WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello All,

Had the most wonderful weekend went to my nieces wedding and my parents were well enough to attend. God is Good actually God is so Good never thought my mom would live to see my niece graduate and get married but God saw her through and she and my dad made it. If you would like to see a photo of my parents I will post one on my site.

Vicki great job getting the weight back off my weight just came down for the first time in 8-9 months due to the stress of my parent’s illness so I am very proud of you and your loss.

Congrats Jackie.

Kathy that is awesome we loved Aruba when we went there. I hope you have the time of your life and really get the much deserved rest.

Well I will finish reading Sundays post tomorrow.

Have a great evening.

Lynn
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    [/quote]
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow, so many posts to read. I can't keep up!! It is so good though to be surrounded by women of similar circumstances and challenges. :flowerforyou:

:wink: For now I have decided to do a daily weigh-in and see how that goes:wink: I have also changed my set up for food logging. I had just Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks. I have changed this now to more of a timeline; i.e. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack. I used to go long times between the 3 meals, but have decided on smaller meals and snacks in between. I will see how that goes as well.

:yawn: I am very tired now and going to relax. During the week I do not have much time to read all the posts, but will at a minimum check in again on the weekend.

Have a great week!! Love you all :heart:

Rebel
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Michelle - I am sorry that being a volunteer is being hard on you. They really can't do anything to you if you don't do what they want. Do you think they would tell you to stop volunteering? If they do find an elementary school and volunteer to help the gym teacher or any teachers do sports with their classes. I did that one year and what a blast! There is nothing like watching kindergardeners run the bases backwards during dodge ball.

Weighing in every day is suppose to be helpful in loosing weight. I'm testing that theory this month and next. I hope it works.

I bought a pair of jeans and a pair of black swim shorts today in a size 12. They fit perfect. I debated whether to hold out and decided the jeans will be incentive for going to Vail and not gaining weight while we are there.

Well, I need to lay down. My tummy is too full. I did not eat all my calories today, but it was a bigger dinner than I am use to any more.

May this Monday morning be a good one for all of us.

Jeannie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Traveling home tomorrow. Travel ususally wreaks havok with my progress. Guess I'll find out when I get home. Catch up with you all then.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Michelle - I am sorry that being a volunteer is being hard on you. They really can't do anything to you if you don't do what they want. Do you think they would tell you to stop volunteering? If they do find an elementary school and volunteer to help the gym teacher or any teachers do sports with their classes. I did that one year and what a blast! There is nothing like watching kindergardeners run the bases backwards during dodge ball.

You know, I used to do substitute work in the school district -- mainly worked in the elemenetary schools. Yes, it was great! Reading that book to those preschoolers brought me back to the days when I'd help out in the kindergarten room. Sometimes I would sub for the aide in a classroom, sometimes work one-on-one with a handicapped child or a child with a learning disability, but I always had a good time.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :laugh: To those of you who said, lucky Barbie she went to Los Angeles for four days and enjoyed beautiful weather, you were only half right
    we were lucky to have such a great weekend but part of it was rainy, windy, and cold. The weather was not why we were here. We had wonderful times with friends, ate mostly healthy, took long walks, used the fitness center a bit, climbed the stairs a lot (we were on floor nine), and watched the Academy Awards on TV with no interruptions from pets:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Our walks along Sepulveda Blvd to shopping and restaurants took us under one of the landing patterns for LAX so we enjoyed watching huge planes fly right over our heads

:flowerforyou: :drinker: We fly home tomorrow and will probably get home by late afternoon.

:heart: :heart: :heart: I read all the posts but am too tired to respond, just wanted to let you know that I havae not disappeared and there's no need to send out a search party.
    :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • JuicyPlum
    JuicyPlum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I haven't posted lately and I am having a hard time reading all the posts but I love reading them all. It makes me realize I am not alone. I had a pretty good week and if I can believe my scale I lost 6 pounds. Time will tell. I didn't walk today but I did carry five wheelbarrows full of wood and stacked it in the garage. It took 45 minutes so I think that helped. It's getting late so I'll try to check in tomorrow. Have a great day tomorrow.

Lucy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

.....Say, can you only add a certain amount of foods to your lists of frequently eaten foods? There are things that I KNOW I've had recently, but they haven't shown up on my list......

