Single Mom leaves no tip

Options

Replies

• shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    why has this become such a BIG trend....showing tip reciepts???
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options

Thanks for the info "skygoddess"

I think it's a big thread because we have a serious amount of service workers on MFP, as well, opinions are like a** holes, everyone has one.
  • lqlucas81
    Options

Thanks for the info "skygoddess"

I think it's a big thread because we have a serious amount of service workers on MFP, as well, opinions are like a** holes, everyone has one.

exactly...I like hearing the opinions of others
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

wow, totally agree! If it is actually pretty much compulsory, why not just have it automatically included and be done with it?

I DESPISE when gratuities are automatically added. I am a generous tipper, but I will tip less for poor service. It seems like the quality of service dips drastically when tips are added into the bill, and the server is guaranteed the tip.
  • for_emmalyn
    Options
    i don't know if that person should be fired for putting it online, besides the signature, which does not tell you the persons name legibly. I'm not sure if that would be legal grounds to fire anyways.

I will tell you this, I've left completely different amounts of tips, for different reasons, NEVER because of a "personal" reason, like being a single guy that has to pay rent on his own, or some other b.s.

I've left tips that cost more than the meal, if the waiter/waitress did an awesome job and really made me feel good dining there. I've also left a quarter(25 cents), rather than leave nothing. I was taught if you leave nothing, it's possible they(waiter/waitress) might just think you "forgot' to leave a tip. I leave the quarter so they know I didn't forget, and i only do that with horrible service.

Sometimes I feel a lot of waiters/waitresses just flat out expect a decent tip, regardless of the service, as though they'd become so use to getting a tip regardless. Sorry sweetheart, you have to earn my tip, but if you do, you might be going home saying, ":some guy left me a tip that was bigger than his whole bill'. Same for the fella's, treat me right, and I'll tip you as good as that waitress, period.

side note: Why do as a society feel obligated to tip only at non fast food restaurants? I've never worked a day of fast food in my life, but could possibly agrue they work harder than waiters and waitresses, just my opinion.

i agree 100% i tip the same way when i go out and i was taught the same then regarding horrible service. minimum wage is just that: the minimum in which a person can be paid if they are recieving less than that (i.e. $2.00/hr) that is ILLEGAL. as far as the receipt being put up online with all the info fuzzed out ...if she cannot 'afford a tip' what money is there to take anyway?
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    For all those posters asking which states have the lowest minium wage, here' a listing by state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._minimum_wages

The federal minimum wage is set at $7.25. However, for tipped positions, it remains at $2.13. Obviously most states have minimum wages above these standards.

My home state of Washington is the big winner at $9.04 per hour.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Who cares if people tip or not. I feel a tip should only be left if you feel the service was good and of course if the food was nice too.
    But it seems to a thing you are expected to do, in England we are not expected to tip everywhere!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    B!&@^ .... Leave at minimum of 15%. I leave at least 20% unless they are really bad. I waitressed my way through college. My hourly rate was $1.85 PLUS TIPS. I'd have never been able to survive if it weren't for the tips, and there were still far too many ramen noodle meals in there!
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If she spent that much on a meal then the excuse of " single mom,sorry" is BS! You can spend that much then you can give a tip, they have to make a living too. But I don't think the waiter should have scanned the receipt and posted it online. Me & my husband barely make enough to eat out once in a while and to us $30 is a lot but we still leave a tip.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    Damn Jaime, you guy's and Oregon got it going on, California really is sinking into the Pacific, lol
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    Damn Jaime, you guy's and Oregon got it going on, California really is sinking into the Pacific, lol

We also have the highes gas taxes in the country so it's not all roses and sunshine!
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    B!&@^ .... Leave at minimum of 15%. I leave at least 20% unless they are really bad. I waitressed my way through college. My hourly rate was $1.85 PLUS TIPS. I'd have never been able to survive if it weren't for the tips, and there were still far too many ramen noodle meals in there!

Here's my new question: Why do people take such low paying jobs, I just don't get.

I understand times are hard right now, and have been for a few yrs, but I hear a lot of people speaking in past tense, why take a job for $1,85 an hour, just boggles my mind.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

We also have the highes gas taxes in the country so it's not all roses and sunshine!

lol, surely aint sunshine! lol
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    Here's my new question: Why do people take such low paying jobs, I just don't get.

I understand times are hard right now, and have been for a few yrs, but I hear a lot of people speaking in past tense, why take a job for $1,85 an hour, just boggles my mind.

I'd say it comes down to three factors:

1) Availability - Are there any other jobs that pay better that you can get based on your current circumstances.
    2) Skills - Do you have the right abilities and knowledge to get a better paying job.
    3) Motivation - Do you have the drive to find or keep a better paying job?
  • SeaRunner26
    Options

Oh come on, Joe. We have at least one day per year where we can kind of make out a bright spot in the sky behind the clouds and rain.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.
    I was out to dinner in NY and the waiter followed us out to the sidewalk when we left because he didn't like the tip we gave him. It was 15% of the meal. I was appalled and embarrassed at the same time.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

Oh come on, Joe. We have at least one day per year where we can kind of make out a bright spot in the sky behind the clouds and rain.

Lol, and we have one day a year down here where it rains, and I become a baby and get a cold, sniffle sniffle..........
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.
    I was out to dinner in NY and the waiter followed us out to the sidewalk when we left because he didn't like the tip we gave him. It was 15% of the meal. I was appalled and embarrassed at the same time.

Wow, I probably would of knocked him out, and took back the 15% I gave him, what nerve! Wow........
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options

For one thing, I graduated high school in 1988. At 18, with no experience, it was the only job I could get that I could work full-time around my class schedule. I had too much self-respect to be a stripper, so I waitressed. Even after I graduated, it took me a year to find a job. That job only paid $14K a year, so I had to keep waitressing part-time to make ends meet for 3 years until I had enough experience to move on to a higher paying position.

Don't look down on people who work in low-paying positions. Their circumstances may be alot different than you think. And it's just plain unbecoming.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

The amount of tip I give is directly proportional to the service. I use 15% as a base and it goes up or down from there per the service I received. Once in New Orleans, I received such poor service (and we were the only ones at the restaurant at the time, it was right after lunch) I left a penny on the table. Now, the way I leave a penny is not just simply place a penny on the table, that could mean I forgot the coin while searching for bills. I place a full glass of water upside down on the table, over the penny. That way the waiter (yes, it was a guy) knows he pissed me off. It's a neat trick I learned. Easy to do but creates a mess when attempting to remove the glass of water with the insulting tip. I've only done it once. That's how mad I was with his service. Don't mess with me!
This discussion has been closed.