How do people tolerate weighing every day???

I've been told to weigh once a week, same time every week, same conditions every time... and for good reason I've noticed because my weight fluctuates A LOT!

Ordinarily my official weigh in is Sunday morning after I wake up and use the toilet and get naked. For funzies, I weighed myself Tuesday evening fully clothed and was up five pounds. Last night sans clothes I was only two pounds heavier. And seeing higher numbers makes me discouraged that maybe I screwed up a bit TOO bad with my calories when I only went over my target (1200) by a hundred or so (and a lot of people say 1200 is too low!)

I think I need to avoid the random urges to see just how well (or not well) I'm doing throughout the week and stick to my normal weigh in time...

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I can at least understand weighing every day. I did it for a little while but that grew old REAL fast.

What I don't understand is this: "I weigh myself in the morning. Then I weigh myself before I go to the bathroom. Then I weigh myself after I go to the bathroom. Then I weigh myself before I go to bed. I might weight myself one more time during the day. And I do this everyday." WHY???!?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I don't weigh every day because I usually forget and I weigh myself early in the morning under the same conditions. I do try to weigh myself at least three times a week. I know that there will be fluctuations, but more frequently I see changes related to what I've been eating. If I get on the scale expecting my weight to have gone up I try not to be judgmental, but to accept the information and act accordingly. It's better than being in denial, hiding the truth from myself for weeks and ending up in a worse position.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Well first of all if you weigh youself in the evening you will weigh more. I am a daily weigher and have done this before MFP. I don't panic when the scales goes up a little bit because I usually know it's because I had too much sodium the day before so I never get discouraged because the following day it goes right back down.

If you want to weigh yourself every day only do it first thing in the morning

One reason I weigh myself everyday now is because I am at maintenance level and don't want to lose anymore so if my weight goes down I make sure I eat enough to gain it back
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    well.. ive been weighing every day because i seem to be losing half a pound a day... i'm on my first week and kicking *kitten*.. no cheating.. working out.. under 1200 every day.. but not too much under.. i used to fluctuate all the time.. but the foods i'm eating are very good.. low in sodium which will mess with your water weight. i weigh at the same time in the morning each day. i'm sure it'll plateau at some point.. but as long as i keep doing the same things i'm doing and not change the habits i have had for the last week.. hoping to keep on the same steady losing schedule.. that's why im weighing every day... it keeps me working like a machine.
  • UB2011
    UB2011 Posts: 15
    I used to weigh myself multiple times during the day and I drove myself insane. I've got it down to once per day now (in the morning). I've lost a lot of weight over the past 1.5 years and have plateaued (going on 4 months at the same weight now -- within 5 lbs).

7066904.png
  • When the scale has something to do with your weight use it, otherwise it is a useless device. Your success will be found in exercise and good nutrition. Do that and the scale will take care of itself, also how your clothes are fitting will tell you more.
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    I usually weigh myself everyday, but I always do it in the morning before I've ate anything and after using the restroom. I find that doing this makes me stay on track more and figure out what's working for me and what's not working when it comes to my eating.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    I weigh almost daily. My weight only goes down unless there is a valid reason. I keeps me on target. However, I weigh myself at the same time each day.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    I like to weigh myself everyday and at different times of the day. I think it's fun to see how what I eat affects my weight. However, I only record my weight once a week.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    also, i checked your food diary.. and you are eating some pretty sodium rich foods.. the taco bell lunches are going to skyrocket that water weight.. it's not real weight.. but if you want it off.. try subway or a salad from another fast food restaurant! don't worry! you're doing great!!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    I weigh in every morning before I jump in the shower or take my medication/eat. i don't really care how it changes through the day, with clothes, food, water, or exercise. The next morning I do it all over again; If I have a loss and it holds for 2 days I log it, If a gain holds for 2 days I log it. I feel the scale first thing in the morning is when I motivate myself for the day, either I'm on track or I need to tweek something but I wouldn't know if it was because I didn't drink enough water, got lazy and skipped too many days of running or ate chips and salsa if I didn't weigh every day.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I've been told to weigh once a week, same time every week, same conditions every time... and for good reason I've noticed because my weight fluctuates A LOT!

Ordinarily my official weigh in is Sunday morning after I wake up and use the toilet and get naked. For funzies, I weighed myself Tuesday evening fully clothed and was up five pounds. Last night sans clothes I was only two pounds heavier. And seeing higher numbers makes me discouraged that maybe I screwed up a bit TOO bad with my calories when I only went over my target (1200) by a hundred or so (and a lot of people say 1200 is too low!)

