Fruit Makes you Fat

Options

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Oh, the good ole Media. Taking a sliver of truth, and turning it into wild untrue proclomations.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Fruits contains fructose and high fructose corn syrup is MUCH worse for the body than table sugar, so fruit must be bad...right? :wink:

DEAR GOD.

But actually, relevant to the topic: http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/89/6/2963.long
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh man, no wonder I didn't lose 45 pounds in the last 6 months.

Oh, wait, I did.

Fruit does not make you fat.

TOO MUCH of anything makes you fat.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    :laugh: this is an article from the dailyfail
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Fruit junkie right here and 81 pounds down so far! :bigsmile:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I hate reading this after I JUST ate a banana & was feeling sort of proud of myself for it -__-

<-- Profile picture is relevant.

win!
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    double-facepalm.jpg

^^^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Actualy this agrees with what my doctor told me. She said that if I wanted to lose weight I should avoid sugar because it is the sugar that causes the fat to stay on. She recommended that I never eat anything with more than 5g of sugar in it, including fruit. So this would rule out apples and bananas for example. A typical banana has a whopping 16g of sugar in it which is the equivalent of 4 sugar cubes.

I used to eat about 3 apples a day, but now I have cut them out completely.

oh boy....
  • edlybrook
    edlybrook Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No food makes you fat but eating too much of almost any food does. I've lost a lot of weight and I haven't given up anything I like; I'm just careful of how much I eat.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It's the daily mail. Enough said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Hahahaha!!! This is amazing.

But seriously. Just like not too long ago they were freaking out about eggs being worse for you than cigarettes. Ha! Right.
  • hrshygrl00
    hrshygrl00 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    double-facepalm.jpg
    I'm with them.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Actualy this agrees with what my doctor told me. She said that if I wanted to lose weight I should avoid sugar because it is the sugar that causes the fat to stay on. She recommended that I never eat anything with more than 5g of sugar in it, including fruit. So this would rule out apples and bananas for example. A typical banana has a whopping 16g of sugar in it which is the equivalent of 4 sugar cubes.

I came to the same conclusion on my own through self experimenting. In my case, I seem to be sensitive to fructose, so my appetite is strongly increased when I eat fruit or root vegetables with >5-6 g. But I am strongly sensitive to sugars, so in my case, I do overeat on fruit, and I am for sure not the type to eat half an apple a day or a 1/2 cup of berries. I eat fruit by the bucket if I let myself have at it & can't stop till I went through at least 2-3 different fruits (that's 6-8 servings). It did not exactly made me fat (my beloved fruit pastries, on the other hand....), but it stalled my weight loss and unsettled blood sugar and increased hunger.

So, if you are struggling, eliminating fruit is one of the things to try.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    FFS its in the Daily Mail, no one takes anything they print seriously.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fruit junkie right here and 81 pounds down so far! :bigsmile:
    Me too love grapes but I'm not losing, 'm starting to think it is the fruit :sad:
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how did I get up to 220 pounds then? I hardly ever ate fruit! Couldn't have been the soda, pizza, chips and chocolate. Sheesh, what a load of dung. Yes, fruit has sugar, but eating an apple is NOT the same as eating several tablespoons of sugar. For one, there is the added fiber, vitamins and nutrients in the apple. For two, your body actually needs some sugar to be healthy (ditto on fat, in case anyone didn't know that), and the sugar that naturally occurs in food is not the same as the sugar in your candy bar.

Common sense people! For the, very few, people who have a medical reason to avoid sugar, by all means limit or avoid fruit. For the rest of us, EVERYTHING in moderation, healthy or not.
  • alanbluecat
    Options

How would you or your doctor explain my 53 pound weight loss then? My diet is 90% fruit.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hmm, how did I get up to 220 pounds then? I hardly ever ate fruit! Couldn't have been the soda, pizza, chips and chocolate. Sheesh, what a load of dung. Yes, fruit has sugar, but eating an apple is NOT the same as eating several tablespoons of sugar. For one, there is the added fiber, vitamins and nutrients in the apple. For two, your body actually needs some sugar to be healthy (ditto on fat, in case anyone didn't know that), and the sugar that naturally occurs in food is not the same as the sugar in your candy bar.

