Options
    Want weird ethnic food?

Odori-Don.gif

Edit: ika odori don

OH MY GOD
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The real question here is.. Why doesn't the US put cheese on their fries and gravy..

true that! :happy:

We do love cheese on our fries. When I first decided to try poutine I thought it would be just cheese fries with gravy, But its cheese curds. I never heard of cheese curds until I came here and it is certainly an acquired taste. Generally cheese fries in the states use the melted cheese sauce like you would use on nachos or maybe shredded cheese. There is a variation of poutine that is popular in NYC/NJ area. You see it in diners and its called disco fries, it doesn't use cheese curds.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No, the real question I have for you, Canada, is where's the crab Rangoon? Seriously! I told my honey to order some when he was getting chinese takeout and he looked at me like I have two heads. But what was even more unnerving was that the woman on the phone at the restaurant responded the same damn way!!!

You won't find it in Hong Kong or Bejing either. It is an American dish or at least that is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject.
    While we are talking about Chinese food, my daughter moved to Pittsburgh from Vancouver, Canada where we have a very large Chinese population and a ton of ethnic restaurants. She got a craving for Chinese food so her husband took her out. She ordered chow mein and was served a stirfry of veggies and meat with corn chips on top. There were no noodles in it at all. Chow mein means fried noodles.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I see that the Brits among us are grossed out by by cheese eggs. But then, they eat fish for breakfast, so...:tongue::sick:

I'm assuming you mean mackerel?
    Well most of us do not eat fish for breakfast. But maybe a couple like mackerel. I don't.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have never had scrambled eggs with cheese but thinking about it, it must be rather tasty. I will definitely be trying this. I love my scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, tomato, capers and brioche toast. That is what I had for lunch yesterday at one of my favourite restaurants:smile:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I see that the Brits among us are grossed out by by cheese eggs. But then, they eat fish for breakfast, so...:tongue::sick:

I'm assuming you mean mackerel?
    Well most of us do not eat fish for breakfast. But maybe a couple like mackerel. I don't.
    Kippers are not made from Mackerel they are made from Herring. and are the food of the gods. AS for scrambled eggs and cheese, I've no problem with that, Just use real cheese, Not 'american cheese' or 'jack cheese' or spray on chemical cheese. Chedder made from milk...
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i had kippers with scrambled eggs at home for breakfast last weekend. amazing!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Want weird ethnic food?

Odori-Don.gif

This just reminds me of the TUMs commercials with food fighting back, lol.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with cheese? Nope never heard of it.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    You learn so much from forums like this. I would have never thought that cheese on scrambled eggs was so out there in some cultures. Just as the idea of fish and eggs seems completely foreign to me. Question to the Brits, do you put cheese on your eggs cooked any style, such as an omelet or frittata? Or no cheese on eggs at all?

I believe there isn't much that cheese doesn't make taste better. This morning I made my hubby and I eggs the way we like them since the restaurant came up short yesterday. I took 4 eggs, some milk, chopped up some mushrooms, onions and green peppers, cheddar and mozzarella cheese and scrambled it. And it was very tasty. I have actually ordered eggs just like this in NYC restaurants, but now I know when I'm not in the states to make it at home.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with cheese? Nope never heard of it.

My Husband grew up in Calgary and he eats it that way, don't know where he got it from though.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Want weird ethnic food?

Odori-Don.gif

Don't tell me---they eat it ALIVE??! What manner of decadent folk would eat an innocent creature alive? Revolting!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    No, the real question I have for you, Canada, is where's the crab Rangoon? Seriously! I told my honey to order some when he was getting chinese takeout and he looked at me like I have two heads. But what was even more unnerving was that the woman on the phone at the restaurant responded the same damn way!!!

Crab Rangoon, people??? Although, after that poutine comment, I'm thinking road trip is in order. :)

Crab rangoon was created in the US and isn't a chinese dish, that's probably why you can't find it in Canada. Or China. :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Canadians *kitten* everything up. They are responsible for Justin Bieber and Nickelback. They even get all smug over ham. They call it "Canadian Bacon".

Ha, I hope you're joking?? I had never even heard of "Canadian bacon" until I met a bunch of Americans! I think it's like that "Aussie" brand shampoo that doesn't exist in Australia.

Sorry about Bieber and Nickelback though, and also for Celine Dion. We did give you Michael J Fox and Will Arnett at least??
  • ryanxpei
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I looooooove cheese in my scrambled eggs! They do do it, I'm not sure why they were confused. Now I am going to have some in the morning thanks to this thread!

Good night!