I am taunted by neighbours when I run up the street

Options

Replies

• bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    you are such a better person than those who are saying anything. People can really be such inconsiderate jerks! i applaude you for continuing to run! I totally agree with others, put your ear phones on and continue to run and let them see how hard you are working to reach youre goals!
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Words are by far hurtful and I know how much they hurt. Headphones if you can, I know that can cause more damage to your ears though.
    You are doing this for yourself and in the end darling, you will get the last laugh!!!
    Keep going, it will only piss them off more!!!
    Love and light to you <3
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    It makes me sick that there are people like your neighbours in the world. They must feel so terrible and ashamed of their own fat, balding disgusting bodies that they feel a need to take it out on you.

Balding disgusting bodies?

If you are prepared to classify male pattern hair loss as disgusting, that makes you just as bad as the people who are taunting the OP.

Be ashamed of yourself.

Forgive me, perhaps I should have said fat; balding; disgusting bodies? As in balding and disgusting being two separate things.

By the way, I find baldness quite sexy sometimes. I am not ashamed of myself, I simply have trouble with words on occasion.

Im fat and bald. I am disgusting.
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself! You keep on going girl! I am so impressed that you can tolerate that abuse. You are a strong woman.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing what you're doing. Most people laugh, shout and aren't nice to others when they are insecure, and this can be 'contagious' so the child may be acting on his parents' behavior.

Ignore and keep doing what you're doing, have some good music going and occasionally smile at the people who are screaming at you - some will be shocked at your reaction to the point where they'll have nothing to say. And in then end, just think about what you're doing and no one else...You're out being active! And are hard of hearing! What are other folks doing? Sitting indoors planted in front of the TV or computer, munching on junk food?!

Sooner or later you'll be a role-model for someone, especially those with a disability.

I'm a legally blind runner and so run with a tether which means I'm "tied" to my guide - to some it looks like the sighted person is "Taking me for a walk" so I do hear the occasional remark of "Good job!" though my sighted partner tells me those folks were just being plain mean and thought my guide was walking me since well...I am tied to them via a lanyard, which some see as a sort of 'leash'. However some people know what the tether's for and congratulate me on doing it and to keep doing what I'm doing.

I don't have a label plastered on my back with 'blind runner' on it, as such some have misconceptions and others do not. With a hearing impairment I would imagine this to be a little harder to show - so just ignore and turn a blind eye and keep running!

One day, you'll be fitter than they are and they'll have nothing to say for they're own lack of fitness and they'll wonder how you look so good in your clothes!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I run.

I run for my health and because I enjoy it.

I am over 13 stone and a size 16 (down from 18 stone and size 24).

I now can run continuously for 2 hours covering 8.5 miles and I am proud of this and enjoy running :)

But I get a lot of negative comments from strangers, normally from young males who wind their windows down to shout comments at me as they drive past. Luckily I am hard of hearing so I miss the actual words screamed at me but it is clear from facial expressions and tones that the comments are negative...I ignore and keep on running.

A few weeks ago, new neighbours have taken on a house which needs a lot of building work done on it and hence are frequently outside the building and their young son has taken to pointing laughing and making various remarks about running and my weight, to and at me, which I ignore as he is a young child (around 8yo) and knows no better.

Then I 'met' his father, who joined in with his son and shouted so loudly across the road that I heard him clearly, despite my deafness/hard of hearing issues. He pretended to speak in the affections of a person with special needs and screamed 'Run Forest, Run' at me.

I crossed the road and asked him not to call me names in the street. He sneered and said he was only singing as I ran past and didn't get 'my ****ing problem'. When I explained that I received enough comments from strangers and expected my new neighbours to be more courteous. His wife screamed from an upper store window, that I was '****ing over reacting' and that I should '*expect* comments when I run outside'.

Am I being unreasonable to expect neighbours to be polite to each other, not to mock them ?

I accept strangers might be nasty but is it acceptable to be pointed at, laughed at and name called on my door step....as I am *fat* and I run outside.

I may be old fashioned but I operate on the 'if you can't say anything nice, say nothing' policy and would never shout at strangers on the street.

Sigh, this won't stop me running but it just makes it harder for me to get out there. Why be nasty for no reason ?

Wow! You have made some amazing progress. When people behave that way they are just hating. Keep doing your own thing and everything will be fine. Invest in an mp3 player if you have to.
  • cynthiamoore86
    Options
    Your neighbours are *kitten*. Keep up the great work :smile:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Just keep running, and turn the ipod up!!!! I used to get cussed at and actually had a car full of teenage boys stop their car, wind down their windows and yell "Hey fatty *kitten*" and drive off. I have also had high school cheerleaders that practice behind the legion where i live stop their practice, stare me up and down and make faces. :grumble: :explode:

But, when I am the one covering the games, its funny to see the look of horror on their faces and running across the field has shut most of them up. So i get my revenge :laugh:

Just keep going and one day, they will stop and say "hot damn!!!!!!!!" :drinker:
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Your neighbours are *kitten*. Keep up the great work :smile:

/\ /\ /\ this! Your neighbours are total dinks.
  • javy_kb
    Options
    BUY A TREADMIL?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Keep the headphones in and the music turned up, that's what I do. Humans are *kitten*.

Couldn't agree more. But you are worth making yourself feel better so do what you WANT to do - do NOT listen to negative crap from people who aren't worth your time.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    All I can say is WOW. Obviously you are doing something about it and trying to make yourself better and they are trying to make fun and bring you down and it really makes my blood boil! PLUS they are raising their child to be rude and a bully as well. Please dont be discouraged and keep on going. They are the ones with the problem not you!
  • Dani_Strength
    Dani_Strength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work, they are only jealous!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    OMG! Are these people in elementary school? It's like the most immature thing I've ever heard in my life. I agree with the rest, blare your music when you are running and don't even give people the satisfaction of acknowledging their presence. BTW, I looked at your picture. You are not big AT ALL.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    give them the finger and keep on running.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Wow, no one should be that rude whether they're neighbors or strangers. Total *kitten*.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Young males...well, yea. That is to be expected. But a FATHER..and a NEIGHBOR out there doing it. That's just WRONG. And he is teaching his son to be insensitive to others.

I am sorry that is happening, but I am still SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU to keep on going.

One day weight just might creep up on your neighbors (as it did to me), and they will want to run...and reflect back to this time. I am sure of it. Karma has a way to boomerang back.

But, still, GOOD FOR YOU!!
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I crossed the road and asked him not to call me names in the street. He sneered and said he was only singing as I ran past and didn't get 'my ****ing problem'. When I explained that I received enough comments from strangers and expected my new neighbours to be more courteous. His wife screamed from an upper store window, that I was '****ing over reacting' and that I should '*expect* comments when I run outside'.

Keep running! Run past their house every damn day. Run past their house twice a day every damn day. Run as hard as you can for as long as you can. Run until you're not *fat* anymore. Then run right up to their doorstep, knock on the *kitten*'s door and ask if he thinks it's funny now!
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends ex-wife made a comment about my fatness. I looked right at her and said, " I can change fat, you can't change cu_t". She never commented again. Try that on them. " you can change fat but you can't change stupid( or whatever). Then ignore them. And if their dog barks, call and complain to animal control. But I'm not as nice as most people!