What counts as water

Options
My wife and I were having a debate yesterday and I would like to get other opinions.

My side only water counts as water

Her side she counts water with crystal light, hot tea with nothing added, black coffee.

What do you guys count?

Replies

• mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water with crystal light and tea. Im not sure about black coffee. I guess it just depends on how technical you want to be, because technically black coffee (or any kind of coffee) has water in it. There are lots of things that contain water, but I generally only count something as water if it is mostly water. I hope that makes sense, lol. So I think you are both right.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Pure water as water anything else goes in my snacks column. My opinion anyway
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Water counts as water. (everything else is unaccounted bonus :happy: )
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a real problem drinking water so I drink really weak squash and I count that as my water :)
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Water with flavoring is water... tea and coffee are iffy as they have caffenine and serve to dehydrate also....
  • csevier1967
    Options
    Water is water. My Doctor said vitamin waters are a good source of vitamins and water. :)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I count all liquids that are close to 0 in calories as water. But most of my water is just that - water. I do have one mug of coffee per day, sometimes also a mug of green tea - I count each of those as 1 cup of water also, although the mug holds closer to 12 ounces.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    water is water. iced tea is iced tea. lemonade is lemonade. you get the idea. if i followed her logic i could count beer as water. wait, maybe i WILL follow her logic.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I drink plain water and water with Crystal light. I count it all as water. I need a little flavor or I don't get all my water in during the day at my desk.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think you are both right. I only count plain water as water. But you do get water from alot of other sources, even fruit and veggies. The question is what hydrates you most or what affect does the additional ingredient have? Does the addition of crystal light or the caffeine in coffee offset the effect of the water? If it does, then your 20oz water with crystal light might really only provide 10oz of hydration.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Water and herbal teas I count as water.

I would also count the 0 calorie adders to water as water as well, but I don't drink those anymore.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I count plain iced tea as water as well. I mostly just drink water at work. But at home, I drink more iced tea. If I were to put sugar in it, I would count it as sweetened tea, which I would not count as water. But plain tea is water that was heated up and cooled again. The tea leaves do not negate it being water.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When it comes to hytradtion anything with water in it is water. You don't have to have 8 cups of water each day. You need 8 cups of fluid.
  • aimeebtn
    aimeebtn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I actually talked to my doctor about this and you are correct. Only water counts as water. She said things like crystal light and tea (even with out adding anything to the tea) takes away from the purity of the water and does add things to our bodies that we don't necessarily need.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I count only water... I drink it with Mio sometimes, and that still counts as water. I drink 1 cup of coffee a day, but that isn't counted in my water intake.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were having a debate yesterday and I would like to get other opinions.

My side only water counts as water

Her side she counts water with crystal light, hot tea with nothing added, black coffee.

What do you guys count?

Its simple

YOUR WIFE IS WRONG. WATER = WATER. COFFEE = COFFEE
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    When it comes to hytradtion anything with water in it is water. You don't have to have 8 cups of water each day. You need 8 cups of fluid.

INCORRECT, guess again
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. I don't do the crystal light stuff, so not sure I would count that. I do not count black coffee or tea, as neither one is very good at hydrating me.

I use my blood donation experiences as an example -

Several cups of coffee, breakfast, and off to donate. Difficulty finding a vein, flow extremely slow once they got it, taking a long time to get the pint, and having to work at it to get those last few vials they take to test or whatever.

Several cups of water and normal food, and off to donate again. Easy to fine my vein, filled that pint in half the time, with no issues getting the last vials. If I go in the afternoon, it goes even faster, and they usually have to ice pack my arm to get the blood to stop when I'm done.

Water clearly does a better job of hydrating me than black coffee does. :tongue:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I actually talked to my doctor about this and you are correct. Only water counts as water. She said things like crystal light and tea (even with out adding anything to the tea) takes away from the purity of the water and does add things to our bodies that we don't necessarily need.
    Get a new doctor.
    Even coffee and tea don't really dehydrate you and can be counted (if you want to count).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I discussed this with my neurologist. He said that ALL liquid counts. Liquids come from many food sources also, like pasta, yogurt, the milk in your cereal, water in oatmeal, etc. Fruits and vegetables also have a lot of water in them. Look at watermelon! It's full of water.
    I used to think that the water in coffee or other caffeinated drinks shouldnt count but if I go out and run after having some, I wont have to (yeah tmi) pee because I sweat it off. If I had stayed home, I'd be in the bathroom within 15 minutes.

Again, perhaps tmi, but If you think not getting enough water is an issue for one of you, check your pee. If it's dark yellow, drink until it's clear! Repeat as necessary!