Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from when you say that physical appearance is particularly important in some lines of work, such as the health/fitness industry. However, I'm more concerned with a person's KNOWLEDGE of said industry more than whether or not they choose to apply it to their own lives. Just because a health/fitness professional appears not to be physically fit, that doesn't mean they don't know HOW to get fit. I may be a little leary because of their appearance, but, more often than not, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I will admit, though, sometimes it does take a conscious effort not to jump to conclusions based on somebody's appearance.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why, when my doctor suggested I become a trainer, I laughed in her face. Yeah, I've come a long way, but I'm not *there* yet.
  • RemingtonFae
    Options
    Weight is not an indicator of health.

You can be heavier AND in better shape then people who weigh significantly less than you do.

Thinness and hardness are not an accurate measure of how healthy/active a person is.

I think it is important for nutritionists and personal trainers to be healthy and active, of course. But I've seen amazing fitness instructors who have "chubby" bodies, and I've seen hardbodied and skinny personal trainers who are completely useless at their job.

The problem is one of perception of health, and the way the (American) media portrays health.
    /rant
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'm their biggest cheerleader... (though I do look a bit odd in a skirt and pigtails).

... was that your halloween costume??
    No. Bane. I'll have pics shortly.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    No. not really bothered.
    I remember back when I took a nutrition class in college and had two instructors. One, thin and had previous eating disorder issues (she admitted). The other a little heavy. Who knows what path led her to that job, but she still knew her stuff. I still learned a lot from her.
    So, there's also a difference between a trainer and nutritionist.

I've had a trainer who was heavy and I think it was because he'd put on the pounds after years of football, so he naturally looked bigger. My current trainer is female, less than 30 years old and weighs about 140 pounds. Shrug. I had no clue *what* she would look like, I only knew her credetials in writing.
  • sgreen328
    Options
    As a heavy person in the process of transformation, I want a trainer and nutritionist that practices what they preach. First impressions are everything and I want to know that what they are selling to me actually works.
  • soulgirl1
    Options
    oh I am so sorry about my terrible typing! The smiley is in the wrong place too, can you tell I am new at posting,, its a little scary to be honest!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    - "Hey, you're attractive. I would like to propagate my genetic code with you and fondle your naughty bits..."
    ...or
    - "You scare and/or intimidate the *kitten* out of me. I need to flee, fight or pee in every corner of the room..."
    ...or
    - "Holy crap, WTF happened to your face? Did you mother breed with a wildebeest?" ...

I laughed out loud!

Let's get right to the important stuff..."mammal", "you're", "your". Muah!

All hail the grammar czar!

As stated above, if it was someone that was working on their own body, I'd be OK with it, especially if they actually were sharing their progress photos and stats as inspiration. I worked at a gym for a short while and a guy that started his journey to get fit and rid himself of his obesity loved fitness so much he decided to become a personal trainer. He was still over weight, but he would smoke you harder than most of the other trainers and if you wanted to come in during the gyms slow hours, he'd work out with you and he wasn't goofing around. Great guy, with great energy, and he literally loved what he was doing and it showed.

On the other hand, I have a problem dealing with people that can't practice what they preach.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    For me it makes me question their ability. I mean I am relying on them to help ME be the best I can be and if they aren't at their best how can they help me. I had a nutritionist that was on the chubbier side a while ago and she was the one that brought up why... turns out she had just had a baby and was in the midst of losing her baby weight - so I forgave her gave her a shot. But in general I have a hard time listening to someone tell me what to do when they don't appear to follow the same thing.

