Replies

• phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I vote for new doc!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest finding a different doctor, this one sounds like a quack.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Fire. Your. Doctor. - Period!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Because it can't be said enough, GET A NEW DOCTOR.

I would also be considering reporting her. That is downright dangerous advice.

I am considering writing a letter once I calm down enough to write a coherent sentence. I'm pretty mad and outraged. I'm also mad at myself that I let her continue on and not shut the door in her face on my way out. How in the world did I even open this conversation with her. Very upset. Clearly *I* know more about my body and my issue better than she does.

She did not take history. She has notes but didn't look through them. I weigh 145 lb so I'm not obese but I am overweight and trying to correct that!
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Goodness...its hard enough for me to stick to 1200 calories. I couldn't imagine 750...Crazy!!!
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I did not ask for weightloss advice from the doctor. I went in because my morning blood sugars were trending 98-105 which is quite over where I normally have them. I have the glucose meter because I've had gestational diabetes with my pregnancies and am at a higher risk for Type2. I also have many symptoms of PCOS and wanted to see if she could run some bloodwork. One, among my many symptoms is difficulty losing weight. She latched on to that and wouldn't let go.

I got told -
    > Exercise does nothing. None of her patients have ever had success losing weight by exercising. It's all about FOOD.
    > Ok, I tell her about tracking on MFP. She tells me I'm eating too much if I'm trying to stick to 1200 cals. For a little 5' tall person like me, that is double of what I should be eating. Drop down to 750 cals.
    > I bring up the BMR and how it is not advisable to go under 1200 on a regular basis. She says that's a bunch of lies. People who have gastric bypass eat 700 cals and do fabulously.
    > Says the exercise I have been doing is maybe burning a 100 calories. I have a HRM and use it to figure my calorie burn - which is about 450-550 for 60-70 min of cardio...she says the HRM is wrong. I'm burning a 100 calories during the 60 min zumba/running/elliptical whatever.

ouch! clearly you have an underlying medical issue, i have an underactive thyroid have you been tested? and you had already gone in to test for PCOS which wont help! i was doing a low calorie diet of 700cals prior to getting advice from my gp and my doctor was so mad at me! told me its foolish and harmful to the body and that 1400 should be the target and 1200 when closer to goal but never lower. maybe a second opinion? i hope you get it sorted and feel better soon xxx
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    trending 98-105 which is quite over

In what world is this not a highly controlled number? Your doc needs to explain themselves to you and probably a medial board for malpractice.

EDIT lol I didnt even look at any replies. We are all on the same page. I would definately report the doc. What is your A1C?

A1C was 5.5 which is in the normal range.
  • christou84
    christou84 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Does she also own the funeral service in town? cause it sounds to me she is trying to kill you.
    LMAO... How hilarious!!! LOL... but true, that doesn't sound healthy at all.. I'd consider changing doctor!!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's time to drop the doctor! Get a new one!

^This. The things doctors say and do... makes me wonder how they forged their college degrees, because it doesn't sound like they went to college at all, let alone do even a tiny bit of research.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    <Quack, quack>
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you listen to what that quack says and drop to 750 calories and continue your Zumba classes, you will net next to nothing calorie wise for the day.. THAT IS INSANE. and not sustainable at all...
    get a second opinion and a new doctor!!!!
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well, let's assume that your doctor took physiology, biochemistry, pathophysiology years before graduating from med school. Then your doctor learned how to treat patients with a great many diseases. Then lets assume that your doctor knows you better than anyone in these forums. I'll even assume that your doctor did a thorough history and physical on you before evaluating your issues and giving you advice.
    Now let's also assume that a person who stands 2 feet tall needs less calories than a person who stands 6 feet tall.
    You are neither 2 feet tall nor 6 feet tall. That's about all I can say about you given the little information I have from this thread.

I see a lot of people who are vehemently against a diet below 1200 calories but I think not everyone fits into this box. Sure, for some people, such a low calorie allowance might kill them. But here's the thing... You have a doctor. If you lose too much weight, not only will everyone around you tell you, she'll also tell you if they don't. As long as she's following your course, and checking your electrolytes and albumin, I say give it a try.

All that said, that's a lot of assumptions. I hate doctors because most DON'T start with a complete history and physical... so... ya - she might be a quack.

Boo! Bad doctors cause a lot of injuries and death. They're out there. If my gut told me they were giving me bad advice, I wouldn't follow it just because they have a medical degree.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Doctors DO NOT always give the correct advice. Take this from someone who lost a mother-in -law due to cancer. 5 months before she died, my husband had her call the doctor to get checked because she was suddenly becoming forgetfull more and she wasn't that old. Doctor told her to tell her son to mind his own business and that she was JUST FINE and that it comes with aging. She had cancer and died not long after. the doctor is now out of practice for other reasons after that incident. And the forgetfullness was from the cancer starting to eat away at her brain.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Wow....doctor sounds looney!!!!!!!!!!! Though I was glad when I moved three years ago because my doctor was an idiot and didn't test for asthma (even though I have a family history of COPD) until I was 18 and by then too late because I'm now on an inhaler.

My doctors always said "you need to lose weight" and that was the end of it. No direction or guidance. Well, thankfully when I moved up here I not only got my asthma under control, but now I know I am seeing competent doctors lol. But seriously, get a new one before she tries to kill you, literally.

