been eye opening in a way and it's provided a bit of truth from both sides... I certainly didn't start it to spur an argument, but you would probably see it that way through your narrow lens of comprehension. very few people are actually arguing... in fact, a lot of useful information is being offered, but you prefer to focus on me and speculate as to why I'd present the topic rather than working on your very important research. good luck with that.

You're a champ. Very well handled.
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    you might be confusing me with someone else - I never posted anything from Mark's Daily Apple - I think that guy is nuts.

Just curious as to why you think he's nuts? I'm not trying to flame or anything, honestly just curious lol. I haven't heard a lot of people say that.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Slow the activity? I haven't heard it put that way in any of the research I've read. Can you point me to a source? (seriously, not being snarky.)

slow the activity is a bad choice of words... there are many articles on the effects of a ketogenic diet on patients with epilepsy... the reason why it works is largely unknown, but here's a good article on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21Epilepsy-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&hp&

"The best way to think about a seizure is to imagine an electrical storm. Our brains and bodies are normally full of electricity. The brain generates biochemical electrical charges, allowing brain cells, nerves and muscles to communicate. A seizure happens when this electricity surges out of control and overloads parts of the brain’s circuitry."

the natural inclination is to believe that if you starve the brain of energy, it stops producing these intense "electrical storms"

obviously ketogenic diets serve their purpose in these cases

I've read quite a bit on the benefits of a ketogenic diet for epilepsy. It dates back many years. It can actually cure epilepsy in some children if followed strictly for a couple of years. They're even trying it in adults for whom drugs alone just aren't controlling the seizures.

You don't seem to have done much actual research on low-carb, Atkins, South Beach, or Paleo/primal. A reduced-carb diet that lowers your need for insulin would benefit you as a T-1 diabetic. It's entirely possible to race, and race well, without tons of processed grains and sugar. If, like me, you've read Runner's World or Bicycling over the years, you've surely heard of Tim Noakes, a professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town. For years, he was a huge proponent of athletes in training eating high amounts of carbs. He's recently (within the past year) done a total about-face, both in his own diet and in what he recommends for athletes.

Here's a link to a statement he made in Runner's World back in March: http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutrition/novel-dietary-ideas/

I'm sure some people here would consider him a "nut", but if someone with his training and experience has changed his mind so completely, maybe we should take a look at his reasoning.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    you might be confusing me with someone else - I never posted anything from Mark's Daily Apple - I think that guy is nuts.

Just curious as to why you think he's nuts? I'm not trying to flame or anything, honestly just curious lol. I haven't heard a lot of people say that.

I just don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, just personal preference... funny enough though, your post made me check out his site again, and I found that he wrote about T1 diabetes recently

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/type-1-diabetes-paleo-primal/#more-33355

"Exercise intelligently. “Vigorous” exercise can exacerbate blood glucose levels, with some researchers even proposing an intense 10 second sprint as an effective way to boost blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetics experiencing a hypoglycemic episode. Lift weights, walk a lot, and sprint occasionally – but be careful about how often and how intensely you do it."

be careful of exercise? low carb for T1 diabetes? yeah, maybe if you're sedentary. I'm a very active T1 endurance athlete and I have an A1c of 6.4% (very well controlled) AND I eat 70% of my calories in carbs. I'm not an anomaly either... I know plenty of other T1 endurance athletes who eat the same way. of course low carb diets will lead to better control in T1s who have poor control - it's a simple cause and effect solution. but to tell T1s they should be careful of exercising too intensely? awful advice. people have to eat, sleep, travel, LIVE with T1 24/7 - why would exercising be any different?

he just sort of misconstrues the studies and information out there to make his own points - I guess that's nothing new, but it irks me in a way - just my personal response to him.... maybe "nuts" was too strong of a word, I apologize.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

I've read quite a bit on the benefits of a ketogenic diet for epilepsy. It dates back many years. It can actually cure epilepsy in some children if followed strictly for a couple of years. They're even trying it in adults for whom drugs alone just aren't controlling the seizures.