I think I need to avoid the random urges to see just how well (or not well) I'm doing throughout the week and stick to my normal weigh in time...

If the number on the scale has that much control over you...by all means, don't weigh every day.

Think about it this way though...

If you weigh on Sunday, and took in a lot of sodium the day or two prior, you're very possibly going weigh more than last week. Now, what happens if you haven't had a bowel movement this Saturday night, but you did the previous Saturday night? Yep, you're going to weigh more. Those two things together could account for as much as 3lbs or more of weight gain compared to your last weigh in. However, take into consideration that you could also very easily have lost 1lb or more of fat since last week. Those two together will show a net gain of 2lbs plus. Does this mean your 1200cal was too much? Does it mean that that 100cal you went over made you gain weight?? What did the number on the scale ACTUALLY tell you?

Nothing.

THAT is how people like myself tolerate weighing every day. We track those fluctuations, and track what causes them. I know that the number on that scale is a general overview of what my ENTIRE body composition weighs, including muscle, fat, organs, water, undigested food, AND waste. The greatest factors in fluctuating weight during the week are water, undigested food, and waste. Your body simply doesn't add or subtract weight from its actual mass 3-5lbs at a time (under normal, healthy conditions). Because I know this...the specific number has very little power over me. The average number is more important, and even that...as long as it's going down or maintaining monthly...isn't really all that important.

So there you have it...my answer to your topic.

Good luck!
  • I weigh everyday to make sure I am on track with where I want to be. If I see that I am gaining, I adjust my food intake. If I am losing, then I keep on the way I am going. I weigh first thing in the morning when I get out of bed. Same time everyday.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Understanding what's actual fat gain and what's water fluctuations helps a lot. If you're eating at a deficit, it's not fat. That's how I looked at it throughout the entire process.
  • I'm just a numbers freak and I like to have all of the information. I'm tracking all of my food, all of my exercise, and keeping journals, I like having a number to tack on to that. I don't freak out over it though, it's only healthy to lose 1-2lbs per week, so most days I shouldn't lose anything.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I weigh every morning. If it is up, it is up....if it is down then it is down. As long as the trend in down then I am content weighing everyday. It works for me because I know there are ups and downs. I am not obsessive about it (I was, but not anymore). I just know that is how my body works.

So basically, whatever works for YOU!
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 208 Member
    I can at least understand weighing every day. I did it for a little while but that grew old REAL fast.

What I don't understand is this: "I weigh myself in the morning. Then I weigh myself before I go to the bathroom. Then I weigh myself after I go to the bathroom. Then I weigh myself before I go to bed. I might weight myself one more time during the day. And I do this everyday." WHY???!?
    I weigh myself a lot too and I don't let it bother me if I see a gain I worker harder if I see a lose I work even harder so I can keep seeing the numbers fall so it works fine for me.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    I weight myself every day (except this morning because I woke up late and had to get out the door fast my coworkers should be glad I didnt come in my pj's) I never worry if the scale says I am up but I do know what food I react bad too - re: make me retain water. And I have learned this by weighing myself every day for the most part I stay fairly close to my weight the previous week. I do not record my weight every day just once a week.

how do I tolerate the fluctuations? I just don't let them get to me. It took me a long time (like 2 years) to learn that the scale does not determine my worth but it does keep me in check. If I am having a bad day where I eat all the things, the next day my weight is most likely going to be up and then its like "oh dumbass get back on track."

You need to do what works for you - for me its a tool, if you find it upsets you or makes you discouraged than do once a week.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I weigh daily, every morning, first thing when I wake up after using the restroom. Its been studied and shown that people who weigh themselves daily not only weigh less, but keep off weight after they've lost. A simple internet search will bring up tons of scientific studies and articles.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    I weigh daily, every morning, first thing when I wake up after using the restroom. Its been studied and shown that people who weigh themselves daily not only weigh less, but keep off weight after they've lost. A simple internet search will bring up tons of scientific studies and articles.

I do the same. I don't get upset over any gain because it doesn't mean much other than I'm probably retaining water. It does however make me more determined to keep exercising and watching what I eat. When I only weighed myself once a week I felt anxious to know how I was doing. I just need to know either way good or bad every day.