bread alternatives

Options

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Lettuce Wraps work for almost anything you'd normally put on bread, even a burger
    Corn tortillas - make sure you heat them in a pan first, even if you let them cool afterwards, it changes the texture and makes them softer
    Egg Crepes (just eggs made like really thin omelet) - Fill with whatever you would normally want on a sandwich. Will likely need to eat with a fork though rather than picking up.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Grains, whole or not, aren't actually required in a healthful diet. You can get all the nutrients you need without them. There's nothing wrong at all with not eating bread.

Very True! And OP, from the sounds of what you are describing in terms of how bread makes you feel, you might have an intollerance to wheat.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I use half a pita for sandwiches now, 40 cals and no bloating or crazy cravings after. I also like Ryvita and Wasa crispbreads.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    High protein oatmeal pancake
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Going to try the cauliflower bread...sounds easy to make & nice alterative! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i wrap my 'sandwiches' in lettuce--my current go-to lunch is turkey, avacado and turkey bacon wrapped in an iceberg lettuce leaf.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I found some almond nut-thins in my local grocery store and they are great to eat with cheese and fruit. If you are going for gluten free these are.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can also try rice paper. You can find it in Asian markets. It's a thin film made out of rice. It's really, really low calorie and like lettuce, easy for sandwiches and wraps and such. If you're really jonesing for that "starchy" taste with lower calories and carbs that might be a good alternative.
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    Grains, whole or not, aren't actually required in a healthful diet. You can get all the nutrients you need without them. There's nothing wrong at all with not eating bread.

Very True! And OP, from the sounds of what you are describing in terms of how bread makes you feel, you might have an intollerance to wheat.

I did wonder that myself, but haven't yet tried giving up all wheat, wanted to just start with bread (baby steps and all that!). I don't eat a lot of pasta but do occasionally indulge in baked goods or crackers which contain wheat. Just giving up the bread has made a big difference, but maybe it would be even better without wheat altogether.
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    You can also try rice paper. You can find it in Asian markets. It's a thin film made out of rice. It's really, really low calorie and like lettuce, easy for sandwiches and wraps and such. If you're really jonesing for that "starchy" taste with lower calories and carbs that might be a good alternative.

I'll have a search for that, thanks. Everybody's mentioning lettuce wraps so I will try that too! Probably one of the least labour intensive of all the bread alternatives mentioned in this thread!
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Orowheat sandwhich thins!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Random thoughts on bread -

it's delicious
    2 slices of bread a day never made anyone fat
    when given the choice of no bread for the rest of my life or bread in moderation - I'll take moderation.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i just eat weight watchers multigrain bread. the slices are super thin (half the thickness of regular bread). it is much lower in cals, fat and carbs than regular bread. i limit myself to 2 slices per day.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    very hard to find bread replacement, i dont think there really is anything, I have been making cauliflower wraps, that seem to help a bit, I have gone paleo, and bread is out

1 cup shredded cauliflower
    1 egg
    1tsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp ground flax

mix together

flatten out into 1/2 inch circle on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
    bake at 425 for 20 min, flip, bake for another 5

makes a good wrap, or can be doubled to make a pizza crust.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Is it bread itself or gluten that you are having issues with? I've tried to eliminate gluten (and dairy) b/d they are both contributors to PMS which is a trigger for migraines (which I suffer from).

I buy gluten free bread Udi's chia bread is great; but I still don't eat a lot of bread

If I want a "sandwich" I either have one made with romaine, red leaf or green leaf lettuce as my "bread" or one slice of glutten free and the other side is lettuce.
    I also eat "sandwiches" with no bread...on a plate (yes, a veggie burger with veggies cheese, tomato & lettuce and eat it with fork) - I'm weird.

I've also used the Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain tortillas (small) as a wrap (this does have gluten, so I don't do this often)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for good bread replacements? Thanks!

If you were using bread for sandwiches then I'd suggest switching to low carb wraps. You can get a big handful of leafy greens, plus other chopped veggies on your sandwich along with the same amount of meat (or whatever you make sandwiches from).
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

I'll have a search for that, thanks. Everybody's mentioning lettuce wraps so I will try that too! Probably one of the least labour intensive of all the bread alternatives mentioned in this thread!

A word of warning re rice paper. You need to soak it in warm water before you can use it to wrap anything, and it can dry out fairly quickly, so when rolled/filed you need to eat it fairly quickly. But it's great filled with things like prawns, vermicilli noodles, grated carrot and fresh herbs, and wrapped up like a spring roll or burrito.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    ezekiel bread?

it doesn't have that same, soft consistency of regular bread which is addicting IMO.

ezekiel is tougher, harder to chew. Doesn't grill up nice for sandwiches but it does the trick for AB & J's as well as bread for breakfast.
  • lmw0752
    Options
    I've used lettuce in place of bread for a lot of things... Get big bib lettuce and make lettuce wraps. You can make an old fashioned sandwich (meat and cheese), or use the lettuce in place of a fajita shell for making asian or mexican inspired letruce wraps. They are delicious and you actually taste a lot more of the filling instead of just bread!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Physical Trainer at the gym recommends bread made from Spelt. There is a health food store near my home that bakes and sells their own bread. They have a spelt option and several others. The store is appropriately named "Our Daily Bread".