You don't seem to have done much actual research on low-carb, Atkins, South Beach, or Paleo/primal. A reduced-carb diet that lowers your need for insulin would benefit you as a T-1 diabetic. It's entirely possible to race, and race well, without tons of processed grains and sugar. If, like me, you've read Runner's World or Bicycling over the years, you've surely heard of Tim Noakes, a professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town. For years, he was a huge proponent of athletes in training eating high amounts of carbs. He's recently (within the past year) done a total about-face, both in his own diet and in what he recommends for athletes.

Here's a link to a statement he made in Runner's World back in March: http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutrition/novel-dietary-ideas/

I'm sure some people here would consider him a "nut", but if someone with his training and experience has changed his mind so completely, maybe we should take a look at his reasoning.

awesome! this is actually very interesting... I don't see where he talks about the differences he experienced in high carb vs. low carb though. and he admits to having issues digesting carbs (CR) and issues with losing weight, which is what set him on this journey in the first place. "I limit myself to about 50 grams a day as that is the amount that allows me to regulate my body weight effortlessly without hunger"

Also, I don't eat processed grains or sugar, I eat fruits and vegetables (lots of them) for carbs and I don't have weight issues and feel it fuels me greatly through my full time job, part time school and sometimes intense training schedules.

And low carb diets naturally work in people with T1 who are poorly controlled or first diagnosed. I've had the disease for 14 years and am very in tune with my body - I'm also taking 40% LESS insulin now on a high carb, low fat, very little processed diet than I was on a moderate carb, moderate fat diet, very processed diet. shocking, I know... the effect dietary fat plays on glucose and insulin absorption is quite amazing,but that's just from personal experience. I'd like to point out, however, T1s do not typically have insulin resistance issues - they just don't produce any... so as long as I "cover" every carb with insulin, I don't have an issue.

thank you for the article, I did enjoy reading it - it came across as honest and informative.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    to the OP:

i didn't read through the 4 pages of replies.

but i've got 2 words..

CARB CYCLE.

also... every low carber out there isn't on a ketosis inducing/maintaining diet. there's a difference between striving for ketosis, and living low carb. i stay at 40-70 net when not doing a high carb/cheat day, which is "low carb", but i'm not in ketosis.

and, by reading your original post, i'm pretty sure you don't understand why low/lower carb works better. protein and fat DOES turn into glucose, and this process is extremely beneficial to weight loss.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/273899-do-fat-protein-turn-into-glucose/

how do you know you're not in ketosis? do you test your urine for ketone bodies? just curious how you maintain this state of non-ketosis on a 40-70g of carbs a day diet? I thought the general rule of thumb was that if you're getting less than 100g a day, you're in ketosis?

oh, I know exactly why low carb works and why it works fast, but I disagree on it working "better" because I don't believe it to be healthy. that's what this thread is about. I know all about gluconeogenesis - and fat is not the first source of energy for it, protein is. in order to prevent catabolism of skeletal muscle (to go with your weight loss), you need to consume large amounts of dietary protein which has its own metabolic waste product called uric acid.

sorry, but I prefer to get my info from actual studies, not articles on Livestrong:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2826524

and that's why i carb cycle.

but i'm assuming you skimmed over that part.

i do much better on lower carb, its just how my body works. i feel better (not to mention look better), my mood is better, i'm less hungry, and i have more energy. not everyone is suited to consume hundreds of grams of carbohydrates a day. if you want to throw around the "that's not healthy!!!!!" thing, well, i personally consider being on a high carbohydrate diet to be unhealthy, unless you're, say, an extreme athlete.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Type1Rachelle - I'm sure as an endurance athlete you'll agree with me that trying to run a race without carbs isn't even worth entertaining!

The way I see it: Carbs don't make you fat. Eating processed crap sure does, though.

Sadly, the "diet" community is always latching on to some faddish diet that demonizes an entire food group/macronutrient. I personally don't get it.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Eating processed crap sure does, though.

Sadly, the "diet" community is always latching on to some faddish diet that demonizes an entire food group/macronutrient. I personally don't get it.

its called science.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    to the OP:

i didn't read through the 4 pages of replies.

but i've got 2 words..

