How do you deal with aggressive cyclists?

Options

Replies

• plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I run against the traffic, so at least I can see the idiots coming, and keep to the side of the road; it's not like I'm dancing all over the shop disrupting their way sooo... How do you handle them? Ignore?

Perhaps your problem is that you are running against traffic. Personally if I was on "MY" side of the road and you were coming at me, I would aim at you too! Just sayin, courtesy works both ways!
    It was my understanding that it is correct protocol to run against the traffic so you can SEE cars coming at you. I live in Argentina where drivers pass narrowly at the best of times. I'm not comfortable with them approaching where I can't see them. Also... how do I avoid them if I can't see where they're at?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I love how so many of you here think cyclists should be courteous to everyone else but you're quick to suggest throwing a stick in our spokes and potentially kill us. I don't ever want to hit a pedestrian but if I have to choose between that and getting hit by a car...guess which choice I'll make.
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They seriously aim their bikes at you? I don't believe I'd be jumping out of the way. Sounds like assault to me and that you would be justified in defending yourself. I think pepper spray or a ballbat between the spokes would get your point across.
    Seriously?
    I am just using this as a quote (I could have picked others)
    As a runner and cyclist I am concerned about this negativity. We all need to get up and stay out of each others way. I can feel what you are saying , but encouraging to hurt somebody on purpose is just like... 3rd grade / your picture shows that you should have past that level.

As said: Being a runner I run against traffic to avoid cyclist and cars that might have not seen me.

As a cyclist I can not see how I would try to hit somebody on purpose to get my "point" across, that this would be my space...
    In all seriousness, If I hit a runner I will fly off my bike and going an average of 20mph that fall will hurt and my training season could be over, I am way to selfish to let that happen. I have to worry enough about cars and potholes

come on people tone it down and lets really get at the evil lazy car drivers...
    (Oh that is me on my commute to work)
  • sortasandy
    Options
    When there's no sidewalk, pedestrians walk or run against the flow traffic so that they can see cars/bikes coming and get out of the way. Cyclists should not aim at pedestrians.

I'm thankful I live in a community where most people make an effort to get along and drive/walk/cycle defensively. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where someone *had* to make a choice between hitting a car, person, pedestrian, child, etc.
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    My favourite running route is a long, straight stretch of road with very little traffic. It's also very popular with cyclists who seem to think that they have more rights than I do. On more than on occasion I've been sworn at or been aimed at with their bikes and had to jump out of the way.
    I run against the traffic, so at least I can see the idiots coming, and keep to the side of the road; it's not like I'm dancing all over the shop disrupting their way sooo... How do you handle them? Ignore?

You are correct if running on a roadway or busy street I would run against the flow of traffic, however your posts suggests there is very little traffic, so you have no need to run against the flow of traffic if the cyclists are on their side of the roadway. I personally never run on the roads unless they are blocked off for an event. I stick to the trails, track, and sanctioned events.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I find the 'clothes line' wrestling move works even better on a cyclist

Simple physics say that both that and an elbow are a good way to end up with a broken arm...

Lets say you are 175lbs, moving at 6 mph (80 kg @ 2.75 m/s). The bicycle is 200 lbs moving at 20 mph (90 kg @ 9 m/s). You've got 220 kg m/s momentum. They have 810 kg m/s momentum. You are going to take most of the impact. Assume you take ALL the impact, going from +2.75 to -9 m/s. Your arm would be absorbing about 2000 N of force.
    That made me smile, but it IS very interesting, thank you :)

Ok, if you are traveling at 6 mph, you are not walking. Jogging perhaps, running perhaps, but not walking. As the slower of the two you would take a substantial jolt; however, the cyclist not only would have the impact from your elbow or clothesline, but the more substantial impact of the roadway they would probably being hitting full force after you make contact. Downside to the pedestrian, probably break your arm. Upside to the pedestrian, probably pick up a new bike that had only been dropped once.

