Single Mom leaves no tip

Options

Replies

• joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    i dunnoo.... we don't know what kind of service was recieved. It is probably a cultural thing because tipping is a bit more discretionary in the uk than usa, but if the waiter gave a poor service, she shouldn't have to pay imo. that said, she should have been honest wit that and not used the 'mommyyyy' excuse. a case of stfu parents maybes??? xxx
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    $138.00? no tip? oh i get it,she had ten kids.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My skeptical senses are tingling. I've seen this story around, but I'm having a hard time believing it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/single-mom-leaves-outrage_n_2051354.html
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have alway been a generous tipper because my wife was a waitress for almost 7 years. That would have been at least a $25-30 tip for exceptional service. People dont realize that tips make up about 85% of a servers income and on top of that they have to give a certain % to the bus boys.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    $138.00? no tip? oh i get it,she had ten kids.

This actually makes sense to me now. We have no background of this story, only a receipt. Maybe she was taking all 10, or maybe 6 kids out to eat for one of there birthdays or other occasion, and she mentions being a single mom because the waiter/waitress would be able to clearly see she was "alone" besides having the children with her. Should she not be able to take her kids out and have a decent meal because she has to worry about a tip amount or if she could afford one. Should she not spend every last penny she had to spare on that meal, and have her kids and her have a memorable time.

I'll be the first to admit, sometimes we are way to quick to judge, and this girl I quoted, made me think of it a different way, and at the same time, I can not say for sure that's what happened either.

Just a different way to possibly conceive how the situation really was
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you can afford in one meal what I basically spent last month in groceries, then you should be ashamed of not leaving a tip.

Uh yeah this is EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! Being a single mother has nothing to do with being able to afford a tip, especially if you can afford that kind of meal!
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    BULL!!! A bill that large should have had tip added in...
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    sam-is-reasonably-funny-again-in-which-sam-co-L-BZNhC0.jpeg
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been a waitress in many different places, and it is true waiters/waitresses should earn their tips. It is also true that customers need to comprehend that their servers are human and are usually working hard to do so. If this customer could "only' afford a 138 dollar bill, they should have either eaten less, had the others who eat with them help with the tip, or not eaten at the establishment. Being a single Mom is not an excuse for rudeness like that.

Everyone should really work as a waitress or waiter for a whole in their life, just so they really understand what a pain in the a** this job is, and how painful it can be. This really may cure people like this person of their attitude of nonchalance.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    BULL!!! A bill that large should have had tip added in...

Yep, it probably was, and because she's a single mom and hardly goes out, probably didn't even realise it was built into the bill, possibly..............
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I can't understand the 'tip' thing at all. Is the waiter not getting paid at all to do the job? I don't get a 'tip' for cooking the family a meal. It's my job.
  • jesse1379
    Options
    I can't understand the 'tip' thing at all. Is the waiter not getting paid at all to do the job? I don't get a 'tip' for cooking the family a meal. It's my job.

Its pretty much common knowledge that waitress make about $1-4 an hour from their employers...with the exception im sure but most of their income DOES come from tips. I have always operated under the assumption that If you cannot afford to tip at least %15 for a meal then there is probably a McD's across the street.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd be pissed if someone had the money to spend that much on a meal and couldn't tip me. The only time I would consider not tipping is if the server didn't do a good job, but even then I would leave something just because it's the nice thing to do.
  • joselo2
    Options
    was that the customer or the waiter who wrote that comment??? Now THAT is rude!!!!!
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

WTF SERIOUSLY!!!!! This was just wrong. People are suck ****heads. if someone left that for me i would walk out there and slap the **** outta them. I am sorry that happened
  • JosephVitte
    Options

Its pretty much common knowledge that waitress make about $1-4 an hour from their employers...with the exception im sure but most of their income DOES come from tips. I have always operated under the assumption that If you cannot afford to tip at least %15 for a meal then there is probably a McD's across the street.

It isn't/wasn't common knowledge to me, maybe more common knowledge for people in that "world", I had no idea waiters/waitresses make 1-4 dollars an hour? Doesn't seem legal. is this in certain states, certain types of restaurants.........it just seems hard for me to believe.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Your right and nowadays if your tips don't add up to minimum wage the employers have to pay you more to balance out your pay. I worked in a place that was always slow, (I quit btw) and would write you up if you didn't make enough. If service is slow then that is wrong. But Still everything comes from tips.
  • joselo2
    Options

WTF SERIOUSLY!!!!! This was just wrong. People are suck ****heads. if someone left that for me i would walk out there and slap the **** outta them. I am sorry that happened
    Yep!!!! I can't work out if the waitor wrote that or the customer but if it ws the waitor, if they are the kind of person who would wrote that, they are probably rude and horrible enought that they'd be an awful server anyways, who probably deserved no tip. I would complain right to the top and never ever go there again. And I'd tell everyone I could not to go there also!! xxx
  • jesse1379
    Options

It isn't/wasn't common knowledge to me, maybe more common knowledge for people in that "world", I had no idea waiters/waitresses make 1-4 dollars an hour? Doesn't seem legal. is this in certain states, certain types of restaurants.........it just seems hard for me to believe.

Yeah I guess it may not be common knowledge to everyone but usually that is how it works. But it is most certainly common knowledge to tip for good service.

Besides if you eat at the same place frequently, the servers will remember you and go that extra mile to make your experience all that much better. I get my food the way I want it, fast and curteous service and she gets a good tip....seems fair to me.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Your right and nowadays if your tips don't add up to minimum wage the employers have to pay you more to balance out your pay. I worked in a place that was always slow, (I quit btw) and would write you up if you didn't make enough. If service is slow then that is wrong. But Still everything comes from tips.

My niece worked as a waitress, and at a few places she lost money, because she has to pay a certain amount to the servers, no matter how much she is tipped. She is also a single mom. My son also buses tables. The waiters pay him a percentage of money from their tips.

It is very rude to tip less than 10% You are stealing from the waiter that served you if you do. If you can't afford to tip, go to fast food, or eat at home.
This discussion has been closed.