CARB CYCLE.

also... every low carber out there isn't on a ketosis inducing/maintaining diet. there's a difference between striving for ketosis, and living low carb. i stay at 40-70 net when not doing a high carb/cheat day, which is "low carb", but i'm not in ketosis.

and, by reading your original post, i'm pretty sure you don't understand why low/lower carb works better. protein and fat DOES turn into glucose, and this process is extremely beneficial to weight loss.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/273899-do-fat-protein-turn-into-glucose/

how do you know you're not in ketosis? do you test your urine for ketone bodies? just curious how you maintain this state of non-ketosis on a 40-70g of carbs a day diet? I thought the general rule of thumb was that if you're getting less than 100g a day, you're in ketosis?

oh, I know exactly why low carb works and why it works fast, but I disagree on it working "better" because I don't believe it to be healthy. that's what this thread is about. I know all about gluconeogenesis - and fat is not the first source of energy for it, protein is. in order to prevent catabolism of skeletal muscle (to go with your weight loss), you need to consume large amounts of dietary protein which has its own metabolic waste product called uric acid.

sorry, but I prefer to get my info from actual studies, not articles on Livestrong:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2826524

and that's why i carb cycle.

but i'm assuming you skimmed over that part.

i do much better on lower carb, its just how my body works. i feel better (not to mention look better), my mood is better, i'm less hungry, and i have more energy. not everyone is suited to consume hundreds of grams of carbohydrates a day. if you want to throw around the "that's not healthy!!!!!" thing, well, i personally consider eating that many carbohydrates to be unhealthy, unless you're an extreme athlete.

no, I didn't skim over anything... you said you carb cycle and you said you take in 40-70g of carbs on your non high carb days... so how do you know you're not in ketosis on those days? do you know how long it takes to be in ketosis? how long are your low carb days? I'm genuinely interested here... I'm just curious how you can back this statement up "i stay at 40-70 net when not doing a high carb/cheat day, which is "low carb", but i'm not in ketosis." that's all.

to each their own... as long as you feel better... I would argue that "looking better" and being "less hungry" are not synonymous with actual health, it's probably more of a weight loss/maintenance thing, but like I said, as long as you're happy.

maybe that's the disconnect - do you work out? what do you consider an extreme athlete? I consider myself an endurance athlete - I am currently training for a marathon in less than 2 weeks and I ran 16 miles two days ago - does that make me an "extreme" athlete?
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What is called science? Low-carb?
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Eating processed crap sure does, though.

its called science.

science says carbs specifically make you fat?

please, humor me....
  • TLCEsq
    Options

I just don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, just personal preference... funny enough though, your post made me check out his site again, and I found that he wrote about T1 diabetes recently

"Exercise intelligently. “Vigorous” exercise can exacerbate blood glucose levels, with some researchers even proposing an intense 10 second sprint as an effective way to boost blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetics experiencing a hypoglycemic episode. Lift weights, walk a lot, and sprint occasionally – but be careful about how often and how intensely you do it."

be careful of exercise? low carb for T1 diabetes? yeah, maybe if you're sedentary. I'm a very active T1 endurance athlete and I have an A1c of 6.4% (very well controlled) AND I eat 70% of my calories in carbs. I'm not an anomaly either... I know plenty of other T1 endurance athletes who eat the same way. of course low carb diets will lead to better control in T1s who have poor control - it's a simple cause and effect solution. but to tell T1s they should be careful of exercising too intensely? awful advice. people have to eat, sleep, travel, LIVE with T1 24/7 - why would exercising be any different?

he just sort of misconstrues the studies and information out there to make his own points - I guess that's nothing new, but it irks me in a way - just my personal response to him.... maybe "nuts" was too strong of a word, I apologize.

No worries! You're entitled to your opinion, I was just curious. As I said earlier, a low(ish) carb diet works best for me because it reduces my hunger and is less of a strain on my adrenals. I also do not consume caffeine. I think for people with endocrine and other hormonal imbalances, losing fat is not just a matter of calories in, calories out. I'm living proof of that along with many other people, and I think everyone just has to do what works for them.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I'm not looking for a debate or anything since you haven't read any of the latest research concerning carbs and disease there's not much point but maybe this blog post (with links) would spark an interest in learning more. These type 2 diabetics who were doing everything the experts predicted would help them are DYING following that advice. You obviously care about your health so maybe if you spent some time on the low carb sites you'll get links to the latest research in nutrition and not just the fat bad, vegetables/grains good nonsense that crops up every other month from epidemiological studies.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2012/10/look-ahead-trial-stopped.html