Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    When people meet me, they have no idea I'm a lawyer - I don't fit the mold...
    Hmm. I wouldn't understand this.. at all. Weird.

LOL - and after this weekend, will continue not to tell them. A LOT of requests for free advice for some reason. None of them my practice area, of course... :grumble:

I get that, too. When someone tells me, I don't seem like a lawyer, I usually take that as a compliment.

You got it! But I think we're getting off topic... Let's try to reroute it - would you rather have a thin lawyer or a "chubby" lawyer - using Gorilla's term, not mine.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The trainer I used to get a good kick start looks like a short version of Michael Clarke Duncan. Weight and strength trainer at a D1 NCAA school by day. By far the most fit trainer at my Y. Also a gentle giant.
    I don't think any of the trainers are obese.
    A few years ago I took a spinning class lead by a women who was a little thick in the middle. But she was in incredible shape. She drove rode the class hard.
    There are many different natural body types. I have a nephew (wife's side) who naturally has way above average muscle mass. If he spent 30 minutes a day in the gym people would swear he is doing at least 3 hours and using steroids. His father has biceps almost as thick as my neck and I have to use a wrench to remove a nut that he tightens with his bare fingers.
    But if I spent 3 hours a day in the gym I wouldn't come close to their muscle mass.
    Sure, initial impressions are what they are.
    As for obese healthcare workers? It seems like every day there is a news article about another hospital chain that is setting a maximum BMI for new hires and instituting mandatory fitness and nutrition counseling for current employees that are obese.
    Japan already has to put up with this at every employer. Submit to waistline measurement every year. Fines for the company if too many employees measure over 85cm for men and 90 cm for women. My waist hasn't been 85cm since I was way under weight and puking 5 times a day.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Yes. Personally it's disconcerting to see nutritionists who clearly either do not follow their own counsel or DO follow their own counsel and have crap results. Same with overweight diabetes counselors.

On the subject of nutritionists in general, there seem to be two main types. The first is the chubby nutrition counselor. The second is the dried up, pinched lips maiden aunt looking nutrition counselor. Neither one inspires confidence in me. I can look like crap on my own.
  • kolhagen62
    kolhagen62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I think I can top that one...how about seeing a "chubby" traininer and smoking outside the gym doors...yep! puffing away on a cancer stick..."do as I say not as I do" ??? Really!!! what kind of message is he sending to his clients...
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm personally more apt to listen to a chubby trainer or RD than an "under-chubby" one, in other words...too thin. I want someone who has an idea what it's like to be on the heavier side when dealing with me, not someone who is either too thin (IMO of course), or someone who has never had to deal with extra weight like I am dealing with.
  • martintanz
    Options
    When people meet me, they have no idea I'm a lawyer - I don't fit the mold...
    Hmm. I wouldn't understand this.. at all. Weird.

LOL - and after this weekend, will continue not to tell them. A LOT of requests for free advice for some reason. None of them my practice area, of course... :grumble:

I get that, too. When someone tells me, I don't seem like a lawyer, I usually take that as a compliment.

You got it! But I think we're getting off topic... Let's try to reroute it - would you rather have a thin lawyer or a "chubby" lawyer - using Gorilla's term, not mine.

Actually, I have thought about that. Besides longevity and health, I suspect that my expanding waistline was starting to hurt my business. It isn't that being a little pudgy is disqualifying for a lawyer. If it were, 90% of lawyers would be out of business. But I did notice that I was starting to become one of "those" guys. Fat, disheveled. Shirt tail coming out of my pants. And buttons popping in the front. Mismatched pants and jacket because the pants that came with the suit no longer fit. And, unable to button the suit coat. (but nonetheless, stubbornly refusing to buy new fat suits at a big and tall shop because I didn't want to be the shortest guy at the big and tall shop) Fortunately, I have come back from that bad place and my big suits are starting to fit. Now I need to get down to where my smaller suits will fit again.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'd be lying if I said that I don't love it when I walk into a room and counsel that I've never met look at me with that "Oh *kitten*.. You've gotta be kidding me" look.

