• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes
    No
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've never ate right before... so this year is going to be a trial for me. My plans are to eat right and exercise every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas. On those 2 days, I will try to maintain portion control... but, will probably not cut out anything too drastically. :laugh:
  • Bess_74
    Bess_74 Posts: 68
    Options
    Great question and one I have thought about a lot lately. For Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am going to only eat food that isn't part of my daily plan on those days only (not the days leading up to or after). I am going to have a reasonable serving size of everything that i want and will also add in some extra exercise before and after. I think this is a great balance for me. I am looking forward to enjoying the food and festivities, but it won't set my progress back. I have worked too hard to slide back into old routines!

This too is SOOOO my plan, it's only one day each month and I don't want to feel deprived or left out! :tongue:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    29363117.jpg

So worth it - thanks for fixing it Shankie!
    ^^What she said.

Agreed.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Just by asking, you may as well stop your success, pull out the fat pants and go for it.

In other words, eat the food you want. and if you still want to continue your healthy lifestyle, burn it off. If not, wear sweatpants.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    1. I do eat whatever I want.
    2. I do NOT overindulge. I eat until I'm full and I stop.
    3. I still log (as best as I can).

:)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I've never dieted through ANY holiday before..so this year will be interesting. I HOPE to plan it out and keep portions under control.

omg your Avi is so cute!
    That puppy looks very concerned with the pumpkin *giggle*

Thanks! That's my 125 lb. yellow lab, "Rocky The Wonderdog" (he needs MFP for dogs..lol) He was scared to death of that pumpkin. LOL
    Changed my pic now that Halloween is over. :)
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nom.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    pretty much why i try to add more muscle during winter time... cuz yea im gonna go HAM on all of that food.

^^^Perhaps this is a good outlook^^^... if you are on a weight loss segment... some of us have to be, well... I usually try to use moderation and just know that on that one day.. or two, i will go over my limit somewhat. I try not to go overboard but I'll eat in some level of moderation and try to get in some exercise as well... It really is a good time to build some muscle... We all have January where we can start our cut again...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight during the holidays. Traditional Thanksgiving food is the most disgusting things ever. Hate turkey and ham, that yam stuff is nasty, the people who's house we go to can't make a mashed potato to save their life. I usually eat bread and butter. Unless someone is nice and makes me a meatloaf.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Okay holidays are coming up. Now not everyone celebrates christmas, thanksgiving etc. but regardless October, November and December are the months of those icky delicious foods we all know we LOVE. So my question is: (actually I have two)

1.) Do you eat whatever you want on holiday dinners or get togethers, or do you portion out even these events?
    2.) If you know all the kinds of food you will be eating on these events, holidays, get togethers do you bump up your exercise before eating those things?

1. I eat whatever I want, but I still usually portion it out. Not for any dieting reasons, I just usually want a small sampling of everything. I've always been like that.

2. Why would I bump up my calories? These are days that I might go over, sure. I still log, and if I go over, fine. It's one day. I try to make up for it by either exercising more, or cutting calories more on other days, or earlier in the same day. I'm not going to deprive myself of foods I love, just because I'm eating less calories. This is about self control and a long term lifestyle change and deprivation is only going to lead me to temptation or binge eating. Not areas I want to be in.
  • MonicaW1988
    MonicaW1988 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would like to indulge a little bit and maybe have some soda or even a piece or more of chocolate or pasta... my boyfriends mum and dad are coming over for christmas to our place and i will be doing the majority of the cooking and preperation, it doesn't mean i'm going to not treat myself or others i wanna try make a cheesecake for them and maybe a nice big pasta dish too (i don't eat cheesecake) but i love chocolate cake!! i still want to watch my portions though......last time i went on holiday for a long weekend back to New Zealand i completely fell off the wagon and went back to my old eating habits... don't want that to happen again.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This year, Thanksgiving will be on the road, visiting my nephew in college, restaurants all weekend. My strategy for eating out is to assume that they're feeding me twice as much as I actually need. Half of it goes in the to-go box.

We're probably staying home for Christmas. We'll still cook. I probably won't be too strict, but also won't deliberately try to over eat like I used to when it was a holiday meal.
  • ThatMrs99
    Options
    I am eating REALLY careful all month with no cheat days, making all my workouts (lifting and insanity) just so I can shove my face in all that food Thanksgiving day, then after Thanksgiving it's back to business :)
    [Thanksgiving is a workout day for me too so all the better]
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I don't eat any more then I would any other day ..
  • djgoing
    djgoing Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want on just those 2days thanksgiving&christmas they only come once a year & I let myselef enjoy them......happy holidays:-)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this too..

Christmas day I'll eat what I want :)

But on other get-togethers and diners surrounding christmas time, I'll try eat the lowest calorie options and 'cleanest' looking options that aren't drenched in oil or have been fried ect...
    But I will probably have desserts if they are worth it and actually look like something I'd love. If it looks 'average' I'll politely say 'no thanks'

I'll also make sure I'm still working out 6 days a week around this time, and eat especially well during the days so I can enjoy those dinners and not have to worry too much !!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    OH and I'll also stop eating when I'm full !!! Just cause the table may be filled with foods, doesn't mean I have to eat it! If I am satisfied, I'll stop
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want..it's a break after all and does me good to et more, helps having a 'diet' break.