Does it bother you...

Options

Replies

• Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There is very little that bothers me these days :-) Yes, I do have some pet peeves, but these are just silly little things and I am quite able to laugh at my own silliness :-)

I think if something other people say genuinely bothers me (and it doesn't only apply to food and fitness related issues), I tend to reflect on WHY I have this strong reaction. In my own experience, if something someone says gets under my skin, it tends to be worth thinking about and often times I get something valuable out of it e.g. some weaknesses in my character that could do with some work, some suppressed fear or other things worth dealing with.

:flowerforyou:
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When i first started dieting i was put on a 1,400 kcal diet. I had to plan my own meals depending on my cooking skills and according to the foods i liked. I started eating lots and lots and LOTS of veggies, and it was hard to get over 1,000 kcal a day. That was until i got MFP and a food scale, and stated measuring everything, and of course i realised i was below what i should have been eating. But let me tell you, i used to feel absolutely stuffed. Back then i was almost morbidly obese (though i was losing a lot of weight oer month, due to eating such a small amount of calories and fat) and wasn't exercising as much as i am now, simply because i was too large. But i didn't feel like i was starving myself at all. Actually, i felt i was overeating all the time!

So no. I don't feel bothered by those eating a few calories per day. Also, as your weightloss progresses, you feel like your stomach shrinks, and you feel you can't eat as much as you used to. It has to be psychological, but that's the feeling you get. Plus, you're eating foods that make you feel full faster.

My advice is not to pay attention to other people's eating habits, diet plans or food choices. Focus on the path you followed to choose. Some people might be facing eating disorders eithout being aware they have them or just not be completely adjusted to new healthy habits.. So they don't know exaclt how much food their bodies are needing. Sooner or later they'll have to eat more if their bodies need fuel, and you'll meet people who can look thin eating huge food portions, and others who get fat by just taking a look at anything edible.

Sooner than you think you'll be eating loads of food to fuel your body because of the hard exercise routines you'll be doing per day!

I have a lot of pet peeves,but the one you mentioned isn't on my list :)

Focus on being healthy and happy! Best of luck and strenght :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    when your stomach starts to shrink,you really do not want any more food,,,, once you are a big eater, and start to slow down,it gradually is telling you this,,,,,,,,

Yes this. When I watch my calories I can definitely eat at or just above 1200 no problem. I'm not saying it is a ton of food and I'm not saying I don't ever go over, but I can do it without feeling like I am starving. With that said (mostly at the prompting of these types of threads) I have upped my calories a bit to a little over 1300. That also might not seem like a lot to some, but sometimes it is not really about amount of food it is about the kind of foods one eats. For instance, I can eat a whole bunch of baked eggplant with vegan cheese and red sauce as a meal and it is so low calorie I end up having to eat peanut butter at the end of the day to reach my caloric goals. Some of us have never been in the habit of eating a whole lot either so our stomachs have always been relatively small (that is not a judgement to anyone else that is just a fact). I am one of these people; I have never been pregnant and/or I have never been overweight (by my standards I have been overweight, but by BMI standards I haven't). I have pointed this out before (and I'm starting to feel like I am an official advocate for the small here) but MFP is diverse. Some of us only have a few pounds to lose and we are looking to fine tune our bodies more than shave off lots of pounds so 100 calories and macros can be very important us. I want to encourage everyone not berate the small/those closest to their goal. This place should supportive to everyone.

I also want to add that I have seen this a lot here on the forums. Why is it that people assume when others post about their own bodies and experiences that they are directing these posts towards others/judging others? I never assume someone is talking about me when they post their comments about their own experiences/bodies. This thread is a good example of this, the OP said that when 1200 calorie people talk about it being a lot of food the implication from the person who posts something like that is that if you go above that you are "lazier and have less willpower". I find that odd. Everyone is on their own journey and everyone is different. With regard to this topic when you are smaller and you eat less your stomach shrinks and it may indeed seem like a lot of food--I usually take people at their word. I honestly think people are just genuinely sharing their own experiences without bias and without judgement towards others.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't bother me. I could care less. I'm only worried about how my body responds to the exercise and nutrition that I'm providing to it. Not in a selfish way, but in a kind of - everybody is different - sort of way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What bothers me are the people who eat pork chops for breakfast and think that they are on a diet because they count the calories!