Edit: before my mom passed, she had went in to see her family doctor. The doctor told her she had hemorrhoids and moles, and that is needed to be removed, so off to the general surgeon. The surgeon says "i can tell by the smell, size, and shape that it is cancer." two months later (i kid you not) she was diagnosed with stage 3 going into stage 4 anal cancer (it was caused by the moles) and then when she went into the obgyn, found out she had possible ovarian cancer as well. She went through radiation and chemo from August (which required a pic line and a replacement one because she had a staph infection from the first one) until December. After that she started going in and out of the hospital for her copd and a two heart attacks (she had two previous to the two she had that were two weeks apart. She was 57, and a massive heart attack along with copd is what killed her) She passed in Feb of 2009. I moved in May of that year out of the area so I am not sure if the doctors are still in practice or not, but i can say that not all doctors are knowledgeable.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    > Exercise does nothing. None of her patients have ever had success losing weight by exercising. It's all about FOOD.

i can sort of see why she might have said this but it should have been framed differently. i bet the long term compliance of over weight patients losing weight by exercise is pretty low. and i also bet lots of them try to lose weight by exercising but not by changing their diet.

i have read that 80% of weight loss is food. i never really believe that before but i'm starting to now. you have to focus on your diet and calories first and foremost and then exercise just helps move things along and provides other benefits.

i read an article in the last year (can't remember where but it was some big name publication) that said essentially exercise was unbeneficial because many people feel they deserve a reward after and over eat or blow away any benefit they just achieved. while i can see the logic in this, it is a faulty conclusion to then say there is no value in exercise and no one needs to do it.

same thing with what your doctor said. just take it with a grain of salt and roll on.
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get another doctor and tell your current doctor to see a councelor/psychotherapist. She does have some issues...
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Can someone pull the medical license from this Doctor? Just absurd!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Okay, so your doctor is probably giving out bad advice and I think that's been covered. :wink: So I'm going to focus on the PCOS stuff and give you some more unsought advice... :laugh:

(1) I looked at your profile and I saw you mentioned that you eat a LOT of carbs. That is probably impeding your progress. Everyone I know with PCOS, me included, has seen far greater success with weight loss and all other PCOS symptoms by keeping their carbs that are high on the glycemic index to a minimum. If you are a vegetarian for ethical reasons, this will be a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. Just focus on making sure that the breads and grains you do eat are whole grains. Try to avoid white potatoes (I don't, but, I also eat tons of meat and my taters are not a sacrifice I'm willing to make!) If you are veggie for health reasons... you are probably shooting yourself in the foot. For PCOSers (and really anyone with risk of type 2), having a higher ratio of protein/fat to carbs is pretty important. I know there is plenty of protein you can eat, especially if you are lacto-ovo, but... it's much easier as a carnivore.

(2) I have been reading a tiny bit about the possibility that women with PCOS actually have BMRs that are 300-400 lower than those of the general population. I find that I lose about .5-1 lb a week whereas my calories in, calories out indicate that I should be losing 2 lbs. I have experimented with eating more calories, and I've just maintained. So I decided I am going to have my BMR tested, just so I know for sure what I am dealing with. It's not a bad idea for anyone who finds that the traditional advice is not working for them.

(3) If you want to confirm your PCOS, see an endocrinologist. They will do a 3 hour glucose tolerance/insulin resistance test on you and run a bunch of blood work, in part to rule out other similar things. Once you know for sure you have it, you could consider taking Metformin, a diabetes drug used off-label. I only took it when I was TTC my first child, but it did straighten out my cycles. Other people have great weight loss success with it. I lost a little, but for me my biggest loss is when I watch my eating (amount and content) and exercise.

(4) This is totally not my area of expertise, but I am confirmed to have PCOS and had borderline gestational diabetes once. My doctor only has me test once a year. My *completely uneducated personal opinion to take with a grain of salt* is that you are probably driving yourself nuts if you are testing at home with any regularity. Those numbers you posted are totally fine. Doctors get nutty about blood sugars. Do the official testing and go from there.

Ugh. So sorry you had to deal with that doctor's barrage of "advice"!
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Funny how everything but the Dr is wrong
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well, let's assume that your doctor took physiology, biochemistry, pathophysiology years before graduating from med school. Then your doctor learned how to treat patients with a great many diseases. Then lets assume that your doctor knows you better than anyone in these forums. I'll even assume that your doctor did a thorough history and physical on you before evaluating your issues and giving you advice.
    Now let's also assume that a person who stands 2 feet tall needs less calories than a person who stands 6 feet tall.
    You are neither 2 feet tall nor 6 feet tall. That's about all I can say about you given the little information I have from this thread.

I see a lot of people who are vehemently against a diet below 1200 calories but I think not everyone fits into this box. Sure, for some people, such a low calorie allowance might kill them. But here's the thing... You have a doctor. If you lose too much weight, not only will everyone around you tell you, she'll also tell you if they don't. As long as she's following your course, and checking your electrolytes and albumin, I say give it a try.

All that said, that's a lot of assumptions. I hate doctors because most DON'T start with a complete history and physical... so... ya - she might be a quack.

there are some people that do NO exercise that can possibly live on 1200 calories but why would you do this when you can lose the same if not more on a 1400+ calorie diet?