Michele

You have discovered a downside to the food log that to date hasn't been improved upon. With the addition of the "recent items" tab, you can still find things you have recently eaten (for that meal), so at least they are accessible. As far as getting items in the favorites list, it appears once you have 25 items in that list, the only way I have figured out how to do it is to delete items from the favorites that you are no longer using regularly. They will appear in your deleted items list. Be aware, however, that any item in your deleted items list will NOT appear again as a favorite no matter how many times you might pull it manually into your diary via a database search. In order to get a deleted item back to your favorites, you will have to go to the deleted items list and use the "restore" feature to put it back in place.

I would like to see the favorites set up so that we could CHOOSE what goes into the favorites. It would certainly make my life a lot simpler.

Barb

I just reread my explanation and realized I didn't make one point clear. The reason you would delete things out of your favorites is so there is room for new "favorites" to flow in. Unfortunately, you can't know what will. It doesn't happen until you have logged more meals and the favorites fill up again.

I ran an errand tonight and wasn't gone more than about 2 1/2 hours. Considering I had been with my little darlings for about 24 hours, without interruption, and they had been walked and fed, I foolishly thought nothing could happen while I was out.:noway: Silly me, despite putting my work tote bag out of reach, or so I thought, Bradley the Terror managed to get it to fall from its perch and of course, he dispatched the remaining Orowheat Sandwich thins that were in the bag.:grumble: :frown: Fortunately, I always have an "extra" bag. I have decided to only put a couple at a time into my bag, so at least if he gets in their he doesn't get a total pigout feast!!

I guess I will have to lock up that bag in the bathroom along with the other temptations, like the dog food and the kitchen garbage can. I know there are those who would say, put him in a crate when you are out, but I don't believe in crating an adult dog who was never raised that way. I never felt the need to crate any of the dogs I have now, and my first "baby" never got crated as a young one and he never caused any memorable grief.

Well, I have been to the store, and after reading the labels on all the cold medications, I decided I could do just as well with a good bottle of red wine and making myself some "comfort pizza"--which was basically a sandwich thin with reduced fat cheese on it and some sliced mushrooms, nuked for about a minute or so to melt the cheese. Very tasty, and less than 200 calories. I am going to finish it off with a glass of Shiraz-Merlot, courtesy of Yellowtail. an Australian wine that is available in my area. They do a pretty decent Chardonnay as well, and they are reasonably priced as well.

Well, it is definitely time to quit, since Pepper :love: has decided his presence is required on my lap yet again!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Barbiecat--Get home safe. I hope the weather behaves itself on Monday when you are traveling.

Barb
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I changed my March goals. Instead of cooking once a week, I put "go to bed before midnight" in instead.

I decided the bedtime thing was more important and I've been totally unmotivated to cook anyway. I need to get to the point where I can go to bed around 10pm so I can do morning workouts and also get to work earlier so I need to work on the bedtime thing and it's going to take a while.

Hey, I've been skimming the thread but I just can't keep up any more. But good wishes to everyone!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    My goal for March is to get back to work....eventually get back to exercising (when I get rid of the bronchitis) and not gain weight. It's a matter of being practical at this point.
    Have a great day all.:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:love:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon ladies from a lovely sunny N.Wales. Still had to scrape the car of ice though this morning... :bigsmile: actually I didn't but Peter did!
    Scales were the same this morning so at least I've got through the weekend without gaining :happy: ... better than last weekend .
    I've been to work so I've got cleaning calories to play with if I want. Can't see me doing any more exercise today though:noway: as now i have both arms aching:frown: ... It was only my right arm up 'til Sunday ( continuation from a few weeks back when my wrist etc went haywire) now my left arm aches right up into my neck ..... possibly the Salsa lessons ? Tension? ...or I just need that sunshine and to be lying by the pool in Lanzarote? ...Yep! that's it!!!! Until then it'll have to be ...keep taking the paracetamol!

Anyway ....:ohwell: I'm off now to dish out some pills to you know who, clean the kitchen, pop some washing in, run the hoover around and ... change mum's bed. What did I say about not doing anymore exercise?
    I'm sure we don't really realise how much we do do sometimes!!!

:drinker: Keep up the good work ladies ... if you can't be good ... be careful (what you eat ..that is)!!

