bread alternatives

Options
1235»

Replies

• chestnutbrown
    Options
    Google Oopsie Rolls! Follow the instructions to the T, come out great if you do! Flax bread is another alternative. Both are low carb and keto friendly.

Does anybody know what sort of cream cheese to use for Oopsie rolls? can I go for a low fat version or will that not work? Can I use something like Philadelphia that's designed for spreading and therefore quite soft, or do I need to use something like marscapone which is firmer? Or can I go for a really low fat option like Quark or curd cheese?

Any tips gratefully received!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute if you LOVE bread. You change your breads from white to double fiber whole wheat or you can use sandwich thins the two slices have the calories of one slice of bread. But bread in itself is not evil. Actually what one puts between the bread is far worse. Change to a tuna with mustard and romaine lettuce over losing the bread. Bread is good. Bread is yummy. Don't throw the baby out with the water.
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of lettuce wraps. Use a cup-shaped lettuce like iceberg, butter, or Boston. Fill it with whatever you would put between slices of bread, roll it like a wrap, and enjoy!

We use this for tacos; cold cuts and deli salads, when you want to splurge on mayo by sacrificing the starch; and my favorite is to grill a nice fish (i.e. mahi mahi) and eat it on the lettuce with a lime-cilantro avocado relish, grilled pineapple, and sriracha.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Google Oopsie Rolls! Follow the instructions to the T, come out great if you do! Flax bread is another alternative. Both are low carb and keto friendly.

Does anybody know what sort of cream cheese to use for Oopsie rolls? can I go for a low fat version or will that not work? Can I use something like Philadelphia that's designed for spreading and therefore quite soft, or do I need to use something like marscapone which is firmer? Or can I go for a really low fat option like Quark or curd cheese?

Any tips gratefully received!

Regular Philadelphia-style cream cheese, in a block. The Neufchatel 1/3 reduced fat might work, but I haven't tried it. Definitely not low-fat or fat-free. Oopsie rolls require fat, and the recipe I use specifically says the cream cheese should not be softened.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There's two trains of thought in this thread:

1) bread doesn't make you fat so eat it in moderation. Switch to wheat/light and it's healthy.

2) wheat is processed in the body like white and therefore raises blood sugar the same. Whole grain or sprouted or a whole different alternative (wasa crisps, Ezekiel, lettuce, etc) is needed so the body will get rid of the blood sugar raising culprit.

So no, for those of you who feel totally fine with the blood sugar highs and lows of consuming high GI foods like wheat flour, white flour, white potatoes, pasta, pastries, etc, then option 1 is perfect for you. But many many of us have discovered that blood sugar crashes or highs and lows are bad for us. Or we've switched to a way of eating that has eliminated them and now know we can feel great. So option 2 is our choice. So no, wheat (in moderation) won't make you fat. My bread of choice, prior to changing my way of eating, was the whole wheat sandwich thins. But knowing what I know now, I choose other options. And it's not because it makes me fat. It's the sugar cravings and inflammation and other issues it contributes to.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use Ezekiel. Haven't had regular bread in years.
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    Is it bread itself or gluten that you are having issues with? I've tried to eliminate gluten (and dairy) b/d they are both contributors to PMS which is a trigger for migraines (which I suffer from).

I buy gluten free bread Udi's chia bread is great; but I still don't eat a lot of bread

If I want a "sandwich" I either have one made with romaine, red leaf or green leaf lettuce as my "bread" or one slice of glutten free and the other side is lettuce.
    I also eat "sandwiches" with no bread...on a plate (yes, a veggie burger with veggies cheese, tomato & lettuce and eat it with fork) - I'm weird.

I've also used the Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain tortillas (small) as a wrap (this does have gluten, so I don't do this often)

I don't think I have a problem with gluten, I can eat oats etc with no problem. I mainly decided to stop eating bread because I love it so much that I have absolutely no self control. If I eat 1 slice, I'm just as likely to eat 10 (ok, well maybe 10 is going a bit far, but you know what I mean!). Giving it up has made me realise that it did give me blood sugar spikes and crashes though and I do feel much better for not having it.

I think I'm just going to try not to eat it too often and when I do eat it, it has to be a really good bread, not just your common or garden supermarket crap!

I wish I could get my daughter off bread too because she's always getting blood sugar crashes and is constantly craving high energy food. But she's so picky, there wouldn't be much else that she'd eat if bread was off the menu!
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    There's two trains of thought in this thread:

1) bread doesn't make you fat so eat it in moderation. Switch to wheat/light and it's healthy.

2) wheat is processed in the body like white and therefore raises blood sugar the same. Whole grain or sprouted or a whole different alternative (wasa crisps, Ezekiel, lettuce, etc) is needed so the body will get rid of the blood sugar raising culprit.

So no, for those of you who feel totally fine with the blood sugar highs and lows of consuming high GI foods like wheat flour, white flour, white potatoes, pasta, pastries, etc, then option 1 is perfect for you. But many many of us have discovered that blood sugar crashes or highs and lows are bad for us. Or we've switched to a way of eating that has eliminated them and now know we can feel great. So option 2 is our choice. So no, wheat (in moderation) won't make you fat. My bread of choice, prior to changing my way of eating, was the whole wheat sandwich thins. But knowing what I know now, I choose other options. And it's not because it makes me fat. It's the sugar cravings and inflammation and other issues it contributes to.

Totally agree!
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I come from Northern Europe and in my language there are completely different words for white bread (made of wheat) and black bread (made of rye). I grew up on rye bread and I love it and I believe it to be very healthy, especially the super yummy full-corn versions. Then I moved to the UK and this is when my problems started and I quickly figured out that I am wheat-intolerant. I had very serious digestive problems and my energy levels were up and down the way that I had never experienced before. I have never even liked wheat bread, but there was very little alternative for it those days in the UK. Fortunately things are changing and I hope it is the case where you are too.

Proper rye bread is full of fibre and most importantly B-group vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B10) which are brilliant for skin and nervous system. I cannot recommend it enough. Yummyyyy!!!
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    I have cut down the bread myself and let me say I'm just not a fan of most "bread alternatives" although I do wanna google those "oopsie rolls"... sounds interesting. If you can find Ezekiel bread over there it really is a great product. Healthier, easier for the body to process and tastes good! As for me I don't have the patience to mess with most bread alternatives so I just stick to soups, salads, lettucs wraps, stuffed peppers or mushrooms (you can stuff anything! haha). But I do have my bit of bread on occasion, I just make sure not to include it in every meal. If you moderate it you will still be better of than you were before having bread or pasta with every meal (cutting out grains and this is hard so wean yourself off!)
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Is it bread itself or gluten that you are having issues with? I've tried to eliminate gluten (and dairy) b/d they are both contributors to PMS which is a trigger for migraines (which I suffer from).

I buy gluten free bread Udi's chia bread is great; but I still don't eat a lot of bread

If it is wheat you're avoiding, rather than just bread, Genius do great wheat/gluten free bread (I particularly like the seeded loaf and the white loaf) and seem to be sold in most Sainsburys/Tescos/Morrisons (except the really tiny ones). They also do really nice rolls and pita. I feel much better after just switching :)

http://www.geniusglutenfree.com/
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    sara lee whole wheat 45 calorie bread
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    True replacements include lettuce wraps and jicama slices if you really wanna get hard core...
    I simply avoid white flour and eat things like orowheat sandwich thins, Dave's Killer Bread, and La Tortilla Factory tortillas... High fiber and whole grains and seeds.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas.

80 cal (large size)
    12 g Fiber
    8 g protien
    18 g carbs

water, oat fiber, whole wheat flour, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed canola oil

Hard to beat these things.
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone, it's been very informative and I've enjoyed the discussion, feel free to keep it coming!

Just to let you know, I tried the Oopsie rolls. They're like a soft, savoury meringue! Not something I would want to eat on it's own, but we tried them with burgers and they were great. I should think they'd also go well with a really good sandwich filling, so that's a result.

Also tried the cauliflower bread which was also a success. I think I put too many eggs in as the cauliflower I used was quite small, so it was quite fluffy, but I'll play around with that. I had it toasted under the grill the other day with scrambled egg and veggies on top - yum!

Haven't found things like Ezekiel bread over here, I guess it might be available in places like London, but outside of the metropolis, it doesn't seem to be around. I have seen sprouted wheat bread (can't remember the brand name) in healthfood shops so will try that. I've got sunflower seed bread for lunch today (like rye bread) so will see what that's like.

Who knew there was such a world of possibilities beyond bread?! :laugh:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think replacing bread is going to cause the same issues as eating it in the first place. My issue with bread is it is easy and quick and available, and I put butter on it, meaning I can eat 300 calories without noticing. This happens whether it's wheat bread or gluten free, or whatever, it's the ease of eating that is the problem. I try not to have any snacks in the house so if I am hungry I have to prepare something, which usually means I don't bother unless I am really hungry, it stops boredom eating.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    So...what I am about to say may have already been covered, but in case it hasn't:

1) Ryvita and Wasa crackers are very similar.

2) For bread, go for anything sprouted. I have the same issues as you if I eat "regular" bread (I'm in Canada, so for me that means anything made by Dempsters or a similar brand and found in the regular bread aisle rather than the bakery section of the grocery store). I used to think it was an issue with the processed wheat, but then I started buying Stonemill bread, which has wheat in it. It's about 130 calories for two slices and is full of yummy whole grains and seeds. However, I think Stonemill might be a local brand. So just look for breads with whole grains and anything that says "sprouted" (like Ezekiel, but not necessarily in case you can't find it).
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to wheat, and after years of not eating bread I don't really miss it at all. It IS the convenience that makes it so tempting. I've never found wheat free alternatives for bread to be very satisfying, they're never quite the same although some are starting to get pretty close. Spelt flour and rye bread less processed options that people sometimes find easier to digest. Wraps are always good, you can pile everything in and it's probably easier than a sandwich. I often just make a salad out of what I'd probably have put between a few slices too. Corn thins (like a round, bread slice-sized cruskit made of corn) are yummy too, and carry things pretty well as an open sandwich. Also, fresh vietnamese rice paper rolls-tasty and quite easy once you get the hang of it. I'd always rather a sushi roll to a sandwich too. I think it becomes habit, but there are lots of tasty alternatives to fill the void.
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    I think replacing bread is going to cause the same issues as eating it in the first place. My issue with bread is it is easy and quick and available, and I put butter on it, meaning I can eat 300 calories without noticing. This happens whether it's wheat bread or gluten free, or whatever, it's the ease of eating that is the problem. I try not to have any snacks in the house so if I am hungry I have to prepare something, which usually means I don't bother unless I am really hungry, it stops boredom eating.

I know what you mean, and I will have to watch that, but so far this hasn't happened. I've enjoyed the alternatives that I've tried so far but whilst they're tasty, they don't seem to have that addictive quality that bread seems to have for me. I've also found that I'm not craving junk food as much since not eating bread so am not snacking as much or am snacking on healthier stuff - something that has really surprised my husband! I think it's to do with not having the massive blood sugar spikes that bread seemed to give me.

I've also cut down my caffeine intake so I guess that might have something to do with it too - feel a lot less groggy for not having so much caffeine. I had a cup of caffeinated coffee yesterday for the first time in about two weeks and was fine until about 5 hours later when I felt really tired and groggy, so caffeine is obviously not a great one for me!