WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• deejayy
    deejayy Posts: 7
    Options
    hi folks

Went for a long (for me) walk with two friends yesterday. Would never have happened except that it was "scheduled" and no one wanted to let the others down. :heart: It feels like a great accomplishment! This afternoon I hope to fit in an hour or so of yoga, something I've always loved to do. I'm also doing my best to log meals / snacks. Is helping to increase my "awareness".
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Auntiebk: The big 60 happens on the 21st of this month - I like your sister's comment :happy: There are a lot of pet pics on this site - I just love seeing everyone's "furry" children. My two cockers are Finnegan (on the left) and Willow aka The Princess (on the right). I volunteer with a Cocker Spaniel rescue group in the DC area and ended up adopting these two. We had three until last spring when our sweet Shelby went to heaven. We do a lot of fostering and transporting around the region. Thank goodness my two are very understanding of canine visitors.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    ...SuzyQ I too have trouble exercising when DH is in the house. He pops his head around the corner and sometimes mimics what I'm doing. Know he's trying to make me laugh and lighten up... BUT...sometimes its doggone irritating :angry:
    How's your size 10 coming? I've lost 10 pounds and am still wearing 16W pants and 18P shirts. :explode:
    Doggoned frustrating....

My clothes are fitting better, but won't do an official weigh n measure until Monday. I've been putting everything I've got into cardio and got a new abs/ core DVD by Leslie Sansone that uses a stability ball.. I've never used one before, so this should be interesting. And I'm feeling soreness in places I didn't before, so we'll see.... I've NEVER worked so hard to look good in my entire life!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how slowly progress happens... at least for me. It has taken me 54 weeks to lose 36 pounds and go from a size 18 to a 12. I'm hoping to blast the last 20 lbs off riding my bike when warm weather gets here to stay. I'm determined to get these buldges and rolls gone no matter if it takes all summer long! Can I make a 10 by Easter? Hope so!!!!

Staying within calories comes at a price, but one I'm willing to pay. I skipped our church potluck last night and ate an apple with peanut butter at home instead. Then last night when hubby was snacking on popcorn and ice cream bars, I drank a cup of Sensible Sweets hot chocolate (only 35 calories). I also got some sugar-free jello (10 calories) for such a time as this. Hubby is working days so its alot easier for me to eat healthy this week. I'm beginning to notice how not resting well effects my appetite and ability to lose when he works nights.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Good evening everyone ... Hope all of you that were feeling under the weather have taken all the "paramedics" prescribed and are now feeling better! :bigsmile: Belated Birthday wishes to all the Birthday girls .... :flowerforyou: Where do you get those lovely Graphics Alice?
    To those of you that are so buoyed up and enthusiastic about the new slenderer you ... :wink: You know who you are ...especially Debbie!!...............:drinker: .Please "Bottle It" and put it on E.Bay!! for everyone to buy!!

:ohwell: Boring and quiet day today. Work, no calamities, shopping for food ...so depressing when the prices are just going up and up!...
    Peter's off to work and TV is all that beckons!! I've been good today and so far this evening too. Chocolate monster has been appeased with Chocolate Options drink - 37 cals. I'm within the calorie count for today ( not using the cleaning). Maybe...just maybe ... I'll "Do" my Latino Tone work out.

:smile: We did manage the Salsa DVD yesterday and it was good. We turned the heating off so that we didn't have to strip off .... Couldn't subject the cats to that spectacle could we!!! Hopefully ...:blushing: we'll get the thermostat fixed tomorrow.

So .... Bye for now ... Have a good evening all and speak to you again tomorrow.
    :drinker: It'll be Friday and the weekend starts there!!
    xxxJackie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Today is my late day for work, so I am on here before I go, should be getting ready, but, I decided to stop in here first and catch up.

Spaniel--

Forgot to welcome you in my last post--so WELCOME!! I plead disability, read below for my answer to Barbara/AKA Auntiebk for an explanation. Love your pics. Besides being the over 50 women's thread, this place sometimes doubles as "Doggies R Us"--:laugh: :laugh: There are a few cats around too, but we don't hear as much about them. When you sleep 15 hours a day, you don't have time to create as much havoc as pesky little doggies:bigsmile:

ProfanJ--Welcome also. You will grow to love this group. And it keeps getting bigger every day.

Kath(plantlady)--

I am glad you got some time for you. Anxiety is no joke. I am all too familiar with it. I have been trying to keep mine in line by not committing to as much as I used to, and not overdoing it on my days off. Take care of yourself. I am glad your sister stepped in to give you a break. Don't let DH get you down. He may have something going on in his head that he hasn't expressed. Men seem to be good at making their problem YOUR problem without letting you in on the fact that there IS a problem. It's that recessive communication gene they have. It resides next to the recessive shopping gene (I used to tease my hubby (now ex- so we get along great:bigsmile: ) about that.

Here is a funny about the dentist that happened to me. Back when cell phones were just starting to be smaller and more common, I was at the dentist, and as he was drilling away, I could hear another noise. He was standing in such a way that I realized whatever I was hearing was in his pocket!! So I raised my hand to stop the drilling and told him "Should I be concerned that your pants are ringing?" We both had a good laugh, and he told his wife he would call her back when he was finished!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

aissar--

Welcome back. Haven't seen you much lately. I discovered the Wii is a real workout when I did my first encounter with it, a bowling and golf marathon. Only problem is I found that I bowl better after drinking beer in a virtual bowling environment, just like in a bowling alley. Since we didn't have any "virtual" beer, I only have experience with the real thing!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Alice-

Love your cow on a bicycle.

Terri--

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

kackie--

Welcome to the thread. Your yoga question was answered by a previous poster. Good luck in your journey.

Kathy(pmjs)--

I will send you a PM when I have more info on my plans. I can't remember if you have doggies or not. If you do, you probably know some doggie friendly places in your area, if not, let me know and I will do some googling for doggie parks in your area. If the weather cooperates, that might be a good option, if it doesn't work for me to visit you where you live.

Barbara(Auntiebk)

To answer your questions. I fell in January, did a face plant in a wet parking lot, ended up in the hospital for a few hours, got a concussion and have been dealing with the after effects. I posted a story in the January thread about my experience. If anyone wants to go back to find it, you can click on the number of posts below my avatar and it will bring up all my posts from most recent on back. My accident happened on Jan 24th, so look for something within a day or two of that date.

My B-Day is April 6th. I have had my Gazelle for a couple of years, but have been using it regularly for the last couple of months because of the weather not being conducive to outdoor walking. Right now it works especially well because I don't have to worry about my balance, which has been a problem since my head injury. It is getting better. I also like that for the same amount of time on the Gazelle, I can burn way more calories than I do walking.

Laura, I am sorry to say that our mothers seem to get more "mule"-ee" as they get older. Therefore, anyone who wants them to do something that is good for them but that is contrary to their wishes is "mean":ohwell: :bigsmile:

I hope she progresses from the PT and learns that effort = success.

I am REALLY past the time I should have started getting ready for work, so bye for now.

Barb
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Barbara and Kathy: Thank you for your help on how to calibrate Yoga into my exercise log! I appreciate you taking the time to help a newcomer!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,373 Member
    Options
    welcome keewee! You'll get lots of support here. Boy, I can't keep up with all the new people! Welcome everyone! Constance - don't worry about age -- it's only a number, that's all. We're so glad to have you with us. Hi Kackie

thanks, Barb for the explanation of logging in.

Does anyone have a WiiFit? I have My Fitness Coach. Some days I'll do the yoga on there. One thing I've found is that the "trainer" gives you the instructions for a certain series of moves once and then you are to do them yourself the next couple of times. Honestly, I can't remember the exact sequence. Is there any way to change a setting or something so that she will give instructions all the time rather than just the once?

I bought two of those Yoplait smoothies. I was really disappointed.:grumble: I was of the opinion that it was the entire smoothie already premade. What it is, essentially, is just frozen fruit. $3 for some fruit, when I can get it lots cheaper? I don't think so.

SuzyQ - I'm thinking that I can probably do those LS walking tapes on a rebounder -- what do you think? Next step will be for me to get a rebounder.

Well, it's Tuesday. I was going to do this one Biggest Loser DVD, but there was a problem with it in my DVD player so I opted to do all the workouts on the 30day Shred DVD. I did skip past the cooldown. Tomorrow I'll take the deep water class.

According to the Wii, my BMI has gone down from 24 to the high 23's. Hope it stays this way!

Good for you Debbi - changing up your workouts. Gotta keep those muscles guessing what we'll do next, eh???

Terri - I was just about to say the same thing to DeeJayy! Thanks for taking care of it for me

auntibk - the first time I did Lion's pose, I thought I would never stop laughing! But it IS very effective.

Vicki - I hate it when the restaurant lists something on their website that I want, but when I get to the restaurant they don't have that item. AHHHHH

It's now Wednesday, did 1 hr deep water workout. Tomorrow I think I'll do a burn & firm DVD at home, just not sure if I should do it for the 45 minutes or try for the double workout which is something like 77 minutes.

Well, it's now Thursday. I did the DVD for 77 minutes. The double workout is really just the 45 minute workout repeated (minus the abs and cooldown until you get to the end of the 77 minute workout). Then we went out to lunch with this group of ours. I think I was pretty good. I ordered the grilled salmon and I even brought in some containers with me and took half of it home. I also got the steamed vegetables and instead of the rice I got an extra order of the steamed vegetables which I brought home. Now this is a heavily mediterranean restaurant so the vegetables had a lot of garlic on them. They also had some oil, which I'm going to assume is olive oil since they have such a heavy mediterranean influence. I also got a salad. I asked tfor the dressing on the side, but you really didn't need any dressing. It seems like they put some oil on it and spices.

Nighttime snacking is my downfall, too. Right now I'm trying making a blanket and watching TV after dinner. No matter what I do, if I eat late in the day, I ALWAYS, without fail, will show a gain the next day.

Laura - so glad Gerald's shot worked! I've been keeping up with this. What good news! My MIL used to scream that the nurses and PT people were "killing" her. I know that all's they wanted was to help her. Yup, maybe it has something to do with being in the 80's

Birdie - that's great that your clothes are so large now. I just donate my clothes away, don't even want a reminder in the house. Maybe you can cut some of the shoulderpads out of the clothes.

I'm thinking that I'll do one of my spinning downloadable workouts tomorrow.

Michele
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    :love: :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. What a wonderful day I am having and enjoying everyone's posts and well wishes. Alice--I LOVE the cow on the bicycle!! thank you!! :blushing:

A friend gave me a birthday card yesterday that said to have a "diet free birthday". I haven't totally pitched it but I have allowed a few more calories today, so far, than normal. I have all these words like "it so wasn't worth it" ringing in my head. So I made a very low fat (almost fat free, really) blueberry buttermilk coffeecake for breakfast, had roast chicken salad in a sun dried tomato flat out (yummy) and baby carrots. We are going mexican tonight but I have my mind made up on the vegetarian Baja Burrito (rice and beans in a flour tortilla) that I love but is a few more calories than I usually like to have. I, however, replace the refried beans and rice that they serve with it with a salad as I find the burrito already has more than enough rice & beans!!

I've spent my day baking a coffeecake for my own breakfast...hubby already at work, went to bible study, stopped by my sister's for coffee and a visit, swung by the Family Christian Bookstore where I've been meaning to go FOREVER and bought some stuff to remember friends birthdays and a new study guide bible in the NLT translation. Talk about spoiling oneself on her birthday!

