I am taunted by neighbours when I run up the street

Options

Replies

• whmaughan
    Options
    That is unbelievable. Your neighbors are disgusting people. You keep on running and smiling. Next time somebody is rude to me, I'll remember your example. You're an inspiration!
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd get a t shirt that said in front..."yeah, I'm trying my best to get in shape" and on the back it would say after I passed them, "You're stupid, what can you do about it?"
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Honey, we are exercising and running to "fix" our fat, too bad for them you can't fix "stupid"!
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    good for you trying to get/stay healthy the 2 beauties on your profil,e will always be your #1 cheerleaders... your a better rolemodel to them then he is to his son!! what a shame i once read someones post reply to a simular story but it was someone running at a beach... it gone something like this..... yes you see someone who may be very big (not the normal stick runner) stomping/jogging/running down the path and you hear about people giving that person a hard time, but take a step back and see how stupid you look doing such that.i totally give that person who's trying their best massive credit then to you who is acting like a child sitting on your *kitten*!!!!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Screw them. Your neighbors (and all the strangers that stop and yell out their car) are nothing but azzhats. You are beautiful inside... and out... just for being you and striving to get healthy. That is all that matters. Just be you. You will be rewarded. And, they can just go to hell.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wear a t-shirt that says "Ask me about my low-class, trashy neighbors". I'll even design the shirt for you. I've got about ten different ideas for slogans just thinking about it.
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ditto to the girl who said challenge them and put there feet where their mouth is or button it, and you keep on running and as they see you getting fit and smaller, then keep on running and smiling inside where it counts. YOU GO GIRL!!
    can't fight stupid, and ignoramisis.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    Silly question but what is the best way to acknowledge/recognize someone's efforts without being offensive? A few times, I've had friends give me the 'thumbs up' when they see me power walking but that's about it...
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    size is not a measure of health, clearly if you can run that long you are very healthy! Screw them! "The only thing you can tell from looking at an overweight person are your own prejudices against overweight people"

Walk up to them and say "if you think Im so huge, why dont you race me? 5 miles!" Because you know for SURE you could outrun them anyday!

Shut them right up....

This!!! I'd love to see you race anyone in that family because you would whip their rude a$$es. You should be proud of what you've accomplished. 8.5 miles is a great distance to run. You are doing great!!!

And I feel sorry for the little boy who is learning all of that hate and rudeness from his parents. He might not know better (though at 8 yrs old I think he should know basic manners) but his parents should know better.

Ignore them. You're awesome.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Your fixing what you don't like about yourself. They will forever remain the idiots they are. Run and be proud of yourself!
  • karabff
    karabff Posts: 98
    Options
    grab the ear phones an run ....an in no time you will be running in that sexy new sport out fit looking all hot an not only will the neighbor an his wife be gawking but the comments will be whats your number-ppl are idioits-an those who act like that have some serious issues of there own---dont let anyone stop you from getting your health back an meeting your goals-these *kitten* are not worth it
  • MrsKTillman
    Options
    my favorite reply to people like this is... " i may be fat but im working on that.. your going to be ugly forever"
    Then call the police and see if there is anything they can charge him with... like disorderly conduct maybe?
    if all of that fails... hire a group of teenagers to egg his house at halloween.. right or wrong you will feal MUCH better LOL
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear all the bad comments...but really you want to run so run put your head phones on really loud and when you hear or see them turn the other way or look down and dont worry about it. im not the best runner and i always look the other way myself so i dont have to see people faces or hear there comments
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Headphones, and a t-shirt that says "My fat @ss can outrun your rude @ss. Jerk"

:laugh:

*this*
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    or consider this:
    the way you handle yourself with these people may mean all the difference in the world to someone who is watching, going through the same thing. 'if she can do it, so can i.'
    there is a special place in heaven for the peacemakers and if you REALLY want to pile it on without getting into an argument, just forgive them and send up a blessing for them.
    :)
  • jcnuebel
    Options
    Ask them if they want to run with you....obviously they are miserable people who need some sort of stress reliever...maybe they have never considered running before. HA! I say that tongue in cheek.. Keep running girlie....one day you will get healthier and they will still be jerks. Success is the best revenge!!
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    I had this same issue when I started. Teenagers rolling down their windows and yelling things like 'you're fat' or 'you NEED to run farther/faster' etc. I'll admit, it hurt at first.

Then I ran my first 5K, followed shortly after a 10K. I've hiked beautiful mountain ranges, and took off my shirt and swam in the ocean. I've started training for a half marathon, and will run my first full marathon next fall.

Bottom line is this: Those kids may have grown up, or maybe they still like to hurt people by saying negative things. Either way, you've come a long way by staying committed. It looks you've got an entire MFP army behind you, and we'll support you till the end. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO!
  • ladyrider650
    ladyrider650 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    just bide your time when the 8 year old is a fat little thing in a few years you can turn it around on him, but good on you for sticking up for your self and cudos to you for running 8 mile omg i cant even run 1. awesome. karma will get them all.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wow... & somehow I had always hoped our world seemed a little kinder once we left high school behind. Sadly... some people never grow out of being an a**hole. I'm so very, very sorry that you have to endure this. Nobody should be treated in that manner, especially when you are doing something to better yourself & are probably getting in better shape than most of the people who are engaging in this behavior. Honestly, you have my utmost admiration not only for trucking through some very tedious workouts to improve your health & happiness, but also for being able to continue to do so while being treated in a manner that would make many of us want to give up & hide. People can truly be brutal to one another, and I know that simply telling you that they are not worth your hurt really does nothing to ease what they have inflicted upon you.

Honestly, headphones are one thing to try (I wear them myself simply because it helps me to feel less connected or possibly judged when I'm out), but if I were you I might also simply look for another nearby location to work out. Perhaps you can drive your car a few blocks away to a kinder location, or perhaps you can round up some workout partners to go with you to help keep your focus off the negativity being thrown at you. In any case, don't give up, as you certainly deserve better treatment than what you are getting, and you've worked too hard to let people like that take all that progress away from you. <3
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Some people have no class :(

Keep running gal! It sounds like you have some cruel trash for neighbors. I don't know why they would pick on someone trying to better her health.
    Well put!