Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• Kkleo2102
    Options
    I think it depends on the trainer/nutrionist. I would work with a chubby trainer/nutrionist if I saw them eating the food they're telling me to eat and working out as hard as I'm supposed to workout. If I never see them in there, then no I wouldn't work with them. This one gym I went to, the manager was talking about a healthy lifestyle and eating right, but before his speech (the one where he was trying to get me to sign up there with a trainer) I saw him put away two big macs. That manager was about 300 pounds. The trainer was the complete opposite. He was able to talk me into joining and everything. But he was chubby. Just a little though. Every time I went in to workout he was there working out, he would always eat healthy too.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Their bodies are their business....they are poor advertising for themselves. They lose credibility with me.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    This^^^ No one knows you're story. Doctors, nurses, nutritionists & trainers are all humans first, therefore, prone to making bad decisions and have life affect them the same way it does people that are not in those fields.
    Yeah, but... my 8 year old son makes bad decisions constantly. I don't take fitness advice from him either. ;)
  • lyleschafer
    lyleschafer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lol'd - very rare for me. Thanx. You are a very funny guy.
    Lyle
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Chubbiness doesn't mean unhealthiness. Many nutritionists battle the bulge too, and that's exactly the reason they entered the field.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes. Same as a financial planner whose finances are a train wreck or a dog trainer whose dog behaves like a beast instead of a well trained dog. Portray in your life what you are trying to be an expert at. IMHO anyway
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the OP. I couldn't take seriously a trainer who looks like he just downed an entire bad of Doritos. Or a nutritionist who looks like they haven't eaten a banana this millennia.

Personal trainers especially, should look the part. I could give a pass to the nutritionalist, since most of that is just plain knowledge. But a trainer? No effin way.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Chubbiness doesn't mean unhealthiness.
    Yeah... yeah.. it kinda does.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It may not be fair, but appearance does count. I signed up for a belly dance class years ago as part of my fitness plan, and the instructor was soooooooooooooo out of shape. I had the instant mental image that if I took her class I'd look like her, so I didn't go back for a second class.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I think everyone can agree that a fit image goes a long way when "marketing" your services as a trainer, nutritionist, et al. And that's not to say that you don't "know your stuff" because you're unfit, but many people may never give you the opportunity to "shine," because of the package.
  • rodneyderrick
    Options
    Chubbiness doesn't mean unhealthiness.
    Yeah... yeah.. it kinda does.

No it does not. Just because a person is a little chubby doesn't mean they're unhealthy. There are a lot of factors involved in a person's health.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What about chubby doctors (or even above chubby) who tell you if you lose weight you'll feel better, look better and be healthier and live longer? Everytime my doctor said that I wanted to kick him in the teeth. Of course I couldnt have gotten my leg that high back then. I've lost 113 pounds since last October and not once when I come in for my regular bloodwork etc, does he ever acknowledge my weight loss. I see him every 3 months for bloodwork/medication review. Would be nice just once to hear, you're doing great, wtg, or something!
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I once had a buffed out muscular trainer and he spent the whole time looking at his watch, his phone, checking out the girls and paid very little attention to me. I changed to an older guy, small gut, but he is prior army who still believes in fitness. He spent every minute on ME. Not the others around him. The only time he did was when he walked me around the gym challenging guys in the weight room to a push up contest with me (I was in the Navy at the time, so I could still do a push up of two!). He was the best trainer I had worked with. So sometimes the fittest guys may look the part, but don't act it. That is my humble opinion. :)
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't work as a nutritionist, but I've taught kids nutrition and do work with healthy eating and gardening. I'm not really noticeably chubby but my weight has fluctuated through the years. I don't think my weight affected my ability to teach and promote healthy eating habits at all. In fact, I think it made me easier to relate to!

I could talk about the portion sizes I ate growing up or having a diabetic mother. How well would some skinny white girl who'd always been naturally thin and pranced around in yoga pants relate to women in the low-income African-American community, 85% of which are overweight or obese? It was hard enough relating on a race level, but I think my struggles with food made me a lot easier to talk to.

Then again, I've never had an issue eating my veggies and grew up in a hippie dippie household where quinoa was preferred to mac n' cheese. I just come from a family of eaters and grew up loving food. And I know a lot about nutrition because of that. There's no hypocrisy in my talking about nutrition. I know what I'm talking about and I actively try to eat healthfully.

