Calories in the leftover unpopped popcorn kernels?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Y'all are kinda onry (how the hell do you spell that anyways?)

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "onry"
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    ornery

and

...you guys....
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Just measure the amount you are actually eating ---not the unpopped kernels and log it:huh:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    when i eat a sleeve of cookies, I'm always sure to dump the crumbs out onto a food scale so I know how many micrograms to subtract from the calories.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    ornery

Oh

onry.png
  • auroranflash
    Options
    Just measure the amount you are actually eating ---not the unpopped kernels and log it:huh:

I love you all.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before I pop it then weigh the unpopped bits at the end and discount them :-)
    Eh? You do know that the nutritional values are 'typical' or 'average' values per serving? In other words, every packet of popcorn is not always going to contain the exact same number of calories as stated on the pack. They are allowed a 20% margin of error, but often go over/under by more.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    I weigh it before I pop it then weigh the unpopped bits at the end and discount them :-)
    Eh? You do know that the nutritional values are 'typical' or 'average' values per serving? In other words, every packet of popcorn is not always going to contain the exact same number of calories as stated on the pack. They are allowed a 20% margin of error, but often go over/under by more.

The thing is, all this is estimates. Calories, exercise, the whole deal.

However, counting counts, because it shows you care. And you're a lot more able to control your situation when you care. But please don't trust these numbers to be accurate. That's why I'd rather over-log food and under-log exercise. If you ever see someone post a 1 calorie burn, please don't question them. They're probably trying to balance some numbers.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Oh boy! Now you've started it!! The OCD will be kicking in double time!! :laugh:

However, this is the most legitimate point. There is always a margin of error. It's just not worth trying to get it down to that level of detail, mainly because measureing calories is never that precise. Over the long haul, if you stress over trying to get every little detail precise, you will make yourself crazy and quit trying at all.

If you have, say, an 1800 calorie target for the day and that is 500 calories under maintenance to lose 1 pound per week, some days you will eat roughly 1900 and some days you will eat roughly 1700 no matter how hard you try to be accurate. Over time, you are in deficit and you will lose weight. If you are that concerned, set your calorie goal 100 less to factor in margin of error. Or go for a 30 minute walk. But really over time, it is just not that critical and no matter how hard you try, you will likely not be able to dial it in to perfection. It just doesn't matter!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Oh boy! Now you've started it!! The OCD will be kicking in double time!! :laugh:

However, this is the most legitimate point. There is always a margin of error. It's just not worth trying to get it down to that level of detail, mainly because measureing calories is never that precise. Over the long haul, if you stress over trying to get every little detail precise, you will make yourself crazy and quit trying at all.

If you have, say, an 1800 calorie target for the day and that is 500 calories under maintenance to lose 1 pound per week, some days you will eat roughly 1900 and some days you will eat roughly 1700 no matter how hard you try to be accurate. Over time, you are in deficit and you will lose weight. If you are that concerned, set your calorie goal 100 less to factor in margin of error. Or go for a 30 minute walk. But really over time, it is just not that critical and no matter how hard you try, you will likely not be able to dial it in to perfection. It just doesn't matter!

^^THIS

I think that is all anyone is trying to say, and really, I haven't seen anyone be overly rude on this thread. It is all just an estimation, so trying to be that highly accurate is just a setup for failure. Log in the full serving, take a little walk, and relax! It will happen. :flowerforyou:
  • ashmorgstraws
    Options
    Wow, kind-of obsessive, I'd say....don't worry about that. :p
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    edited; probelm already solved

happy friday, you cantakerous *kitten*! :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Love!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If it's flavored popcorn, and I'm assuming it is if it's 300+ calories a bag, than most of the calories are coming from the flavoring, not the popcorn. And the flavoring is in the bag, not in the kernels, so you are eating nearly all of that anyway.

CRAP, what about all the grease that soaks into the bag? This is a bigger problem than I thought. But then, if I just eat the bag, what do I add for the fiber?
  • secretlobster
    Options
    CRAP, what about all the grease that soaks into the bag?

FIVE GUYS JUST BECAME HEALTH FOOD

Awwww yeahhhhhhh
  • Bunski
    Bunski Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dudes! All this petty, stupid bullying over popcorn! WTF. How does it affect your life if someone else measures out their popcorn or not??? Jerky poop faces (YES I SAID JERKY POOP FACES SO WHAT???)

I don't really eat popcorn much, but if I did I would probably measure out the popped kernels (assuming the bag has serving sizes like, 1 cup = ... calories) and go by that. I know it's easier to just log the whole bag, but like you are saying, a lot of kernels could be left at the bottom uneaten.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Y'all are kinda onry (how the hell do you spell that anyways?)

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "onry"

I think the person meant "ornery," adj. used to describe someone who is bad-tempered or argumentative.... but as I see that someone already told you what it is, and the problem seems to be "solved," I'll go get my coffee and measure out the dregs. :tongue:
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I measure my popped popcorn after it's popped and use the nutrition info on the packaging for my diary and toss what didn't pop.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do you worry about the undigested sweetcorn in your poop?

Subtract those calories. I wouldn't eat them again. lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Dudes! All this petty, stupid bullying over popcorn! WTF. How does it affect your life if someone else measures out their popcorn or not??? Jerky poop faces (YES I SAID JERKY POOP FACES SO WHAT???)

I don't really eat popcorn much, but if I did I would probably measure out the popped kernels (assuming the bag has serving sizes like, 1 cup = ... calories) and go by that. I know it's easier to just log the whole bag, but like you are saying, a lot of kernels could be left at the bottom uneaten.

You are welcome to your opinion but save the "bully" card. It is not bullying for people to express thier opinions. That what happens on public forum. I wouldn't expect you to like every response or every responder but there is no bullying going in here.