Common sense people! For the, very few, people who have a medical reason to avoid sugar, by all means limit or avoid fruit. For the rest of us, EVERYTHING in moderation, healthy or not.

For normal individuals, eating fruit is fine and beneficial. But eating sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup can put one in danger of developing obesity and the metabolic derangement that follows. The fructose in one can of soda is equivalent to the amount of fructose in a dozen oranges. No one sits down to a meal of 12 oranges but someone could easily drink a couple of sodas per day and set off the weight gain (fat gain) that precipitates metabolic problems.

Research shows that it isn't the fruit that is the problem---it's the fructose (fruit sugar). Most obese people have a toxic reaction to fructose---in them it seems to turn on a "switch" that creates fatty liver, high blood pressure, internal and subcutaneous fat, insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. Since table sugar is 50% fructose, it should be avoided by obese individuals. They should also avoid all processed food which can often contain a surprisingly large amount of high fructose corn syrup. This fat gain in response to eating fructose appears to be a normal mammalian response. Black bears gorge on wild blueberries at the end of summer and put on a LOT of fat in the process. But then, that is what keeps them alive during the winter hibernation. Since we do not hibernate, the body fat continues to pile on and it makes people sick and sluggish.

What is worse is that the research also shows that many obese individuals have an ability to turn blood glucose into fructose using the "polyol mechanism" and from there, the fructose does its damage. Obese individuals typically have high blood uric acid levels (anything above 3.5 mg/ml for men or 4.5 mg/ml for women) that seems to be involved with the "toxic fructose syndrome" of obesity. One way to measure whether you have this toxic reaction to fructose is to have your uric acid level checked. Anything above 3,5 for men or 4,5 for women is now considered to be an indicator that this "fat switch" has been turned on in you. While 5.5 mg/ml is about "average", it should be noted that the "average" person over 40 is either "overfat" or even obese. This correlates well with the fact that uric acid levels tend to climb with age, and that body fat levels climb even if weight does not (muscles shrink and that muscle weight is replaced with fat). Some people have uric acid levels of about 10 or 11 mg/ml. At that level, they will also have other health effects like gout, gouty arthritis, kidney damage and possibly even kidney failure, if not treated. Ironically, a classic, non-drug treatment for high uric acid levels is to drink black cherry juice---there is an enzyme in cherries that inhibits the production of uric acid. BUT black cherry juice is very high in fructose! Sour cherry juice has similar benefits but without the high level of fructose. Only 2 oz, per day is required to help lower blood uric acid levels. But a lower carb--low purine diet is a better plan for lowering uric acid over the longer term. The lowering of body fat and the down-regulation of uric acid will, in time, turn off the "fat switch".
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

How would you or your doctor explain my 53 pound weight loss then? My diet is 90% fruit.

You probably don't have the "toxic fructose syndrome" that others have.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I hate reading this after I JUST ate a banana & was feeling sort of proud of myself for it -__-

I had a peanut butter banana sandwich for lunch. It's all good as long as it keeps your stats in line!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Those researchers who are investigating the effects of fructose consumption on fat gain recommend that obese individuals eat no added sugar or processed food, keep their total daily carbohydrate consumption below 100 grams (but you shouldn't go below 60 grams to avoid going into ketosis) and that they limit their fructose consumption to 15 grams or less per day. Low fructose fruits include grapefruit, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, oranges and cantaloupe. High fructose fruits include apples, grapes, cherries and pears (but you can still get the substantial benefits of these fruits by just eating a smaller portion of them--for example, a half of an apple instead of a whole one after dinner). Dried fruits are especially high in fructose (though they are also high in nutrients) and one would want to severely limit their consumption if obese. Since most vegetables have very low levels of fructose, they can be eaten without limit. Exercise---particularly weight training (because it builds muscle) is especially beneficial to "turn off the fat switch". But most obese individuals I have interviewed say that they "hate vegetables"---and that they "hate exercising"---probably why we are in the shape we are in. :wink: