How does one survive on 1200 calories per day anyway??

Options

Replies

• karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies and no processed foods. So easy to do. My husband gripes at me for wasting my time counting calories. Since I mainly eat 80% veggies and 20% fruits and nuts I can't ever seem to break 13whatever MFP assigns me. It is cool. I eat ALL THE TIME. I love it.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I've been doing it...it's all about WHAT you choose. Eating 5 or 6 small meals helps, and go easy on the carbs. It's not too difficult to stay within range, especially if you factor in exercise...you can add a lot more calories depending on which cardio you do.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Use the BMR calculator tool on the App tab. This will give you the amount of calories you body burns if all you did was lay in bed all day. You should be eating at least this many calories each day.

Found this from user *psulemon* and it should answer your question.

***Keep in mind that MyFitnessPal is only as smart as the person inputting the data. MFP doesn't know how much you have to lose until you get into a healthy range. MFP doesn't know how much lean body mass you have (nor do most people). And if you have very little to lose and you want to lose 2 lbs a week, then MFP will probably arbitrarily cut you to 1200 calories as that's the least acceptable amount. You should be following the below guidelines.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The other is the fact that a Low Calorie Diet increases the chances of muscle loss. So previously, you could have had maintenance calories of 1900 but after 6 months of a LCD, you now have maintenance calories of 1600. It just means after a long period of LCD and you return to maintenance, you can only add a few calories as opposed to a larger amount. This is why LCD's are so ineffective long term because it creates a situation where you maintenance calories is severely suppressed due to your suppressing your metabolism and killing your lean body mass. I have seen some VLCD that end up causing your body to lose 50% of it's weight from lbm. This is why many of us suggest a moderate deficit (20% less than tdee to include exercise [hopefully that exercise includes heavy weight training]) in order to reduce muscle loss and maintain your metabolic rate.

At 1200 calories yourself, if you are any kind of active, you are not in a situation for just fat loss, but rather probably high in muscle loss too. If you don't believe me, I would suggest tracking your body fat and adding weight training to your exercise regimen. ***
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes practice, but the most important thing is not eating high calorie foods, and remembering to EAT BACK YOUR CALORIES. I strongly believe that the absolute minimum net amount of food a person must eat is 1200 calories.

I successfully lost (and have kept off) 20 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet, but I've now upped my 'minimum' calories to 1500 because I found myself feeling tired and getting headaches with only 1200 a day. I still eat the same types of food I was eating on 1200 a day, but I just add a fourth 'meal' to my day to add the extra 300. And after upping to 1500, I've lost an additional 5 pounds and still going.
  • dandksmommy
    Options
    Hello! Here are a few of my lil helpers that get me through the day. 1) when you wake, pee, weigh yourself, then drink a glass of Metamucil or Chia Seeds (from Trader Joes, Whole Foods or health food store) before breakfast. The mucil/seeds will fill up your belly and you will not eat as much. 2) I drink at least 1 gallon of water each day. 3) About 1/2 hour before lunch and dinner, drink the Metamucil or Chia Seed water again. 4) If you can learn to like salads, you can eat an enormous amount of lettuce/spinach/arugula with canned (1/2 can Costco brand) chicken, with apples and a few nuts with SUGAR FREE Waldens Dressing. YUMMY. 5) last but not least, I eat WASA bread or WASA Rosemary Flatbread as a snack or a cup of strawberries with SUGAR FREE Walden Farms Chocolate Sauce to quiet my sugar cravings. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I got in the habit of burning 500-1000 exercise calories, which gave me extra food calories. I know people are different, but I had 40 lbs to lose, and stuck with the 1200 net calories for just over 7 months, until I lost the weight and began maintenance. I no longer log, so I don't know what my calories are now, but I run and bike and weigh, almost daily, to make sure I'm not gaining. I eat carefully, because I don't want to have to log. :flowerforyou:
  • skipperlk
    Options
    1430 is the number for me. You just need to find a number that works for you. I used to think I needed to be under 1,200 calories a day and failed everytime I tried to lose weight because eating under 1,200 is something I cannot do long-term. I've been eating under 1430 calories a day for about a month and have lost 10 pounds and think this is something I can do long-term.
  • Kellyscupcake
    Kellyscupcake Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am at 1240..I started eating smaller portions and made better choices of some of the foods I was eating. Bagel=bagel thin 110 calories, Cream Cheese=laughing cow cream cheese 45 calories or I put a egg white on the bagel..that fills me til about 10:30 have a yoplait yogurt..90 calories...healthy life bread 35 calories each with a protien, 100 calorie pack of popcorn, mid afternoon snack apple with Peanut butter or another fruit or another yogurt. I also been doing special k meal replacement bars..they have been keeping me satisfied. Healthy dinner you will have plenty of calories left. Good Luck and stick with it..it took me a couple weeks for my stomach to get use to it!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1400 cals a day and I am 6'2 with 51lbs to lose. It's really not hard for me. I also eat clean, so find that I have to squeeze in a few snacks to make it to 1200 some days. My BMR is 1960, but I wasn't even losing a half pound a week at 1700 calories, so I had to adjust. You have to find what works for you and do that.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    What are your settings on? I came up with 1200 if i wanted to lose 2lbs a week...would love to but went with the recommended 1lb a week which gave me 1520...I'm fairly comfortable with that and strive to stay under my calorie goal. Also its recommended you don't eat less than 1200 cals a day and being that I want to lose appoximately 60lbs decided to not go rock bottom to start.

Just started 10 days ago and I'm far from perfect but usually I eat something high fiber for breakfast cereal, oatmeal, fiberone bar...Lunch is has been Tuna sandwiches, salads, Cottage Cheese and left overs...if I am on the road and eat out i try to do something like Subway...

Dinner is what ever my family is eating and am make sure to stick within a serving size...I've even eaten out a few times and remained within my calories although I do try to plan ahead...

I find I don't have much room for snacks..prob could eat more if I stuck with fruit or veggies but i have a horrendous sweet tooth and I've found Graham Crackers and Hot Cocoa satisfy that.

Excercise will give you more calories and although I havent' quite worked that into my daily routine I will force myself to go for a walk if I am getting close or go over my daily calorie allotment. example I was 2 calories over the other day and went for a 15 minute walk around my block...earned my 2 calories and had a tiny cushion.
  • MelisaDonald
    MelisaDonald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you eat starches and sugars, you'll be over the limit fast & hungry. I don't have any trouble staying under 1200 calories. (Maybe a bit more depending on my workouts). I'm rarely hungry and I work out a lot. The trick is to eat a lot of low-calorie, high fibre vegetables, some fruit, and with every meal and snack a high-quality protein. Veggies & fruits are carbohydrates, too, and a much better way to get them than grains & starches. A balance of carbs, proteins, and fats with every meal and snack is the key to feeling full and energized longer. BTW peanut butter, cream cheese, nuts are not proteins, they are fats. Nuts are a good fat (monounsaturated), but don't call it protein. You're welcome to send me a friend request and have a look at my food diary.
  • greenrn
    greenrn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I remember the first two weeks I started eating 1200 cal a day. My hubby always brought a double order of McDonald's biscuit and gravey home every Saturday and Sunday. The day I aded it to my food log, it made me nauseated, 1000 calories it read. Then came the day they cooked pancakes at work, and I added the syrup to my food log. That was another lesson learned, now I ask for the diabetic syrup. LOL. So I think it is not unusual in the beginning to realize why we are on a diet plan. I am on week six of a 1200 cal diet, and I too have learned to add exercise. I also have learned to eat healther, but occasionally I do splurge and eat something I really want. The next day I go right back to my 1200 cal diet. You are also welcome to add me as a friend and look at my food log.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Log your food ahead of time and use that to help you make better choices. An english muffin with pb instead of a bagel with cream cheese for example. Good luck!
  • momo62463
    momo62463 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the key for me is drinking tons of water or water based liquids it keeps me full. or i eat oats with sweetened milk and it keeps me full for about three hours or more. when i complete my check ins it keeps telling me i am under eating
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 cals for nearly a year plus my exercise cals.

So going on 1700 a day. at 5`4" and lost 42lbs. Now I am in maintenance at 1570 + exercise cals around 2000 for around 2 or 3 months.

1200 cals is quit e a lot of food and if you exercise you get to eat more...it does work!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I worked out so I could eat back my calories... and then I just upped my calories.
  • TinkerbelleJ
    TinkerbelleJ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't find it that hard, I love planning my meals in advance and really thinking about what I want to eat.

I as well want to be satisfied with my meals, I don't like eating things just to make me feel full!

You can check out my diary if you want to.

Today I had an extra serving of cheese and a piece of chocolate for dessert and oh my I enjoyed every bite of that chocolate and still managed to not go over my cal intake :)

I as well LOVE going out for a walk in this cold weather and walk off my crazy cravings!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's subjective/personal whether 1200 is a good number for an individual, I aim for 1200 each day and struggle to reach it most days! I do eat mostly clean and i'm vegan so it's usually lots of fruits and veggies. Feel free to add me and/or peek at my diary if you need ideas.
    As someone else said, if you exercise you can eat your exercise calories back!
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey, I never manage to reach 1200 anymore since starting a low carb diet, I feel like I am eating big meals but the calorie content is so low! The good thing about low carb is that you can eat a lot of fat, like cheese, bacon etc and it helps weight loss and keeps you feeling full for longer! I have felt a lot healthier on this diet, no more feeling bloated and yucky....
    Take a look at my diary if you want.

Chloe x
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hello, You can add me if you like. Food choices become easier the longer you do it. Just keep up the hard work