Should I lose fat before weight training?

Options

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    No! Weight training will HELP you lose fat faster and replace the fat with beautiful, lean muscle! Start a well-rounded fitness routine NOW!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    No, just start now. Weight training is a great way to burn fat and more effective than cardio alone. Using both is great but weight training in my opinion is best. 3 workouts a week, circuit orientated with a rep range of 8-10, rest periods 40-60 seconds for 30-40 minutes.

Monday Chest and Back
    Tuesday do a high intensity circuit training session (your gym might have class)
    Wednesday Shoulders and Arms
    Thursday do a high intensity circuit training session
    Friday Legs
    Saturday do a high intensity circuit training session or do some (vinyasa yoga at the gym!)
    Sunday Rest

EDIT: Do you have P90X? If not, then buy it!
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    No, just start now. Weight training is a great way to burn fat and more effective than cardio alone. Using both is great but weight training in my opinion is best. 3 workouts a week, circuit orientated with a rep range of 8-10, rest periods 40-60 seconds for 30-40 minutes.

Monday Chest and Back
    Tuesday do a high intensity circuit training session (your gym might have class)
    Wednesday Shoulders and Arms
    Thursday do a high intensity circuit training session
    Friday Legs
    Saturday do a high intensity circuit training session or do some (vinyasa yoga at the gym!)
    Sunday Rest

EDIT: Do you have P90X? If not, then buy it!

I haven't got P90X, it looks intense! Good though!

My gym has metafit classes I will be taking part in at least twice a week, also hoping to do more running again!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible for a woman to look like a man in that respect, simply because men carry much more testosterone than women. In terms of muscles, men and women have the exact same muscles that we use for lifting, but the simple fact is that genetically we cannot get as big as men. If you are looking to tone up, my advice to you is to lift heavy and do less reps and always try to confuse the muscles. I highly recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting For Women." I am following that plan and I absolutely LOVE it! I am seeing a decrease in fat and my muscles are toning up.

I am looking at that book right now on Amazon and think I will buy it, I have heard many good things about it!

This is what I'm doing now. I love it!!! It's only been like 4 weeks, and I've seen tremendous changes. My um tush, looks like it's lifted 4 inches. My arms already look a lot better, and everything is tightening up. I think this is a great starting program, the first stage is pretty basic, and you shouldn't have any problem getting the staff to help show you the moves if you aren't familiar with them. You can also look the moves up on youtube before you get there, so you have an idea of what you should be doing.

Edited to add, I will probably do stronglifts 5x5 after I finish new rules.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Muscle eats fat, nomnomnom :laugh:
  • bluesx
    bluesx Posts: 21
    Options
    I have to agree with the members that says do both. I have found that it evens itself out you do cardio 2 or three times a week. Then do weights 2 or 3 times a week with some rest in there for your body.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I agree not possible to get huge muscles unless your doing steriods. I did powerlifting for 7 years in my youth and I looked awesome still had my curves, so do both cardio and weight they both serve a different purpose..:smile:
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi, It depends on what you want. I prefer to lose the weight then tone up. I know a lot of people who are overweight and hit the gym- they not only lose weight but gain muscle too. Don't over do the weights - you don't want to look masculine !

the only way you'd lean towards looking masculine is if you already look it or take a bunch of steriods...

Hit the gym! Weight lift! Muscle burns more calories when you're not working out... I usually have 2-3 days of heavy weight/strength training, but I'll still do some reps on a machine on cardio days...

Have fun!:drinker:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Definitely start now!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am re-joining the gym tomorrow and am wanting to start weight lifting. I have always admired women with strong muscular bodies and want to become one!
    However I am unsure whether to stick to cardio first to lose fat and then start weight training, or can I combine cardio and weight training? Will my body still come out looking the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I am a newbie when it comes to weights! :)

I started at the gym 10 months ago when I was almost 100lbs over weight. I started strength training 2 weeks later. I was just using the easiest machines until recently.