Huh?

Is there some law about breakfast food I don't know of?

I get the point of the statement. Even if you count calories, you won't lose if you ate...say a giant slice of chocolate cake and soda for every meal.

Well to an extent I suppose. If it was only one slice and that was all you ate maybe you'de lose still. but you'de be unhappy and unhealthy.

as for pork, I personally don't really touch it. But I have no issue with meat for breakfast.:wink:

Sure you'll lose if you're eating at a deficit. But pork chops is not a can of soda and a piece of cake.

I don't eat any meat at all, but there's no reason it's unhealthy to eat pork chops for breakfast.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Finally got around to rereading this thread and seeing the responses. I find it interesting that many of you assume that I'm getting defensive or that this is a manifestation of a personal issue for me...it's not. There are SOME people on here who eat 1200 or less who are rude and condescending about it. There is an implied moral superiority because they're able to eat far less than everyone else and be "stuffed." I'm not saying EVERY person who eats that amount acts that way, but you can't say you haven't run into people on this board that do.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Finally got around to rereading this thread and seeing the responses. I find it interesting that many of you assume that I'm getting defensive or that this is a manifestation of a personal issue for me...it's not. There are SOME people on here who eat 1200 or less who are rude and condescending about it. There is an implied moral superiority because they're able to eat far less than everyone else and be "stuffed." I'm not saying EVERY person who eats that amount acts that way, but you can't say you haven't run into people on this board that do.

Actually, yes, I can say that I haven't. I haven't.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options

Well lucky you. :) I've seen people on the "eat more" side of the fence get attacked because they don't want to eat 1200.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Well lucky you. :) I've seen people on the "eat more" side of the fence get attacked because they don't want to eat 1200.

but so what.. it's just the internet. these "attacks" arent real. people dont have to agree with what other people are doing .

i dont understand why people take things so personally. if someone were to tell me that they think i'm eating too much (which they have) then whether or not i take that as a personal attack is my choice. i figure so what THEY think i'm eating too much. im an adult so why would i care what someone else thinks about what i do or don't eat, that's obviously their issue if they have nothing better to worry about than what i'm eating :laugh: it's not like people are swooping in like ninjas into my apartment and smacking food out of my hands. THAT'S an attack. an opinion is just an opinion especially when it's coming as a general sweeping statement made by strangers.
    and so what if they think they are morally superior? you seem to think you're superior to them for eating more than 1200 calories :tongue:

but really if something someone says or does pushes your button, the thing to remember is that it's YOUR button. the best way to avoid being bothered is to get rid of the button, not expect others to tiptoe around it
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Because it's scientifically proven that eating too few calories is bad for you, and the people who are 'attacking' probably aren't attacking but being concerned.

You put it out there, you have to deal with the response.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Nope, why would it bother me when someone is eating 1200 and losing weight while I eat 1500-1600 and do the same.

Either way, I mostly just mind my own business and expect other to do same if advise is not asked.
  • MirandaLynne93
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree with gauchogirl on this one. Unless they directly insulted you, then no it wouldn't bother me. I can understand how it would be annoying, for sure. I know when I was heavier and I would see skinny chicks eat a wafer and some lettuce and say they're full, I would think "there's no fu**ing way they are anywhere near satiated" but now that I am living a healthier lifestyle and making better choices when it comes to food and fitness, and can see how 1200 calories would be enough. Granted there are those days where I want to eat my bodyweight in fudge brownie ben and jerry's but those days are few and far between.
    When you start to get used to eating less and less and working out more your stomach shrinks. When you lose weight you no longer need as much food to support yourself because there is not longer as much "you to support".