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi eveyone,

My name is Denise, I'll be 54 next month, I live in County Durham in the North East of England and I'd love to join your group. I was 187lbs at my heaviest in June last year and managed to lose a few pounds before I joined MFP in September. I logged my foods and exercise but was away from home in France and Spain with no scales for 3 months so did not get weighed until I came home early December. I was delighted to find I had lost 14lbs and started to eat more and by the time I started using MFP again I had gained about 6lbs back! I started losing again and then had a dodgy week last week and put on 1.5lbs. Now I am determined to get back on track and lose some more weight before we go to Rome for a few days on 18th April. I've been reading your posts for a while and find them inspirational.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Morning gals, haven't caught up on posts, but had to add the latest installment on the continuing drama...The Return of the Son of The scale LIES: Saturday 277 calories over, 2.1 lbs UP
    Sunday 322 calories over 2.5 lbs DOWN

Go figure.

and YES weekends are a struggle ;}
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, ALL!

Welcome Denise! This is week 2 for me here and this is a helpful group. I am also away from scales for 3 weeks and hope that I do ok. I am going to try to pop into a fitness center here and use there's as I worry about that long without accountability. I am finding that I need to weigh everyday to keep the faith.

We are out in MT for 3 weeks and I hope to ski almost every day. It should help, but it also makes me VERY hungry! I will try to make soup and other warm, but less costly caloric choices, my meals.

Goal for rest of March: WRITE EVERY SINGLE THING I CONSUME DOWN!

Have a great week!:glasses:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It's Monday....gloomy:frown: ...rainy....reminds me of Oregon...you gett pretty spoiled with sunshine:glasses: here in Colorado.

So many posts to read...Welcome to the new ones:flowerforyou: So glad you have decided to join us.

Jeannie, sorry to read you are "catching" some bug:sick: .

BirdieM, I know how it is when you have been away from work and the paper's piling up:grumble: , sometimes it's better if everyone would just leave your work alone, but since you are dealing with peoples taxes that's probably not an option for you. Just continue to get well and let the exercise come back when you really feel better.:bigsmile:

Rebel, good job on the inches lost:flowerforyou: ...that's the best results!

Jackie, hats off to you for eating plain popcorn:drinker: ...not sure if I could do that.

Barb, you are so good about walking your 'babies' in all weather:bigsmile: ....yesterday would have been a great day for me to walk Peanut (my long haired dashshund) but alas I didn't.:grumble:

Michele, so sorry about your frustration at the Y:grumble: , I guess people expect everyone to have the same attitude they do and feel no problem volunteering other's to do what they think is important...and unfortunately good hearts :bigsmile: get stepped on sometimes.

What a weekend, the only thing I can think of is that it was a total "lets eat out this weekend" kind...NOT GOOD:grumble: . I did really well on Friday night, because I was able to cruise the Red Robin web site and knew beforhand what I was going to eat. Saturday I planned for so that splurge was almost controlled. But last night was a total distaster:cry: , our #3 Son and DIL wanted to go to one of those Brazil all the meat + that you can eat. I really thought I'd done okay because I even did a bit extra on my exercises for yesterday....but NO the scale had killer numbers:grumble: I'm up 2.20 lbs this morning and I haven't had that much of a jump since the second week of Jan...I just hate:angry: having to relose something that I know is not really there. I'm hoping that a lot of it is water weight as I was very thirsty last night and sleeping was just not happening:frown: . I guess the main thing that upsets me is that Mondays are my weigh in days for the week...needless to say I'm not putting that number in!:noway:

Hope everyone has a good day, I will be tackling this desk and see if I can get caught up. As far as diet & exercise there is always tomorrow to look forward to as we fight off those "kicking & screaming" pounds.

Laura:smile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well it's almost afternoon here in Sunny NC. I've been working in the house this morning. Trying to get the pantry straightened out. Have made bread and am doing laundry.

I weighed this morning and the scale said 1/2 lb down. I was even more happy to see that I am down an inch in the waist. I knew my clothes were fitting better. But today I'm having trouble with just wanting to eat and eat. Nothing seems to satisfy whatever craving I'm having.

I looked at a short clip on using pedometers this morning. It said people who have 10K steps per day have leaner body mass. I used to belong to a group on WW that kept up with steps. It really does help so strap on a pedometer and keep up with your steps and see if it helps.

Welcome to all the new folks who have logged on!

Sorry about your arms Jackie! Maybe a massage would help :flowerforyou: Would Peter be willing to help out in that area?

Well, better get back to work!

Cindy
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    I just sent the executive director of the Y a note saying that I won't be at this fundraiser since I have the opportunity to attend some fitness workshops. We shall see what happens.