So, anyway. That you everyone for the wishes. Louise and Barb hope you both had wonderful birthdays!!. I haven't been on since late Tuesday, but then as all my family and friends will tell you...I'm nothing, if I'm not late!

Lynn, I too love to eat out. I am doing better at asking for a box and bringing half of it home, so it's not quite so devastating as it used to be. Hope everyone is having a good day! :heart: Terri:heart:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Me again... I thought I'd share this weightloss story with you. I know it's not specifically for ladies but here it is....

"WONDER WEIGHTLOSS FOR YOU" ....... Want to lose weight? Ring now!!

A guy calls a company and orders their 5-day, 10 lb. weight loss program..

The next day, there's a knock on the door and there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign around her neck.

She introduces herself as a representative of the weightloss company. The sign reads, 'If you can catch me,you can have me.'
    Without a second thought, he takes off after her. A few miles later huffing and puffing, he finally gives up..

The same girl shows up for the next four days and the same thing happens.

On the fifth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10 lbs. as promised.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/20 pound program.

The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life.. She is wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, 'If you catch me you can have me'.

Well, he's out the door after her like a shot. This girl is in excellent shape and he does his best, but no such luck. So for the next four days, the same routine happens with him gradually getting in better and better shape, much to his delight on the fifth day when he weighs himself, he discovers that he has lost another 20 lbs. as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50 pound program

'Are you sure?' asks the representative on the phone...

'This is our most rigorous program.'
    'Absolutely,' he replies, 'I haven't felt this good in years.'

The next day there's a knock at the door; and when he opens it he finds a huge muscular guy standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, 'If I catch you, you're mine.'

He lost 63 pounds that week.

Have a good night now!!
    Jackie:bigsmile:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    ...SuzyQ I too have trouble exercising when DH is in the house. He pops his head around the corner and sometimes mimics what I'm doing. Know he's trying to make me laugh and lighten up... BUT...sometimes its doggone irritating :angry:
    How's your size 10 coming? I've lost 10 pounds and am still wearing 16W pants and 18P shirts. :explode:
    Doggoned frustrating....

My clothes are fitting better, but won't do an official weigh n measure until Monday. I've been putting everything I've got into cardio and got a new abs/ core DVD by Leslie Sansone that uses a stability ball.. I've never used one before, so this should be interesting. And I'm feeling soreness in places I didn't before, so we'll see.... I've NEVER worked so hard to look good in my entire life!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how slowly progress happens... at least for me. It has taken me 54 weeks to lose 36 pounds and go from a size 18 to a 12. I'm hoping to blast the last 20 lbs off riding my bike when warm weather gets here to stay. I'm determined to get these buldges and rolls gone no matter if it takes all summer long! Can I make a 10 by Easter? Hope so!!!!

Staying within calories comes at a price, but one I'm willing to pay. I skipped our church potluck last night and ate an apple with peanut butter at home instead. Then last night when hubby was snacking on popcorn and ice cream bars, I drank a cup of Sensible Sweets hot chocolate (only 35 calories). I also got some sugar-free jello (10 calories) for such a time as this. Hubby is working days so its alot easier for me to eat healthy this week. I'm beginning to notice how not resting well effects my appetite and ability to lose when he works nights.

Wow - you''ve done amazing. I need 1/10th of your motivation. I still have the extra 2 on me from the cruise
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Birdie!!! You are a total inspiration!!! I can picture exactly what you said about the clothes from last year . . way too big, and then older clothes that are way out of style!!!! You are amazing! Usually cutting out the shoulder pads just leaves a weird looking garment. I say you deserve to splurge a little on something that is just your new size, and your new style!
    Yesterday I took the weights up quite a bit (trainer says it’s time) . . . so I leg pressed something like 130 pounds! :noway: I do upper body one day, then lower body the next. Then a rest day from weights, then repeat of day one and two. I try to do cardio everyday. I’ve been running on a treadmill and alternating that with walking, but I don’t like it much. I like the elliptical, but I’m anxious to be outside more than anything!! Weather in SE Washington State was glorious and sunny today, so I’m hoping for more of the same over the weekend. I seem to struggle on the weekends to exercise? Have a great rest of the week . . I’m trying to focus mentally on my goals!!!:happy:
    143992.png
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi All,