I quietly say to myself, "Yeah. Then that happened..."
  • dorothytd
    Options
    [/quote]

Actually, I have thought about that. Besides longevity and health, I suspect that my expanding waistline was starting to hurt my business. It isn't that being a little pudgy is disqualifying for a lawyer. If it were, 90% of lawyers would be out of business. But I did notice that I was starting to become one of "those" guys. Fat, disheveled. Shirt tail coming out of my pants. And buttons popping in the front. Mismatched pants and jacket because the pants that came with the suit no longer fit. And, unable to button the suit coat. (but nonetheless, stubbornly refusing to buy new fat suits at a big and tall shop because I didn't want to be the shortest guy at the big and tall shop) Fortunately, I have come back from that bad place and my big suits are starting to fit. Now I need to get down to where my smaller suits will fit again.
    [/quote]

I would agree that disheveled doesn't help a practice. There are a couple of disheveled folk I run into on a regular basis - different shapes and sizes, and I wonder what their clients think. (Makes me remember to comb my hair...) Sounds like you are making great progress!!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    I'd be lying if I said that I don't love it when I walk into a room and counsel that I've never met look at me with that "Oh *kitten*.. You've gotta be kidding me" look.

I quietly say to myself, "Yeah. Then that happened..."

LOL! I would like to see someone watch you walk into the room!!
  • hunderwoman
    hunderwoman Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree completely... Its like going to a dentist who has nasty teeth.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Besides longevity and health, I suspect that my expanding waistline was starting to hurt my business. It isn't that being a little pudgy is disqualifying for a lawyer. If it were, 90% of lawyers would be out of business.
    The hard truth is that "sex sells," regardless of anyone's morality-based delusions. It has been proven through course of multiple studies... attractive people get more opportunities... better jobs, better sales, more promotions, etc.

And you know better than anyone... when you weigh the potential credibility and "likeability" of a witness on the stand, how they "look" is a HUGE factor in your decision... and the prosecution's decision as well.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, looks would matter to me if I was selecting a trainer on sight. And for me that applies multiple ways. I wouldn't want a bodybuilder / "get big" kind of trainer, either. I already have trouble fitting into the Humvees the goverment makes me cram myself into along with body armor, weapons, and equipment. Therefore, a trainer who is good for people looking to "get big" isn't useful for me.

As others have said, I would want to know their story. Maybe they have a medical issue. Maybe they are in progress of losing weight. Maybe they're brilliant and suck at time management so they can't apply their knowledge to their own lives.

But here's another thing I'd want to see: Their OTHER customers. No matter how good a trainer looks, if their customers consistenly aren't showing progress, then why would I expect them to make progress with me? There's a lot to be said for a teacher (of any sort) who is able or unable to reach their student where their student is and work with that person. So even if they look great and are brilliant, if they can't teach or guide their student, they're not worth your money.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I took voice lessons once and the person i ended up with had a really grating voice. I didn't do what she told me because I didn't want to sound like her. That said, I'd feel more comfortable going to someone who knows what it's like to lose as much as I have to go, which is roughly 60 lbs.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would be skeptical at first too, but then I agree that I don't know their back story. Perhaps she just got done being pregnant with Triplets. Maybe she is on the downward slope of losing hundreds of pounds. I am always one to give someone the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions though.
  • johnsonjohn
    Options
    So I see so many people here judging a person based on their appearance if they are capable of doing their job? Isn't that why most of us are here? Were we not tired of being judged based on our appearance at some point? Yes, when we are talking about trainers and nutrionist we have an idea in mind of what we feel they should look like, but if they are teaching you the things YOU need to know does it really matter? I would much rather take the advice of a "not so in shape" person who has put the time and effort into an education and earned a degree in there field over one of those "certified" trainers or workers at you local supplement stores who more than likely spent a couple weekends being taught by the out of shape people to get there "certification".
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great response Sarah!
    Thanks, at least I think you are talking to meeeee LOL. :)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am a fitness instructor. When I got licensed I was a bit heavier than I am now, but I dropped 20 pounds BEFORE I started teaching - for just this reason. I see "chubby" instructors at my gym all the time, and in the past when I've seen someone instructing a class that was overweight, it turned me off of that class (even though I still took some of them and really got a great workout). For me it seems to be a "Practice what you preach" type thing.

The way I see it is this: What you're telling me to do clearly you're not following. Why? Do you not believe in it? Does it not work?

That having been said, I just LOVE seeing heavy people at the gym. I don my pom-poms and pleated skirt and give them tons of encouragement! It's awesome!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, i didn't read all the posts so sorry if this has been covered.

I personally am more inspired by the people at the gym teaching classes that look more fit. BUT, I did have a teacher for kickboxing once that was on the obese side. But after hearing her story of recently dropping 70+ lbs, I decided that I liked taking a class from someone who had been through the struggles I was currently going through.
    So I suppose the lesson here is, you can't always judge a book by it's cover <insert grown for obvious cliche>
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't know their journey.

I don't know if they have lost 100lbs to this point.

No, it doesn't bother me.

This^^^ No one knows you're story. Doctors, nurses, nutritionists & trainers are all humans first, therefore, prone to making bad decisions and have life affect them the same way it does people that are not in those fields.