Basically, if someone is "stuffed" from their salad and your stomach is still gurgling, just eat more and remember that their bodies have different caloric needs and they have different appetites. As you continue with your fitness and whatnot you'll notice your eating patterns will change too and you will no longer crave as much or need to eat as much to feel satiated.
  • MirandaLynne93
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree with gauchogirl on this one. Unless they directly insulted you, then no it wouldn't bother me. I can understand how it would be annoying, for sure. I know when I was heavier and I would see skinny chicks eat a wafer and some lettuce and say they're full, I would think "there's no fu**ing way they are anywhere near satiated" but now that I am living a healthier lifestyle and making better choices when it comes to food and fitness, and can see how 1200 calories would be enough. Granted there are those days where I want to eat my bodyweight in fudge brownie ben and jerry's but those days are few and far between.
    When you start to get used to eating less and less and working out more your stomach shrinks. When you lose weight you no longer need as much food to support yourself because there is not longer as much "you to support".

Basically, if someone is "stuffed" from their salad and your stomach is still gurgling, just eat more and remember that their bodies have different caloric needs and they have different appetites. As you continue with your fitness and whatnot you'll notice your eating patterns will change too and you will no longer crave as much or need to eat as much to feel satiated.

Oh and btw, I'm on the 1200 calorie plan. But there are plenty of days I got over a bit. But it's all balanced out by my workouts. You need to remember that the calorie goals are net calories. So you could eat 2000 calories, as long as you burn off at least 800.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that since I started MFP, I don't get as hungry. When I ate more, i was hungry more often(wierd!). I'm also probably older than many on here and not as active! I'm trying to make better choices and found that i can still eat enough to stay full. I think someone else mentioned what I 've been thinking--I now ask myself, "am I hungry", rather than "am I full."
  • rml_16
    Options

Actually, what I've seen is people ask how to be satisified on 1,200 calories a day and then a bunch of people come in and tell that person how "stupid" it is to only eat 1,200 calories and day and be kind of nasty about it and insist that because eating 1,800-3,000 calories a day works for them (usually people who are taller and lift weights every day), then everyone should be doing THAT and the people who are successful on 1,200 a day feel insulted and defensive and it turns into a pissing match.

I have never seen anyone start out insulting people eating more just because they eat more.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options

Actually, what I've seen is people ask how to be satisified on 1,200 calories a day and then a bunch of people come in and tell that person how "stupid" it is to only eat 1,200 calories and day and be kind of nasty about it and insist that because eating 1,800-3,000 calories a day works for them (usually people who are taller and lift weights every day), then everyone should be doing THAT and the people who are successful on 1,200 a day feel insulted and defensive and it turns into a pissing match.

I have never seen anyone start out insulting people eating more just because they eat more.

I know some people are rude in the way they try to convince people on here to eat more, but I feel like you're exaggerating a little. Many of us aren't telling them to eat 1800-3000 a day -- I cannot eat that much and lose. But 1400-1700 is realistic, and that has been politely suggested by others, including me. And it's not just tall people who advocate this, I'm short (5'3) and I lose eating more than 1200 calories. I hope I've never come off as rude, and I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences with people who have.

But the rudeness goes BOTH ways, because I have seen people who eat at 1200, and sometimes lower, acting like they're better than everyone else because they have the discipline to eat less. There was a thread where someone did this just a few weeks ago and a lot of people were offended. Acting like your side is the ONLY side that has issues on this site is unfair.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where the idea that there is implied moral superiority is coming from. If you were talking to them personally I could see that coming across in maybe their tone of voice or their mannerisms, but on a chat forum? If all they are saying is that they get full eating 1200, why is there implied superiority?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    it pisses me off to no end.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    you know what? i think this is a hard, long journey for everyone, and we are all at different places in it. being satisfied with where one is in their journey in no way suggests that people at another point in the journey are failures.
  • wanda9501
    Options
    When I started this journey I decided on a 1200 cal plan. In the six weeks I have been doing it, my stomach has shrunk and in turn IF/WHEN I go over, it makes my stomach hurt. I have noticed that I do get full faster. Dinner tonight was 1/2 baked potatoe with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and bottle of water, I was full and satified and didn't want dessert (big deal for me).

Some ppl may brag others may just be commenting. I had a "friend" on this site that enformed everyone that if she could'nt see our food diary's she would delete us. I wished her well and deleted her, because I felt that it was none of her business what I ate. So, if these comments are getting under your skin, delete them as your friends and get your peace of mind back.

Good luck all on your journey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!