Well my crazy diet exercise plan has worked I weighted this morning and the plateau has been broken yahooooooo!!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kathy I am so sorry you are so stressed I totally understand as my parents have had one illness after another. I also had to go on some medicine to help with my stress and anxiety. Please take care of your self and take time for your self and your hubby the last thing you need is to get ill then you will not be able to help your parents.:flowerforyou:

Projan6 I also find I want to snack in the evening with the new diet for 2 weeks only I have added a protein shake before bed it is really helping me and I lost weight this week which is always the goal. So I suggest you find a snack that want up your calories to much and will satisfy your bedtime hunger.:flowerforyou:

Birdie so glad you are on the mend. I chuckled when you said you tried on things from 17 years ago I am so obsessive compulsive I have a hard time not throwing things out when I lose weight I throw it out when I gain weight I throw the skinny clothes out throwing out the skinny clothes depresses me throwing out the fat clothes makes me happy. I am one really crazy lady.

Have a great night every one.

Lynn
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Oh Jackie, I laughed and laughed at your joke about the diet company. Have a good evening, everyone!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Jackie

Just had to get on here to tell you your story about the weight loss "program" was "HILL AIR EEE OUS"!!!ROFLMAO*:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(*for anyone who isn't familiar with internet shorthand, this stands for "rolling on floor laughing my *kitten* off":bigsmile: )

I have to start work earlier than usual tomorrow, so no posting for me tonight. Maybe not again 'til Saturday night or Sunday.

Keep well everyone.

Barb
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I have to agree - that was one funny joke.I laughed out loud. Good exercise!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

Thanks Jackie for the LOL!

This is a quick check in for me. I'm going to get my exercise in first thing and then it's off to the races! Errands to do and then I really need to go and visit with my Mother. I may even spend the night if Son will agree to taking care of Granny.

BBL

Cindy
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! Day 5 and feeling really good. And SusieQ, your quote on your post is the BEST!!! Also, the vision of Birdie tossing out clothes that are TOO BIG is also a great visual inspiration! I have to spend some time playing with the site so that I can post my "progress bar" & goals on my posts too. So much to learn...
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    I hope you are all doing well today. Well I know that most of you will understand what I am about to write. I weighed in today. First time in about 2 weeks since coming back from vacation. I lost 5 pounds. I am very excited about that. At the same time a little disappoint. I knew better but kind of wanted biggest loser numbers. I lost the weight from vacation which is wonderful. I still am not back at my ticker weight since holidays. that weight is next. I gained 5 in a week and it has taken me nearly 2 to lose. go figure. I know they say it is calories in vs calories out. I truly believe that but it is very hard for me to believe that I ate over 15000 caloires in a week to gain. guess that is why we have to keep tracking our food. anyway I am losing again even if same weight I already lost. I will keep on track and have another lose next week. Have a good day ladies.
    Vicki M
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon Ladies ...... It's Friday and I'm hoping to have a good weekend - hope you will too. Plans are to do the housework on Saturday and on Sunday.. a family lunch for my son and co. then ...:happy: in the afternoon we're taking the grandkids off to the pictures to see the new Alice in Wonderland film. Son and DIL will sit with mum while we're out. I'm really looking forward to that.

So far today I've been good.:smile: I've planned the food, filled in the diary, worked 3 hours cleaning.:frown: I didn't get to do my Latino Tone last night as mum was watching TV with me. In a minute I'll try and get Peter to do some Salsa .... now the heating has been fixed!!!!
    I was well within my calories and should be the same today. Scales were good too ... I can't get out of the habit of weighing daily, first thing with nothing on ... and I'm back to where I was 4lb lost. I know that if I can keep on the straight and narrow all weekend I should lose again.:drinker: So .... Exercise, Log and Stick to the Plan...Exercise, Log and Stick to the Plan .....Exercise, Log and Stick to the Plan!!!!

