What counts as water

Options
123457»

Replies

• dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Light beer.

Seriously though, why track it all? Is there a dehydration epidimic I'm not aware of?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I admire your tenacity. Quite frankly I've given up arguing this one.

For me it's pretty simple. Water is meant to hydrate. If I drink it and it hydrates me, I count it as 'water' in the water thingie. *shrug*

At this point, I just really, really, really want one of these "only water is water" people to PLEASE explain the chemical reaction that makes it cease to be water! lol

I don't care what people personally count in their little water glass on the tracker. I want to know why they insist others should only count plain water, as well. They seem to be dodging the question.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I admire your tenacity. Quite frankly I've given up arguing this one.

For me it's pretty simple. Water is meant to hydrate. If I drink it and it hydrates me, I count it as 'water' in the water thingie. *shrug*

At this point, I just really, really, really want one of these "only water is water" people to PLEASE explain the chemical reaction that makes it cease to be water! lol

I don't care what people personally count in their little water glass on the tracker. I want to know why they insist others should only count plain water, as well. They seem to be dodging the question.
    I don't think anyone is insisting that other people should only count plain water; they're saying that they themselves only count plain water. I only count plain water because it's the only thing I think of as water. Anything that's not water is not water (if you'll forgive the tautology) so I don't count it as water.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

For those of you who think that only "pure" water hydrates, what is your scientific explanation for insisting on this myth?
    Good luck getting an answer to that. I simply got accused of drinking paint when I asked.

In a situation where there's NO DRINKABLE WATER, one could feasibly drink their own pee and somehow remain hydrated (according to movies). Explain that all you 'only pure water hydrates' supporters!!!!

I never said only pure water hydrates, I'm saying I only log water. Because the tracker says "water" and to me, crystal light isn't water, it's crystal light. Yes there's water in it, but the beverage itself isn't water. I'm not pushing my views on anyone, but OP asked for a tally of who logs what as water. I personally, only log straight water, Just to make sure that I'm getting enough, and the water in my spare beverages such as tea/diet coke etc, is kind of a buffer for me.

As I said earlier, you can count what you like but your body counts most liquids as water.
    You also said

"sorry but coffee & diet coke, do not do the same thing as water."

Can you please explain that to me? Because other than hydration and all the subsequent benefits of hydration, water doesn't do much else. It does have 0 calories but calories are not inherently evil.

I could say that coffee is a superior drink because in addition to the hydration effect (and low caloric value) it is also full of antioxidants and has been shown to decrease the risk of Type 2 diabetes, cancer , and depression.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    To solve this problem and the inherent assumptions created by MFP's use of the glass icon as a hydration guide, I submit that MFP change the icon to a person peeing and an accompanying color bar. The user can click what color their most recent urination is, with the goal being at least close to clear once a day. :wink: :drinker:

And maybe he/she can be peeing into a container that measures quantity. We can all report how many times we pee. :noway:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    To solve this problem and the inherent assumptions created by MFP's use of the glass icon as a hydration guide, I submit that MFP change the icon to a person peeing and an accompanying color bar. The user can click what color their most recent urination is, with the goal being at least close to clear once a day. :wink: :drinker:

And maybe he/she can be peeing into a container that measures quantity. We can all report how many times we pee. :noway:

Too far dude. Tooo far.

;)
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    water is water....for me that is. I found my big deal of calories was what I was DRINKING (damn, Large McDonald's Sweet Teas!) LOL.....so I stopped that stuff quick when I got to this site ;)

Water only gets logged to my profile when it's clear :P
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Are you both hydrated? Then who cares?

BTW, I stick to the study done by Backpacker Magazine that showed beer rehydrated you better than plain water:)
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

For those of you who think that only "pure" water hydrates, what is your scientific explanation for insisting on this myth?
    Good luck getting an answer to that. I simply got accused of drinking paint when I asked.

I never said. ONLY PURE WATER HYDRATES.... I said. Tea is tea not water. Coffee is coffee not water. Crystal light is crystal light NOT WATER. Paint is Paint

You mix 2 Hydrogen Molecules with 1 Oxygen molecule is it still Hydrogen? Just because something contains a majority of something else does not mean it is water.

When you combine water with coffee you are creating a substance that contains water. It no longer is water. Its coffee. I'm not saying it doesn't provide some level of hydration. I'm just saying call it what it is.

If you mix two hydrogen molecules with one water molecule then you have two hydrogen molecules and an oxygen molecule. If you burn that mixture, then you get two molecules of water. IT'S MAGIC.

When you add coffee to your water then you have water with some other stuff dissolved in it. The coffee doesn't react with the water to create a whole new substance, it just dissolves. We can call this magic too if you like, but it's a much less awesome type of magic (unless you like coffee, then I guess you'd consider it pretty awesome).

All this talk of "pure" water makes me laugh, anyway. Do people really believe the stuff they get out of the tap or a bottle is pure? Seriously? Let's take a look at this bottle sat on my desk (I buy them for the bottle, not the water) hmm... appears that the water that was in here was full of stuff that wasn't water! Dry residue at 180C is 170mg/l, that doesn't sound too "pure" to me...

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person on the internet who actually stayed awake during science classes in high school...
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I concur
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wel i put MIO in my water and it has no calories or anything and I count that as part of my water intake it helps me not drink my calories
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You mix 2 Hydrogen Molecules with 1 Oxygen molecule is it still Hydrogen? Just because something contains a majority of something else does not mean it is water.

when you mix tea into water you are not creating a chemical reaction, just a solution which is easily separated back to the original parts.

A chemical reaction actually does changes one thing into another. When you mix 2 H with 1 O properly, you do change it into H2O and the hydrogen does not really exist anymore except as part of the new molecule. Its electron is flying all around the entire molecule all mixed with the electron of the other hydrogen and the electrons of the oxygen.