Protein Bars

Options
124»

Replies

• damore76
    damore76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am not necessarily looking to overdo protein because I do not want to bulk up, but I do like to have it in my diet. For breakfast every morning I have Luna nutrition bar. The bars do not overdo the protein, but offer about 18% of my daily intake. They taste good, too. My favorite flavors are: chocolate dipped coconut, honey pretzel, smores, and iced oatmeal raisin.

Unless you are pushing some SERIOUS weight in the gym and doing 'roids, you will NOT bulk up. :wink:

I am not saying protein is not a good thing, it is. It is just that there are a lot of foods we eat every day that have good amounts of protein so I do not really look for a ton of it in bars. The 18% I get from luna bars is about 1/2 of what I need to be on target with a good amount for weight loss. In an article I read protein only has to be increased to about 30% of an individuals daily calories to offer a weight loss and low appetite benefit.

Many foods have protein too and lots of it, such as: chicken, eggs, cheese, nuts, and beans. Therefore, I personally do not feel the need to overdo it. Here is a great article that I found that highlights the benefits of a regulated amount of protein in the diet: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss

A lot of times I believe we just do not realize how much protein is in the foods we eat. I was extremely surprised to learn how much was in certain foods when I started tracking on MFP.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I only make homemade protein bars -- and I HAVE to make them because my 4 kids are very picky vegetarians with gluten/dairy allergies, so I have to get protein into them somehow! :-)

I love the NoMeatAthlete.com recipe template because you can mix-and-match ingredients to change up the flavors. Here ya go:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/

I use chickpeas, bananas, almond butter, cinnamon, vanilla, Rice Krispies, quinoa flour, and chocolate chips. I also add in a tbsp each of chia seeds, raw cacao powder and maca powder for good measure! My kids LOVE these bars! They call them "cookie bars" and I put them in their lunch every day.

Love this! Thanks for posting!
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat the Pure Protein High Protein Bars. They have several different flavors, and have 20g of protein, 0g trans fat, and only 2g of sugar. They really keep me going between meals.

I reccomend these as well, the price is right as well
  • HarlowAudrey
    Options
    Quest are my favourite.. NO SUGAR ALCOHOLS!!!

I just ordered two boxes - Strawberry Cheesecake & Cashew and Coconut.
  • CrystalOrganic
    Options
    If you're looking for a good bar to replace a Meal, try the SUPREME PROTEIN bars! They have low net carbs, hardly any sugars, and each flavor is Delicious. 390-410 calories, however, and intended to replace a meal! If you want something more like a snack-time bar, Zone Perfect is great, as are the Atkins Bars!