Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I think if you judge based on the exterior, you miss out on what a person has to offer. I think most people on this site should have realized that by now!!! Come on, guys!

There's a difference between judging someone's worth as a human being based on appearance and their value as an expert in a fitness and health related field based on their appearance. The latter is relevant, the former is not.

I think it applies to all levels. Knowledge and implementation are not the same thing. Just as chubby and unhealthy are also not the same thing. Some people like their curves. Some men/women are more attracted to people with more weight. You can never fully judge by the external.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I think if you judge based on the exterior, you miss out on what a person has to offer. I think most people on this site should have realized that by now!!! Come on, guys!

There's a difference between judging someone's worth as a human being based on appearance and their value as an expert in a fitness and health related field based on their appearance. The latter is relevant, the former is not.

I think it applies to all levels. Knowledge and implementation are not the same thing. Just as chubby and unhealthy are also not the same thing. Some people like their curves. Some men/women are more attracted to people with more weight. You can never fully judge by the external.

Thanks for the info.
  • c2h5m8h6
    c2h5m8h6 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am also baffled by this same thing I have monthly check ins at the drs and my weight management nurse is not far off my own weight she tells me what to eat how to lose weight and shouts at me for not doing as im told but obvisously she doesnt take her own advice lol
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For m it's not the cover of a boOk. If I know your and you know what you're talking about I'll hire you. Now if you don't look the party my question is" if you can't motivate yourself how are you ginna motivate me?" no matter how knowledgable you are if you don't have the drive or push that I require then youre just not the trainer for me. But if your are chubby and have all the above I'll hire you anyways.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

I guess, for me, it boils down to something along the lines of in a field where the end game is based on visual aesthetics, it would be important that they practice what they preach if they want my business.

Is that what hiring a personal trainer or dietician is all about, or is looking better just icing on the cake, so to speak?

Count me among those who say, "it depends on how chubby." Honestly, there are a few personal trainers, both female and male, that look like they could be professional bodybuilders. While I respect the dedication of a person who pushes his or her physique (and who is blessed with good genetics), I don't necessarily believe that such a physique automatically means they know what they are talking about when it comes to nutrition or personal training. And, just looking young and fit also doesn't mean all that much. So is being a bit chubby disqualifying? Not necessarily.

I am not a personal trainer, or nutritionist. But having been through this whole weight loss thing a number of times, I might know more than a person who "looks the part" but is, in fact, just blessed with good genetics, and youth. Over the years, I have been in shape, and I have been out of shape. I have spent years eating healthy, and years eating less healthy. The thing is, even when I am in shape, BMI suggests I am still "overweight". True story. Back in the early 90s, I was visiting a old friend and his brother, who was just out of high school. I was fit, but still chubby, probably weighing around 220 or 225. Anyhow, I played tennis with my friend and his brother and to his brother's surprise, ran him ragged on the court. Later, feeling embarrased, the brother challenged me to a push up contest since he didn't believe that I lifted weights 4 to 6 days a week. (He was kind of young, I know) So I said sure. Though he was younger and leaner, I still doubled the number of pushups he did. So though he looked the part, I was actually much fitter.

Interesting that you quoted that particular part of my post above, but selectively left out this part of it:

Now, agreed that a thin and apparently fit nutritionist could be eating everything under the sun and just be genetically blessed so in that case, my argument goes out the window.

CONSPIRACY!

LOL!

The thing is, how do I know that a chubby nutritionist and trainer aren't following their own advice and yet they're still chubby? Do I really want to invest time and money working with them to find out that they are out of shape/overweight because they don't really know what they're taking about? Not really. If I had all the answers and knew whether or not they knew what they were talking about, I wouldn't need them in the first place.

I get the issue another poster talked about with the older gentleman who was in great shape back in the day and has a ton of knowledge to pass on, but now due to age and/or injury is out of shape. I certainly see that as plausible. And maybe it's judgmental of me but I'd be more inclined to take that into consideration than I would a more youthful nutritionist or trainer that is out of shape.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    No. Just because they HAVE knowledge, doesn't mean they'll ACT on it.

Their personal eating habits do not, in any way, negate what knowledge they have about healthy eating.

Stop judging the book by it's cover and just read the damn pages already.
  • Infauna
    Infauna Posts: 89
    Options
    I would definitely have a problem taking advice from someone who did not look like they were fit and healthy. Same thing with a law professional...you at least want someone who looks like they know what they're doing.
  • linzisparkles
    linzisparkles Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I joined a bootcamp class at one point and the trainer was on the heavier side. I thought the same thing as most of you but I found out a few classes in that she had lost 75 pounds and was still working on the rest.
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You do have issues, but let me tell you, since I was (now retired for 1 month) a flabby fitness coach
    I know a little bit about what you're talking of.

I am very healthy and have been fighting a weight problem for years. I started working in a fitness position
    at age 50 and am in the the best shape I ever was even though I am 50 lbs overweight.

