WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Michele: I bought a new crock pot last year - really it's a three in one crockpot. It's a Hamilton Beach with 2 qt, 4 qt and 6 qt bowls that fit into a base. It's really easy to clean and gives you the option of different size bowls. I finally had to get rid of my "harvest gold" crock pot that was 40 years old (wedding shower gift). Good luck in your search for a new one!

Have a good evening everyone.

This sounds nice, does it have a timer? Right now I have a timer that I plug into the wall, then plug the crockpot into the timer so it shuts off even if I'm not home. That's why I'm definitely wanting one with a timer.

My crock pot is so old that it doesn't have a removeable crock. Am really looking forward to getting one that has a crock that can be put in the refrig.

Michele
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Laura: your weekend sounds like mine. I too am up 2 lb this morning. I am angry with myself and today I just kept on being bad. I am now going to make a salad for supper instead of the pasta I was going to eat. I had a blt for breakfast and I had McDonald,s for lunch, How is that for going of the track. So hopefully I am over my 3 days of gluttony. I will likely be up again tomorrow.

I have to remember it is a life long battle

smwert:cry:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    As far as getting weighed after I have a bad day, (and lets face it, bad days usually happen on the weekends:angry: ) I have found it helps me to get weighed only once a week on Wednesday.:happy: This way if I'm off a little on the weekend, I have a couple of days to lose the water weight!:bigsmile: I know everyone is different and to some they need to get weighed right away as part of being accountable, but to me, getting weighed too much is discouraging. Even on good days…there can be some water retention. :grumble: This only works if you get right back on the wagon, of course, and it DOESN’T work for everybody. Being honest is the key!:flowerforyou:

Also, I saw a news clip about middle age women…. regarding drinking alcohol. (I still like to think of myself as middle age because I’m going to live to be 124:laugh: :laugh: ) They did a study that says drinking alcohol can help maintain your weight! Now they’re talking about ONLY 1-2 drinks a day (like red wine or light beer or drinks without soda, cream etc.). According to this study, the alcohol works, somehow, to keep your weight off better than if you ate the same amount of calories but with NO alcohol.:happy: Now, I don’t usually drink everyday, especially in the winter (I like a light beer on the deck with my hubby on summer nights). So, I like this report. :smile: :smile: Hmmm…summer is coming and the deck is calling!!!:laugh:

Had a good day with my food and managed to do okay at work without loosing my mind!!:noway: :flowerforyou:

Welcome to all those who are new and hang in there everyone!!!

God Bless!!!
    BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • Texemgirl
    Texemgirl Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi, Ladies! :smile:

I'm getting back on after being off for what seems like forever. :ohwell: But on the bright side, even though I haven't been posting, I'm still losing! :drinker:

My goal is to post my meals every day for the rest of March. I've improved in my goal of consuming more calories (of course, healthy calories); however, I'm struggling today ... will try to get in another 100-150 calories before I go to bed so that I can reach 1,000 calories for the day. Just had a treatment for my arthritis ...feeling pretty good for now. :bigsmile: Soooo, I've been able to do a few exercises every other day. I'm up to 10 minutes per session now, which is amazing for me! It feels GREAT! :laugh:

Will catch up more later!

Karen :flowerforyou:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi All,

Scanned posts am so tired I am going to bed but I did log my food and exercise I hope to have another loss this week even if it is very small!

Lynn:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • constancemwj
    Options
    just a quick Hi before I jump into bed...
    tomorrow is my weighin.. aaauuugghhhh!!!!!! and the last couple days I've been rotton,,, I've managed to stay within my calories but my choices haven't been the best lately..I'll be shocked if I'm down. My daughter desided she needed to make brownies tonight and I had to have one,,, well maybe two. i should go get on the treadmill to burn them off before bed but probably won't.:laugh: ..I'ts been rainy and cold here,,,, I think that has something to do with my mood,,,,, i'm so ready for spring so i can get out more and into my garden and much neglected yard....

Have a great day tomorrow and I'll let you all know how I did. and thanks for all the laughts I guess I need to remove all the magnets from my fridge.... do you think it would help keeping me out of it:????:laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I just realized that the "recent foods" you can't delete things from. There's this one kind of beef jerky that I'm pretty sure they've discontinued and I'd like to delete it from that list, but I can't. Oh well...... if I don't enter it for a while, will it go to the end of the list?

You are right about this, Michelle, it will roll to the back and drop off as you entered new foods for that meal.

And, BTW, I vote for telling that Y Board "adios" and moving to the one where you feel more comfortable.

Birdie-- THANKYOU!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: For your comment about drinking and maintaining weight that is!! I don't do it to excess, but after reading all the ingredients in cold medication and knowing I can't take most of it safely, because of my high blood pressure, and not wanting to take a chance since I have a neighbor who just had a stroke:cry: -- I am a treating my cold with a shot of red wine at bedtime, so it was nice to hear that it might actually HELP in other areas as well. :bigsmile:

I think I mentioned the unsettled weather we were expecting today. Well, it arrived. This morning it was beautiful, blue sky sunshine. Took my mom to her doctors' appointment, dropped off documents at the tax preparer's office, then went and ordered a set of lenses for the glasses that got ruined when I took my infamous January tumble. Funny how I can't remember lots of things, but I haven't forgotten that:frown:

Anyway, I got home about 2 and it was still nice out so I packed up the critters and drove to the doggie park. About 10 minutes into the stroll around the area, that is like a big oval, a cloud went behind the sun. The wind came up, B-R-R-R-R-R, and then, as God is my witness it SNOWED!!! Only for about a minute, really, that was all, but it DID SNOW. So finished two circles, and since it was still cold and not much sun, I packed it in and headed for home. I live 5 miles west of the doggie park. By the time I got home, the sun was back out and it was almost too warm for a coat!!! Ahh Yes. "Washington, where, if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes!!!"