Did my 1 hr of deep water workout today. Tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll take a pilates class and then a toning class. Actually, I would like more in the toning class, but Thurs. I'm going to do the Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones DVD. Oh, Amazon said they shipped some of my DVD's (step aerobics, Jari Love get Extremely Ripped and Yogaworks) so I'm somewhat happy. Of course, can't wait to get them. So far today I've had 96oz of water. See, I'm a BIG water drinker.

I just realized that the "recent foods" you can't delete things from. There's this one kind of beef jerky that I'm pretty sure they've discontinued and I'd like to delete it from that list, but I can't. Oh well...... if I don't enter it for a while, will it go to the end of the list?

Welcome Denise! Pull up a chair, put your feet up, and hop right it. Boy, you do a lot of traveling...lucky you!

Laura - you know, I'm seriously considering quitting this Board at the Y early next year (right before this children'ts fund). I really don't feel like going thru the same thing over again. I really like the one branch near me. Yes, they don't have a lot of classes, it's really more geared towards parents w/o children. But the "air" is much friendlier. I don't know what I can do there. You know, I just might make a donation to the children's fund, but do it at that branch. See, they're not pressuring me. Wonder what kinds of fundraisers they're going to have? I hope they or another branch (not the one that I'm on the Board at) has one from Pampered Chef. I know something that I want to get and I'd buy it from them.

Cindy - I'm cleaning out my pantry, too. I have these two chafing dishes that I've never used. I think my father gave them to me. Anyway, I don't know if they're silverplate or real silver (I'm guessing silverplate). Really, I'll maybe donate them. I know what you mean, I have those times when I just want to eat and eat and eat. Carbs usually set me off. One thing that someone that I worked with told me (she'd gotten this recipe from Weight Watchers) was to make bran muffins. Basically, take one egg (used as the binder), 3 cups of wheat bran, and 1-1/2 cups of water. Bake that at 350 for 30 min. The bran makes you want to drink a lot (usually with each muffin I can drink at least 24oz) which makes you feel real full. I ran this thru my Mastercook, and each muffin is something like 53 calories. I have a thing on my computer that converts the nutritionals to Weight Watcher points, and this is 0 points (probably because of the high fiber) One thing I found with my pedometer, definitely invest in the strap that clips onto your pants. My first pedometer found its way into the toilet, but I can't count the number of times the second one fell off my pants but because I had that strap, it caught the pedometer. Whenever I'm wearing jeans, it never registers correctly.

Right now I'm looking to buy a new waffle maker. The handle on my old one just broke off. But I know that one feature I definitely want is removeable plates. You know, there aren't too many with removeable plates. I did find one (and only one) made by Wolfgang Puck on Amazon for $99. There were some others that were upwards of $1,000 which may have had removeable plates, but I didn't even look at them.

I also need a new crock pot. The one I have I'd had since before I was married -- and I'm married 31 years! I know that some of the features that I would want is for it not to be stainless steel or brushed chrome (I'd really prefer a white or other color -- not black -- ceramic), it definitely needs to have a timer with a keep warm setting, I'd really like for it to have a locking lid and I'd like it to be round rather than oblong. I don't think I'm asking too much, am I????

Michele
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely gorgeous here today. I was getting ready to go outside for a walk when my god-daughter and her dad stopped by. She wanted to go with me so I was happy to have a companion. She talked a mile a minute! I don't think she stopped once. I just don't get to see her as much as I used to. She stayed with me when she was a baby and her mom was working so we have a pretty close bond. She talked all about her softball team (especially her not getting on the team she wanted), school and her Irish Step Dance. She is in a parade in Charlotte next weekend.

Michelle: I had to buy a new crock pot too. When I got married they had just come out with the removable crocks which I have always loved. My BF said her mother has one that the crock doesn't come out. I certainly would use those crock pot liners if I had one of those. I use mine a lot, well more in the winter time. In the summer if I wanted to do a chicken, I'll put it out on the deck rail so it won't heat up the house.

Thanks for the muffin suggestion but since I don't have any bran in the house I'll not be making them today.

Well, I hope everyone has had a good day with good choices. Keep up the good work so that whenever your weigh in comes along you will be happy!

Cindy
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Michele: I bought a new crock pot last year - really it's a three in one crockpot. It's a Hamilton Beach with 2 qt, 4 qt and 6 qt bowls that fit into a base. It's really easy to clean and gives you the option of different size bowls. I finally had to get rid of my "harvest gold" crock pot that was 40 years old (wedding shower gift). Good luck in your search for a new one!

Have a good evening everyone.