I think if you judge based on the exterior, you miss out on what a person has to offer. I think most people on this site should have realized that by now!!! Come on, guys!
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    This all seems to assume that one works with a trainer for the purpose of weight loss, and for that purpose only. I don't. I have two trainers - one who I work with on sparring and martial arts insanity, and one who is teaching me how to swim competitively. I have a robust list of goals with each of them, and not one of them is body fat related. They are time and distance related in swimming, and force and performance related in martial arts. Fat loss is a happy side effect, but not my core goal.

Given that my own goals are not appearance driven, I don't give a flying **** what my trainer looks like. Can he or she help me accomplish my goals? Yes? Open to working with a neurotic, internally driven, overly analytical client? Yes? Hired.

That said, my swim coach looks incredible in a swimsuit. I really like the sessions when he is in the pool with me.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Besides longevity and health, I suspect that my expanding waistline was starting to hurt my business. It isn't that being a little pudgy is disqualifying for a lawyer. If it were, 90% of lawyers would be out of business.
    The hard truth is that "sex sells," regardless of anyone's morality-based delusions. It has been proven through course of multiple studies... attractive people get more opportunities... better jobs, better sales, more promotions, etc.

And you know better than anyone... when you weigh the potential credibility and "likeability" of a witness on the stand, how they "look" is a HUGE factor in your decision... and the prosecution's decision as well.

True, though I am usually more worried about how my clients look to the jury. I do a lot of criminal defense and some of my clients are a bit rough around the edges.

As for sex sells, in the legal profession, I would say sort kinda. Every trial lawyer needs to develop his or her own persona. I have seen old lawyers be very effective (can seem more grandfatherly, not a slick trial lawyer), middle aged female lawyers (the toughest prosecutor I ever went up against is a 50 ish female DA, looks and talks like a schoolteacher. Prosecutes sexual assault cases. BTW, she isn''t sexy at all, but has a way of winning over juries, and annoying defense attorneys). Very young attorneys can sometimes get sympathy from the jury as well. Some guys can pull off the fat, disheveled look. One of the top defense lawyers in my state is just that. Both extremely fat, and disheveled, looks perpetually hung over. Just saw him at the grocery store the other day and noticed how out of shape he is. lol Somehow it works for him. That being said, that doesn't work for me.
  • rodneyderrick
    Options
    I don't work as a nutritionist, but I've taught kids nutrition and do work with healthy eating and gardening. I'm not really noticeably chubby but my weight has fluctuated through the years. I don't think my weight affected my ability to teach and promote healthy eating habits at all. In fact, I think it made me easier to relate to!

I could talk about the portion sizes I ate growing up or having a diabetic mother. How well would some skinny white girl who'd always been naturally thin and pranced around in yoga pants relate to women in the low-income African-American community, 85% of which are overweight or obese? It was hard enough relating on a race level, but I think my struggles with food made me a lot easier to talk to.

Then again, I've never had an issue eating my veggies and grew up in a hippie dippie household where quinoa was preferred to mac n' cheese. I just come from a family of eaters and grew up loving food. And I know a lot about nutrition because of that. There's no hypocrisy in my talking about nutrition. I know what I'm talking about and I actively try to eat healthfully.

I think if you judge based on the exterior, you miss out on what a person has to offer. I think most people on this site should have realized that by now!!! Come on, guys!

Why are 85% of African Americans obese?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

There's a difference between judging someone's worth as a human being based on appearance and their value as an expert in a fitness and health related field based on their appearance. The latter is relevant, the former is not.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never come across an overweight nutritionist, they are normally skinny rails that have never experienced a weight problem (Which I find annoying, I think the BEST nutritionist would be someone who was formally overweight).

I have never seen a chubby trainer either. I had a personal trainer that was slightly thicker and athletically built, but she was hard and fit. I have seen some chubby Zumba instructors which kind of threw me off, BUT...they had a ton of energy and gave the class a really great workout. I think a nutritionist should be fit because it is hard to take someone's advice that is overweight currently.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Why are 85% of African Americans obese?

82.1% of African American women are either overweight or obese. Probably due to socio-economic and cultural factors, but I'm not the authority on that, so it's just a guess.

See statistic here: http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/obesity-in-the-us/