Must go now and get dancing . Then I'll start to get tea. Mum will be home from her Day Centre soon and normal service will be resumed!!

:laugh: Have a good evening everybody and be happy.
    Jackie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    :sad: Disappointing weigh in day for me too, down a crummy .2 lb. This from NO BEER Mon-Thurs, staying w/in calories on average over the week, dancing 3 nights a week and getting some kind of exercise for at least 40 minutes every day.:explode:
    Suffering from an attack of the MayAsWells:drinker: . Good thing beer doesn't appeal at 7:23 in the morning!

BirdieM welcome back and WOW to have clothes from last summer be so way too big, What an inspiration!:

deejayy congratulations on your long walk. It IS a great accomplishment to get out and get moving. Well done!heart:

Spaniel Bless you for the work you do. We got our Dixie from the national SCWT breed rescue group. His excellency the General came from a local Mini Schnauzer (and related mixes) rescuer. Robby was E A S Y. We bonded at once over chedder cheese at the chopping block. He was completely silent (think someone had him on a bark collar) unti DH taught him how to bark again... Thanks Joe! :tongue: Dixie was another story completely :noway: and its a long one so I'll save it for another time and just say that it took over a year and a near divorce ;}

Jackie Your weight loss story made me snort my sleepytime tea last night:laugh: and sent me to bed laughing. Thanks! and Yes order me a case of those enthusiasm bottles. Those gals have ENERGY! Happy to hear the thermostat's fixed, but you in The Isles keep your homes too darned cold for my taste.

SuzyQ From an 18 to a 12? WOW! Even though my goal is a size 10 I can't really even imagine ever going down even one a size much less 4! What an inspiration you are!:flowerforyou:

Barb, Thanks for pointing me back. Didn't always read faithfully at first, will go back for the details. Gazelle: "...don't have to worry about my balance... also like that for the same amount of time on the Gazelle, I can burn way more calories than I do walking. " Sounds great! For some reason the Gazelle ads were the only fitness equipment that ever appealed. I'll watch Craigslist for a used one. Mule-ee, boy that describes it. In Mama's last years any thought that entered her head came out her mouth, entirely, tactlessly, unedited and unrestrained. Wow.:frown:

Michele EXERmom is sure truth-in-advertising! ALL the workouts on the 30day Shred? Double Biggest loser DVD workouts? 1 hr deep water??? I just shake my head reading about Your and Brady's and MacMadame's and Debbie's exercise adventures. Incomprehensible to lifelong couchpotatoeme. Lion pose induced laugher? Maybe that's what cures our colds :bigsmile: BMI in the high 23s? I weep with jealousy. If I EVER break out of the low 30s (in the right direction of course) I'll burst with joy!

Cindy Have a good visit with your Mom. Does she need care too or can you relax a bit from all your MIL:brokenheart: cares?

Lynne Congrats on blasting that plateau! Must feel awesome.:huh:

VickiM, isn't it all about perception? You lost 5 pounds coming off from vacation. Let me say it again. YOU TOOK OFF 5 POUNDS while on vacation. Thats a WONDERFUL accomplishment. 2.5 pounds per week! I can't even take of a silly half pound. I'm so jealous. Know what you mean, while it is calories in vs out over the long run, it is hard to believe the short run fluctuations. There must be other factors involved. Someone has mentiond water but there has to be more to it than that... doesn't there?:huh:

Well now I feel a little better, and will go hop on the wii to make myself feel much better. Lunchwalk today but no dancing tonight, instead a dinner out with a galfriend whose b-day is tomorrow. She wants to go to a hawaiian restaurant and I have no clue what healthy choices there will be so its apple and laughing cow for breakfast and soup for lunch ;)

Hugs to all,