Does it bother you...

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't see how they're insulting YOU by saying they're full on 1200 calories. They're talking about themselves. Did they say "people who eat more than 1200 calories are lazy and have no willpower?" Then yes, direct insult, not implied. But you might be reading something into it that isn't there.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me one bit. I have noticed that since I started here, my body was telling me it was on the verge of starving eating my 2150 calories ( and that was at a 2 lb a week expected loss.) It took about three weeks to not feel absolutely hungry, and I noticed that exercise helped immensely. I now eat 1960 calories a day (again for 2lbs loss a week), and keep up with the exercise. I don't feel all that hungry at the end of a day anymore.
  • VenusinScorpio
    Options
    ...when people who eat 1200 calories or less brag about how they are "stuffed" eating that amount and "couldn't possibly eat anymore"? Depending on the situation and who you're talking to, the implication is generally that people who eat above 1200 are lazier and have less willpower. I understand wanting to be able to choose your own path to weight loss without being jumped on, but dissing people who are trying to help you isn't the way to do it. :/

I eat a little less than 1200 calories a day. I'm not hungry and stay fairly "full", but I don't eat many carbs. I eat a lot of veggies and protein. While I may not be "hungry" I am do feel emotionally hungry. . .As in, I'd like to eat a big helping of french fries for lunch.

I don't think most people on low cal diets sit around judging people who eat more calories. I certainly don't. I think what you're feeling is just emotional defensiveness. For example, when I go out somewhere, I think each person who sees me is judging me for being 40 lbs overweight. So I walk around with a scowl on my face, not wanting to make eye contact. Those people are not judging me. I'm judging myself, and the scowl on my face shows how I feel about what those people might be thinking of me and really, this is nothing more than classic projection.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Why on the world would you purposely try to read into what someone says about themselves to look for something to be offended by?
    Ive never been a big eater. I usually order an appetizer or 2 when dining out because regular portions are too much. How did i get overweight? By making bad choices every day and snacking on candy and every other flattening snack. Now that i changed how i eat, im getting plenty of food on 1200 for me. Could i eat more? Sometimes. At night i feel like snacking sometimes. I don't because im trying to break the habit and its not worth it for me.

My mom, who is tiny, is a huge eater. My eating is no reflection on anyone else.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ...when people who eat 1200 calories or less brag about how they are "stuffed" eating that amount and "couldn't possibly eat anymore"? Depending on the situation and who you're talking to, the implication is generally that people who eat above 1200 are lazier and have less willpower. I understand wanting to be able to choose your own path to weight loss without being jumped on, but dissing people who are trying to help you isn't the way to do it. :/

The fact that I can often be stuffed on 1,200 or fewer calories has nothing to do with you. Every person is different. It can be simply a matter of WHAT you're eating, but also your metabolism, your height or weight (taller people need more calories than shorter people because they have more body mass to fuel), amount of muscle ...

My experience is my experience. If you take that personally, that's on you. If what you're doing is working for you, then it's the right thing for you. Just like what I do that works for me is the right thing for me.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

Not at all. Everyone is different. It is totally silly to compare your calories with someone else, and it's equally silly to judge others. Not that I advocate anything unhealthy, but size (RMR/BMR) does matter in this case. I get a little nervous when they are taller and already under weight and you can kinda tell something unhealthy is going on, but some of us are just older with a slower metabolism, short, petite, have a low RMR, and the doctor's and labs have proved to us that we need less calories. Especially you have no idea if someone is under a doctors care and you are telling them to eat more or less calories.

1200 is such a stupid number to get stuck on. What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different.

You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

Exactly this. To each their own. I'm one of those that eats between 900-1,100 a day, depending. I'm not stuffed, but satisfied. I eat a ton of greens and such when I am hungry, which keeps the cals lower. Plus with hypothyroid untreated, my metabolism is a lot slower than it should be. If I ate more than I did just to eat calories, since I would not be hungry, would merely work to gain weight, not lose.

Best solution is don't be offended by someone else's eating habits. They may have reasons for doing as they do, health-wise or other. As long as what you are doing is working stay focused on that.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't really care. People can choose their own path to weight loss and determine what works for them. I personally eat 2500 calories per day and exercise (mix of run, swim, elliptical, and weights) 4 to 5 times per week. I try not to be under 1800 calories net. This has worked for me...gone from 39" to 31.5" waist, 202 lb to 167lb...and have seen athletic performance improve tremendously. So...I don't typically give or take advice on this site. What works for me may not work for others, and vice versa, and I'm not a dietician so anything I say is not expert advice.
  • tomsow
    tomsow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    everyone is different... doesnt bother me, because i know people react differently or have control problems they have to deal with.. i used to eat 4-5000 cals a day- now 1600-2600 and dont feel much of a difference apart from being a bit tired sometimes on the low days.. workouts are still strong as well! i think some people that eat very low on some days cycle their calories (higher calories on other days) and forget to mention this... :wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    How about trying to look at the other side of this coin.

Imagine you were very petite, older, and had medical conditions that prevented you from lifting weights and doing very strenuous exercise, so you only actually burn 1700 calories per day. (Believe it or not, that is the TDEE for many people). You were 80 pounds overweight, newly diagnosed with T2Diabetes and you really needed to lose some weight quickly.

eating at 1200 calories only gives you a 500 calorie deficit, for barely a 1 pound loss per week. At this rate it will take you 80 weeks to reach your goal.