I feel the same about Dr's though. I had an extremely over weight Dr. tell me I was fat and that I needed to lose weight (something I was working on at the time) and I looked at him and said "Yup, as soon as you do." he didn't know how to answer me.
  • nikic50
    nikic50 Posts: 209
    Options
    I believe in first impressions - especially when it comes to fitness, but like it's been said before - I don't know where they've come from in their fitness journey. If they can teach me what I need to know & how to do it correctly - I'm all ears!!! And, yes, I'd feel much less self-conscious around them :blushing:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from when you say that physical appearance is particularly important in some lines of work, such as the health/fitness industry. However, I'm more concerned with a person's KNOWLEDGE of said industry more than whether or not they choose to apply it to their own lives. Just because a health/fitness professional appears not to be physically fit, that doesn't mean they don't know HOW to get fit. I may be a little leary because of their appearance, but, more often than not, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I will admit, though, sometimes it does take a conscious effort not to jump to conclusions based on somebody's appearance.
    Agreed. That falls under the "don't judge a book by its cover" doctrine. Though, if it's a fitness book, and the cover has love-handles, saddle-bags and the diabetus... there may be a better book on Amazon. Just sayin.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think I would have a hard time taking them seriously. And maybe they are educated and I would miss out on some knowledge, but I just don't think I would be able to get past the visual. I already know that when I have overweight friends telling me about how I need to change my diet or how their diet is better than mine it's totally impossible for me to do anything other than roll my eyes. I'm trying to be healty and fit, if you are not already healthy and fit then I don't see how you can help me. Actions speak louder than words and if you don't look like you are walking the walk then I'm certainly not going to hear your attempts to talk the talk.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more! It's a profession where image is everything. Most personal trainers have to "sell themselves", and it would be tough to do that when you don't look fit. I had a trainer approach me at the gym asking me what my goal was. I really didn't realize she was a trainer - I thought she was a fellow (chubby) member looking for a work-out buddy. I almost asked her what her goal was until I saw her name tag. I certainly wasn't in any position to pay someone who looks worse than me (and I am admittedly in terrible shape and quite chubby myself) to tell me how to look "better". I already know how to look like THAT, I'm living it. It's an industry where you need to lead by example. So, I'm sure I will also get beat up for my comments, but I am a "chubby" person myself, and I also would expect a "fitness professional" to actually be "fit" and walk-the-walk.
  • elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nurses and doctors are people too we still need education. Let's see i did not have to take not a one nutrition class to get me degree. I did gain during nsg schol related to stress, time and money. Nutrionalist and personal trainers are just people too. So if you are carpenter look around your home what needs to be fixed? So you may be a waitress do u wait on family? So you may work in the court system does that mean u have never had been in any trouble? So you are homemaker so u make all your blankets and quilts? Get real
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    All hail the grammar czar!
    No. In her defense, I'm a grammar Nazi. And I totally butchered that post on the first pass. I would have made fun of me too.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    For me, it would depend on HOW chubby. I've seen some bigger women work out harder than their skinnier counterparts. If these chubby individuals are still working on their own bodies and have the adequate training and knowledge necessary to train me, I really wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think I'd be happy with a trainer who could show me their progress in pictures too. I think it would be really encouraging for them to show 'this was me and this is me now' to show that what they're promoting/selling/teaching actually works.

This has nothing to do with anything except that I LOVE Your avatar (no pun intended). Toph Beifong rules.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My initial knee jerk reaction agrees with you. I would never higher a personal trainer that looks like my "before" photo (when I was 235). As for a nutritionist who looks unhealthy, if they appear "chuuby" I hope it's because they are in the process of losing weight and perhaps havent hit their goal weight.

If the trainer/nutritionist is male and overweight, then I would only work with that person if they are in the process of returning to their normal weight (they could have recently recovered from an injury that prevented him from working out for 5-8 months). Perhaps he is finishing his bulking cycle and will soon be cutting? If female, I would subtly find out if they recently had children (within the last year or two).

I wouldn't hire a trainer/nutritionist who doesn't practice what they preach. I also wouldn't visit a doctor who smokes. Working with a trainer is about trust and finding one that is the right fit. If that trainer isn't the right fit, there are plenty of other trainers to choose from. In the end, it's your money. Spend it on a person who you trust.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I'd rather train with someone who believes in me and listens to my goals and wants, but knows how to motivate me as well. I've had several trainers who were totally in shape but didn't know what the hell they were doing. Super buff dudes trying to tell me to work through injuries or to not rest a sprain, are you kidding me?

My favorite trainer and now friend and mentor is a tiny girl who lost over 100 lbs and has completed over five marathons. She might not look intimidating but that girl has whipped me into shape and I basically worship at her fitness alter!

Fitness comes in all shapes and sizes.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Logically, sure, I know a trainer could be overweight and still have just as much (or more) experience in the field than one who was in shape, as their own habits have no direct link to the lessons they've learned. But... I'd still pass. On some level, it would be annoying to have someone in worse shape than me telling me how to get in shape.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I don't know their journey.

I don't know if they have lost 100lbs to this point.

No, it doesn't bother me.

^ This.

I have a friend that has lost 140 lbs. with somewhere around 70 more to lose, and is currently working to become certified in either nutrition counseling or personal training, I can't remember which. But he is doing it because he understands what people at his original size are going through, and he can connect with them perhaps a little bit better than someone who has never been more than, say, 30 lbs. overweight in their life (or even overweight at all).

I was just in a Zumba class a couple weeks ago where the teacher was short and chubby. I will admit that at first, I was questioning how the class was going to go (if it was going to be challenging enough). Within three minutes, I was already getting my butt kicked. The gym is a tricky place to judge books by their covers, so to speak.