I would recommend a bat, not to actually "strike" anyone, but the simple presence of you carrying a bat will cause others to "steer clear" of you (try it and see).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You need to run like you are; that is, against the traffic so you can see.
    I run and bike on a paved path that goes along the river here for about 30 and I experience the same thing. There is even a speed limit posted, of 15 miles per hour for bikes, and people routinely exceed it. They pass others when they shouldn't, swerving into the opposite lane and cutting people off. They swoop up behind you and pass without warning. They literally push runners off the path.
    But, what are you going to do? You are the one who would get hurt if they hit you, or if you tried to hit them.
    I would just get out of the way, and shame them with scolding.
    And, then keep running. Don't let rudeness stop you from doing what you need to do, and what you like.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    carry a stick and shove in between their front spokes, as they fly past
    Try that on me, or any cyclist I know and the stick would end up, let’s just say “inserted”. And you'd be walking funny for the rest of your born days.
    Try clothe lining me, and I will break your arm in several paces without a moments qualm. No matter how hard they try, runners and walkers find it impossible to walk/run in a straight line, which is why cyclists seem to aim at you. It’s because they are hoping that you’ll not be in that space when you wander the hell all over the pavement.
    Where I live, if you happen to see a car with a wing mirror on the passenger side dangling down or missing, chances are he pissed of a cyclist, lol.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    They seriously aim their bikes at you? I don't believe I'd be jumping out of the way. Sounds like assault to me and that you would be justified in defending yourself. I think pepper spray or a ballbat between the spokes would get your point across.

I like you!!! Cuz that's exactly what I was thinking

LOL and at the above poster..riding a schwinn does not make you a "biker" ...omg that was too "I'm such a badass" epic!
  • tadpole242
    Options
    carry a stick and shove in between their front spokes, as they fly past
    Try that on me, or any cyclist I know and the stick would end up, let’s just say “inserted”. And you'd be walking funny for the rest of your born days.
    Try clothe lining me, and I will break your arm in several paces without a moments qualm. No matter how hard they try, runners and walkers find it impossible to walk/run in a straight line, which is why cyclists seem to aim at you. It’s because they are hoping that you’ll not be in that space when you wander the hell all over the pavement.
    Where I live, if you happen to see a car with a wing mirror on the passenger side dangling down or missing, chances are he pissed of a cyclist, lol.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    A stick in the spokes?
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When you are running lower your shoulder and aim for their chest...you should sustain minimal damage and you'll knock them square off their bikes...give them the obligatory "YOU HIT ME!" and continue on your way.

I am both a runner and a cyclist. I approve this tactic.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just keep a bundle of shortened broomsticks in my passenger seat and then when I pass an agressive cyclist I simply throw one into their spokes. Takes the agressive right out of them.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    As a cyclist, nothing drives me crazier than a runner forcing me into traffic. It's much easier for you to make a little room running than for a cyclist who has to make sure he doesn't get hit by a car. Of course, I'm taking about roads without bike lanes here. If there is a bike lane, don't &**^%-ing run in it. If you are on a recreational path, the bikers should really be more courteous, but it does drive me nuts when people are ambling three abreast blocking the whole damn trail.

Now, I don't know what it's like to be a runner in these situations because I can't run or even walk long distances due to my knees. Everybody should probably have their own lane.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should try to avoid them. Nominally you should be moving in opposite directions on the same side of the road, so you'll see them coming. I'm not sure why you would expect them to move, these are basic share-the-road rules. They probably swerve to avoid you at the last minute because they justifiably expected you to yield to them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking, "Run over them with my pick-up."
  • tadpole242
    Options
    When you are running lower your shoulder and aim for their chest...you should sustain minimal damage and you'll knock them square off their bikes...give them the obligatory "YOU HIT ME!" and continue on your way.

I am both a runner and a cyclist. I approve this tactic.
    try it, see what it's like to be hit by a bike at 15mph, and then when you come out of hospital, to be sued for assult. I'm a runner and a cyclist and have seen the result from a runner/bike collision. Bent front wheel for the cyclist and badly broken arm and several ribs for the runner.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    A bag of marbles.... yep, that will help.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, they really do! I couldn't believe it myself. I don't think it's assault unless they actually hit me though, is it? Not keen to find out what that feels like and surely retaliation if they haven't hit me is also assault? :(

Actually, it would be battery if they truly hit you. Assault is when someone is threatening another to do bodily harm. Though I think it would be hard to prove in this case.
  • tadpole242
    Options
    I just keep a bundle of shortened broomsticks in my passenger seat and then when I pass an agressive cyclist I simply throw one into their spokes. Takes the agressive right out of them.
    Yes of course you do... LOL
    Who are you really? Buffy.