Now you go on the message boards to find some support and friends, and you see a lot of people claiming that anyone who eats 1200 per day is an idiot, is starving themselves and ruining their metabolism, and if they say they are not hungry, then they are liars and are just trying to say that people who eat more are lazy.

Would YOU be offended by that?

ok so what if it takes you 80 weeks to reach your goal. surely it's better to take a a year and a half to lose weight it took YEARS to gain in a healthy way while learning new lifestyle habits? i think you raise a good point though, too many people are too focused on losing the maximum amount they can.

besides that a pound of fat is nothing to sneeze at

1lb-fat-mug.jpg
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That only goes but so far, though. I'm eating at a deficit, and my stomach does gradually adjust to that over time so that I'm not hungry all day. But if you're eating 800 calories a day for example, you can't possibly be getting full off that amount of food. I honestly don't understand how anyone can say that with a straight face.
    Not often, but every now and then, usually right after my period starts, I will have 3 days in a row under 1000 cal. Then It goes back to my normal want of 1400.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Nah, it doesn't bother me. I work with some people like that and to be honest I am only interested in what I am doing. I love food. :drinker:
  • charlestonchickk
    Options
    What bothers me are the people who eat pork chops for breakfast and think that they are on a diet because they count the calories!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Never seen it as any kind of implication; merely a statement of fact.

While I am a tad jealous of them, I suspect they'll never have the pleasure I get from a massive Sunday dinner.
  • rml_16
    Options
    What bothers me are the people who eat pork chops for breakfast and think that they are on a diet because they count the calories!

Huh?

Is there some law about breakfast food I don't know of?
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is the ones who claim they cant possibly eat 1200 calories a day...its just too much food. How the heck did they get overweight then!? They must have been eating SOMEthing...I just don't get that one at all.

By making bad food choices and eating too much, quantity wise. When I first started my weight loss journey I was eating a lot more food....that's how I got so big. Now, I could not fit that much food in my stomach. My stomach is full on only a portion of the food I used to eat.

Honestly guys....you need to think of your weight loss journey and not worry about what anyone else is doing. If you're still trying to find what works for you, pay attention to people who have won this battle. ...or not. Worrying about other people and their diets will not help you. It's counterproductive to your own well being.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm kind of a live and let live type, so as a general rule nothing people do or say that doesn't directly impact my personal happiness does not bother me. Maybe they really are stuffed. Maybe they aren't. I don't give a *kitten* either way. More pizza left for me. Does it bother me when they think I'm a glutton for eating all the pizza. Still no care.

BURRRRRP

^^^ YES!!!!

1. Live and let live. 2. More for me.

I've lost 51 pounds eating at the correct level for me. As I've lost weight, I've adjusted my calories. I have had days where I struggle to eat 1200, and I've had days where I'm starving. A low day doesn't correlate to the next day being high for me either.

There is no magic formula, no "one size fits all."
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    That only goes but so far, though. I'm eating at a deficit, and my stomach does gradually adjust to that over time so that I'm not hungry all day. But if you're eating 800 calories a day for example, you can't possibly be getting full off that amount of food. I honestly don't understand how anyone can say that with a straight face.

You can eat 800 calories a day and be full if you have had bariatric surgery. :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Interesting that you know what other people feel within their own bodies. Does that psychic ability extend to lottery numbers? I could use a few million.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think Depends what people have with their calories!

I fill up on veg - eat less potato on my plate and eat a HUGE potion of veg and meats etc so i genuinly do feel 'stuffed'
    eat less for breakfast as thats time of day i'm really busy and not rally hungry, i eat somthing low cal for dinner that makes me feel comfortably full, then I eat m big dinner around 5 and full....

The days i eat chips and pizza im hungry as dont get as muh fo my calories so if im hungry i know what to eat to feel full.

my friend as lost 5stone and she cant eat half as much as she used to she genuinly feels full over time i think our bodies adjust.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1240-1260 to lose 2 pounds per week. I have been averaging between a 1 to 2 pound per week loss.

Just a few general facts I refuse to log my coffee with sugar and creamer. It's my one simple pleasure. The only thing I eat anymore with processed foods of the sort that Coffee Mate French Vanilla powder creamer is. Days that involve a lot of stress at work there may be 3 cups or more of coffee with that in it. So those days I get full off coffee. Food consumption goes down because I am full from good coffee and a gallon of water per day. I typically average about 1100 calories give or take of food.

If you actually counted my coffee into this equation it is probably closer to 1300- 1400 per day.

I don't eat grains, potatoes, bread, pasta, or sweets. I eat a lot of produce ( fruits and veggies), meat, yogurt, etc.

So, yes, even without my coffee I have had days, whole weeks, due to stress of severe family issues, and work issues that I am FULL on 800 calories of food.

Is this an insult to other people? NO
    Is this calling people with a higher calorie count lazy? NO
    Is MY food/coffee choices a "diss" on YOU? NO

They are my food choices, my calories based on MFP recomendations. It works for me, what does it have to do with your journey or results? NOTHING.

I mean this whole idea that my 1200 calorie diet impacts someone else has been beaten half to death. This is like the 3rd or 4th thread you have started about this. What is the hang-up with anyone who eats the same calorie count as myself? What are we doing to hurt your journey by how we eat?

Eat whatever works for you with however may calories per day that works for you. Very Easy.