I am working on it and even though retired still am working out 5 days a week and lifting weights.
    Since I started Myfitnesspal in Aug. I've lost 10 lbs. and bit of tummy. It's progress. I'm not giving up.
    My knees aren't happy and that's been one of my wake up calls.

My students/ class members were not Sally Size 2.. They were mature adults and many over
    weight and out of shape. I also worked at the Y for many years and there were several overweight
    trainers there too. The people who attend classes at the Y and parks & rec are usually a bit
    more ordinary than most gym rats. But they realize they need to do something and they are.
    I taught arthritis classes, aerobics classes, step classes, water classes, Silver Sneakers classes,
    strength training and outdoor fitness classes. I wanted to make it fun to work out so people would
    WANT to work out. We laughed and we exercised and we enjoyed it. If it's not fun people stop
    doing it.

But you know, the AVERAGE JOE and JOSEPHINE liked me/us because we were HUMAN like they
    were. We showed them that could be working toward better health and it didn't start from size 2.
    It started when we got bigger than we liked and decided to do something about it. A perfectly toned
    trainer can be intimidating to many people because they seem to be something unattainable to
    themselves. Someone like me was in the same boat as they were and if I could do it so could they!

Despoite from my weight, I should live to be 90, probably 100 if I lose the pounds. So while it seems
    to be an oxymoron to have an overweight trainer, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't know any
    thing. It just means they either aren't doing what they should or haven't gotten there YET. My brain
    has a lot of info that can help people and I can do things they can't so they see I have value.

So be patient with us and don't be a health SNOB. We are all on the road to road to better health.
    Some started later than sooner is all. Try to see inside us if you can. I won't give up on you because
    of your attitude if you won't give up on me, okay?

Donna
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I woud not go to a dentist with bad teeth, a nutritionist who is not healthy/ in shape or hair stylist with a hack job for hair ever.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My level of respect for a nutritionist or a trainer is based upon their education, knowledge and how they are able to help me reach my goals. My willingness to listen to said trainer/nutritionist is based upon the level of respect they show me and others in performing their professional responsibiltiies. So, it has very little to do with their physical appearance. This is true of a lawyer, a doctor, librarian, cell phone dude, etc.

But, I get your point on first impressions--I guess I've just learned over time they truly do not mean much.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    A chubby/fat trainer or nutritionist will not be getting business from me anytime soon.
  • CressidaJL
    CressidaJL Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can understand not trusting a personal trainer who was overweight, but a nutritionist doesn't lose her education by piling on the lbs, so I would have absolutely no problem there at all.

It's also worth mentioning that there are doctors who smoke, paramedics (eg) who refuse to go to the GP when there's something clearly wrong, gardeners who have awful gardens themselves... the list goes on.

Personally, I would never trust a skinny chef. ;)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It depends a bit. If he/she was 70-80+ pounds overweight, yeah, I'd have a problem with it. It'd be hard to take someone that much out-of-shape seriously as a trainer. BUT, on the other hand, I took belly dancing lessons once with a lady who was a fantastic dancer but she was not what you would call skinny. She was quite solidly built but despite that an excellent trainer/ dancer. So just because somebody looks big doesn't mean they're not in good shape. Sometimes that's just their body type. I think I'd want to see them in action before making a final decision.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would never trust a skinny chef. ;)
    Being a good chef has no correlation to their weight... just because chefs can cook, doesn't mean they gorge on their food, smh.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm their biggest cheerleader... (though I do look a bit odd in a skirt and pigtails).

... was that your halloween costume??
    No. Bane. I'll have pics shortly.

Nice! I want to see that.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Chubbiness doesn't mean unhealthiness.
    Yeah... yeah.. it kinda does.

No it does not. Just because a person is a little chubby doesn't mean they're unhealthy. There are a lot of factors involved in a person's health.

I'm chubby and I am not unhealthy.

My doctor just said I swallowed a lot of aggression, along with a lot of pizzas. Ha! Pizzas. Well, I was going to try one of those fitness camps, like EST. But they are like $400. So I thought.... join the Army. It's free. And what do they got, like an 8 week progam, which is PERFECT for me......
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

An actor can act whether fat or skinny, but we all prefer to look at skinny people in movies. It has no bearing on their performance at all. But, we, in general, prefer the skinny actors.

You're absolutely right. I think it's only a matter of time before Melissa McCarthy loses weight. They all do in the end.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I believe that if they can do their job well then they can look how they want. It is a little hypocritical but you should get to know a person before you judge their capability or at least that's my opinion! :)
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I feel you are wrong. This comment is addressed only to the person who started this thread...

Simply, because it is possible to be chubby and be doing the right things as far as healthy choices are concerned.

Not everyone can be as twin as I am... I do not want that... I say this because everyday I have to fight the urge to take diet pills, throw up, and starve myself to death... So far I have not given in to those thoughts. I maintain my weight at between 175 to 180 pounds. Did you know that anorexia is just as dangerous if not more dangerous than being obese?

Besides, women should not be made to feel ashamed about having curves...