I just had a total food binge

Options

Replies

• honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Must be something in the air today. I stuffed my face today at lunch. Actually ate two lunches. One with my son and then when he left I ate again. Ugh!!! Sometimes we fall a little. The important thing is not to give up!!! Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start doing it right again. No biggie.

BUT, don't be so strict. That's what leads to binging. Allow yourself treats (measured/tracked), and now and again, go a little over your calorie goal. If you're "good" nearly all of the time, you will still succeed. Just, maybe, a little slower than someone who is very strict and manages to be that way w/o falling off the wagon. So, try to do food and exercise changes that you can live with. Then you'll be okay for the long term.

Good luck!

Not to start *that argument*, but I disagree with this commonly-held belief. I think too large of a calorie deficit is more likely to lead to binge-eating than eliminating certain foods. Think of it as a different perspective on the "a calorie is a calorie" argument. It isn't the *type* of food the person is eating that causes the problem, but the amount of *calories*.
  • mlwilson01
    mlwilson01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well...i didn't drink a pepsi but i just downed a bag chips that cost me 800+ in calories. luckily i haven't ate today, so i'm not over, but my relationship with food is a hard one to handle. Just remember that everyday is a new day and you can start fresh tomorrow!!! don't give up!!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Really strict with food intake for 3 weeks straight? Good job! Sounds like you were about due for a break :-)

That's right. Don't kick yourself too hard if you did great for 3 weeks and bad for one afternoon. You won't get fit eating good once every 3 weeks and you won't kill yourself eating bad once every 3 weeks. Just figure out what triggered you to eat all that at once. Maybe you needed a smaller cheat to avoid the bigger one. Keep going, you're doing great.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have eaten 10 fun sized candy bars today. I did really good the last few weeks but not this week. Candy is my weakness and because of Halloween it is in my house and in my mouth. Luckily we only have a little bit left.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

BUT, don't be so strict. That's what leads to binging. Allow yourself treats (measured/tracked), and now and again, go a little over your calorie goal. If you're "good" nearly all of the time, you will still succeed. Just, maybe, a little slower than someone who is very strict and manages to be that way w/o falling off the wagon. So, try to do food and exercise changes that you can live with. Then you'll be okay for the long term.

Good luck!

Not to start *that argument*, but I disagree with this commonly-held belief. I think too large of a calorie deficit is more likely to lead to binge-eating than eliminating certain foods. Think of it as a different perspective on the "a calorie is a calorie" argument. It isn't the *type* of food the person is eating that causes the problem, but the amount of *calories*.
    I agree with you.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    That wasn't much of a binge. You might feel bad but it's really not that huge of a setback. Make a better choice at the next opportunity and forgive yourself.

yah I would agree. I got to the chips and was surprised it didn't continue. As things go thats not that bad, its probably not enough to derail your weight loss, but you need to get to the core of why it happened.

maybe you're diet is too strict so its like your punishing yourself, so you feel like you don't get the things you want and end up eating a whole bag of chips. maybe you need to factor in some healthy treats so you don't feel deprived.

one thing that helped me is understanding the junk food is empty calories. its not going to make you full, give you much nourishment and fuel your body.

I think the problem is you need to see food as fuel, when you grabbed the food you did, it was about something else.
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Darn Halloween snax...going to the gym to burn the 400 cals I went over today!
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    810 calories is not even 1/4th of a single pound.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I guess the difference is, one way I would be okay living the rest of my life...and the rest I wouldn't.

That said I do agree that too big of a deficit leads to binging. Moderate weight loss goals are easier to sustain and succeed with without losing track.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have been really strict with myself regarding food intake for the past 3 weeks, and I just had a food binge. I ate and ate and ate. I had a 20 ounce of Pepsi, my favorite, and a whole bag of chips. I can not believe I consumed 810 calories in one sitting. That is so disgusting. I am so frustrated that I did this. I am about to be weighed for my weight loss group that I am, and I am sure that I am up. Last week I was the biggest loser, and I feel that there is a part of me that is self-sabotaging. I could have done well this week too, but instead I went on this big binge. I can not believe I did this to myself. I mean, I am the only one that it is hurting. I did it all in secret too, when no one else was around. I hate the relationship that I have with food. I wish that I could just eat normal amounts of food, and not have this Love/Hate relationship that I have with food. I am really glad that I am going to my support group tonight. I am also glad that I totalled the amount that I ate, I was not going to even record it. It was 810 calories, and God knows how much fat. Please if you have ever been there, please post support.
    That's not a binge. My breakfast yesterday was 836. My dinner was 1,160.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I think you have already learned from your mistake and you have the power to not do it again. We are human and we sometimes fail, but if we NEVER try, we are guaranteed to fail.
    I don't what to say to make you feel better about it, but these are a few things I do to keep myself from binging.

First of all, NEVER have the stuff you want to binge on in the house.

Treat yourself once in a while but make sure it is a SINGLE portion. That way you have control over how much you can eat.

Brush your teeth.

Drink a full glass of water.

Go for a walk.

Do dishes.

Do laundry.

Do all of the above if necessary. Don't beat yourself up. YOU are worth the effort!!! <hugs>
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have been a bit TOO strict. Cut yourself some slack. You can't be perfect every day. Nobody can.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you counted your binge. It's not so bad considering. You probably can make it up over the next week.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    you call that a binge? a pepsi and a bag of chips? get a grip.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Having a diet too low in calories will do that.

That boing said, get back to it now.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary, I'm going to take a stab that you're probably undereating. Undereating on a daily basis can make you very prone to binging. Eat your workout calories and eat all the calories MFP allows you to eat given your desired rate of loss. Don't worry, you will still lose weight but slower, and you'll be much less apt to binging on junk. By your ticker, it looks like you've got about 100 lbs to lose. Be patient. Don't worry about being the biggest loser. Worry about retraining yourself to eat and live so you can continue to stay healthy for life.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It's cool. Start again tomorrow, it's not a race! You'll get there!
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being the biggest loser. Worry about retraining yourself to eat and live so you can continue to stay healthy for life.

*This
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Really strict with food intake for 3 weeks straight? Good job! Sounds like you were about due for a break :-)

That's right. Don't kick yourself too hard if you did great for 3 weeks and bad for one afternoon. You won't get fit eating good once every 3 weeks and you won't kill yourself eating bad once every 3 weeks. Just figure out what triggered you to eat all that at once. Maybe you needed a smaller cheat to avoid the bigger one. Keep going, you're doing great.

True, we all need to cheat once in awhile!