In August I started using the assisted pull-ups/triceps machine. At first I needed to use the top amount of assist--165lbs. I am currently using 115lbs of assist.

I can squat 90lbs on the freemotion cable assisted squat machine. A few weeks ago I started using the leg press--the one where you practically lay on your back--and I can press 208lbs.

my profile pic is from a few weeks ago. I went from having 'back boobs' to having a flat back with definition in my shoulders. I sure never had biceps before!!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I personally started diet change first, and then added cardio, then added weights. Didnt wont to burn myself out doing all the major changes at one time. I done cardio for 4 weeks and then added my weights in. Now I am cardio 5 days a week and weights 3 days a week.. Love it totally...
    Which ever you choose..Good Luck
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am re-joining the gym tomorrow and am wanting to start weight lifting. I have always admired women with strong muscular bodies and want to become one!
    However I am unsure whether to stick to cardio first to lose fat and then start weight training, or can I combine cardio and weight training? Will my body still come out looking the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I am a newbie when it comes to weights! :)

Yup start weights now. I like weights and cardio and I think both are beneficial. I did both even when I was obese, there is no reason to wait, just go at you own pace.

With weights you want to do enough that the last few reps are hard and you NEED the 60 second or so break before the next set. Starting out 10 reps is good, then as you get used to it there are more advanced routines like pyramids, circuits, super sets, etc. It's good to change it up once you get adjusted to doing it.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing, I am in the "morbidly obese" range and was planning on waiting a few months to lose more weight before starting with weights. But I'm capable of pushing myself pretty hard despite my size, and am getting antsy to start working out hard. Just not sure if it's better to lose another 20/30 pounds first.

I was told to do both. I too am morbidly obese. When I go to the gym I start with cardio and then switch to weights. I was also told that if I do both it has been shown to help with excess skin some.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Definitely start as soon as you can. I wish I had mixed up strength training with all the cardio I was doing when I started my health & fitness journey. I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly with a modest calorie deficit and 5 days of cardio but realised much later on that doing weight lifting as well would started the whole body recomposition process a lot sooner.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    Thanks again for all the posts and info!

I am hoping the gym staff are more helpful than they used to be and are able to get me started on strength training and show me how to use the equipment. If not I am sure I can find out for myself.

I am stronger than what I used to be but want to be a LOT stronger. :)

As everyone else mentioned, definitely start now and have fun! I love weight training and I've lowered my BF% purely with it. (I'm not a fan of cardio at the gym lol..) In the case that you don't find the staff to helpful, you can go over to bodybuilding.com they've got a database of exercises with videos so you can learn proper form and maybe find new ones to add to your workout. Its a great resource too.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

For the weight machines, they usually have their instructions somewhere on the machine itself. All you have to do is adjust them to the weight you need.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy weight training! :flowerforyou:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hi!

However I am unsure whether to stick to cardio first to lose fat and then start weight training, or can I combine cardio and weight training?
    I waited and wish I hadn't.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Thanks again for all the posts and info!

I am hoping the gym staff are more helpful than they used to be and are able to get me started on strength training and show me how to use the equipment. If not I am sure I can find out for myself.

I am stronger than what I used to be but want to be a LOT stronger. :)

As everyone else mentioned, definitely start now and have fun! I love weight training and I've lowered my BF% purely with it. (I'm not a fan of cardio at the gym lol..) In the case that you don't find the staff to helpful, you can go over to bodybuilding.com they've got a database of exercises with videos so you can learn proper form and maybe find new ones to add to your workout. Its a great resource too.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

For the weight machines, they usually have their instructions somewhere on the machine itself. All you have to do is adjust them to the weight you need.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy weight training! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! I will go check the exercises out so I have an idea of what I am doing. :D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do both........cardio and strength compliment each other.
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bumping for the link!!
  • Voserichard
    Options
    You should start off by doing both. I would recommend a three days of circuit training with cardiovascular training in between.