There are others I should comment on, but I am packing it in early tonight as I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Good night all.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Just a quick note to say we got home safely.......and Barb was right about the weather.....it was snowing in Seattle when we landed, then clear and sunny, and then snowed hard most of the way from the Hood Canal Bridge, and then blue skies in "sunny Sequim" where it is now slightly below freezing. We got home in time to get the naughty poodles who were beside themselves with joy. I'll get the cats in the morning. I walked over 10,000 steps in the airport since we got there more than two hours early.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and stayed within my calories ....now it's time for bed.
    :heart: :smooched: hugs:smooched: :heart: Barbie
  • conniegb
    conniegb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This looks like such a great, supportive group! This is a challenging time of life to plan to lose weight, but it is great to hear of the success of others. The encouragement, along with knowing that we are not alone, are a help! Thank you!:smile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Birdie I was glad to hear about the wine too. I don't drink much but do like an occasional glass of wine. Now I can have it without beating myself up.

I hope we have good weather for another day.

Welcome to all the newbies.

I'm really off to see my mother today. (I didn't make it the last time I said I was going) First I need to get in 30 min of exercise and get Granny a bath.

My daughter & I will probably go to see Alice in Wonderland today. I'll let you know what I think of it this evening. My son has been already & he wasn't very impressed. I hope that doesn't cloud my judgement.

Cindy
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcomes. Had a good day yesterday and stayed within my calories despite giving in to temptaion and having a chocolate biscuit. Today will be more of a challege as we're going to see Barbara ****son in concert and planning to have dinner at Pizza Express beforehand. I will have a look at the calorie details on line and try to make the best choices .
    Have a good day.
  • jas1957
    jas1957 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!

I started my weight loss journey on January 5, 2010 & have lost 25 lbs so far. I hope I can continue this pattern. I hope everyone is well. My goals for March will be to walk more often & lose at least 5-7 lbs. Hope everyone has a wonderful week.

God Bless!!

JoAnn:drinker:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    My son has hijacked the computer and my time while he's home so I haven't been logging in. Despite walking 8 miles over the past 2 days, i've gained. UGH!
    I am frustrated. I really hate having to watch every morsel etc. Until recently, I have never stayed over 140 pounds for more than a few days in my life (except for being pregnant). I just feel like I can't do this. When I look in the mirror to put in my contacts etc , I can also see myself aging by the minute - right before my eyes.:grumble: I guess this is menopause.
    Anyway, it is amazing to see how well all of you have done despite also being over 50. I don't get it. I obviously need to change somehting. I am usually upbeat and I am actually pretty happy w/life right now (my kids are good so I'm good), but I guess I just don't want to make sacrifices. :ohwell: Upping the exercise isn't really a solution because I seem to always end up w/tendonitis or something that requires anti-inflammatory meds, dr visits and physical therapy - so a just a little counterproductive.
    Enough ranting. Need to start on my son't taxes. That ought to really drive me to eat! (if not drink):laugh:
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Michele: My crock pot does not have a timer, but you can certainly put the bowls in the frig.

Bad day today...week 10 of a diet with exercise and still no weight loss. Realy getting frustrated and just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. How much exercise (time-wise) are all of you doing a day? Maybe I am not at it long enough.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Afternoon everyone .... plus Newbies!! ...... Once again a lovely day today. It was - 4 C though last night when Peter came back from work.

On MFP today...:smile: I've been good so far ... but again it's the evenings when Peter's at work ,that I fall flat on my face. Last night..:embarassed: I resorted to toast and marmite, a banana sandwich, shredded wheat ...not too bad on it's own with semi skimmed milk but I just had to have some :frown: cream and sugar too !!! All in all I was only 25 calories over but it felt wrong eating it all for the sake of eating ...if you know what I mean.Today I haven't done any exercise :indifferent: so have nothing to "play" with where calories are concerned .... Help!!! I'll let you all know how I get on!!

You've mentioned crock pots ... We've not long bought an electric slow cooker (Same ..??) and tonight we've got a lovely beef and veg stew prepared by my DH. Always tastes better when someone else does it!! It's been great cooking things in it but I do find that it could have more settings and a timer.

I too, read about the benefits of :bigsmile: drinking red wine daily!! just my kind of article! The women who had drunk red wine lost weight and inches quicker than those that didn't .... says it all really ,doesn't it!! I hark back to the finishing things that were started! ... was it a bottle of Merlot? I know that there's red wine in the stew tonight ...don't know whether that counts!!

I'm still wrapped up like a mummy :frown: with Ibuleve Gel and a scarf ,trying to keep my neck warm. Trouble is Mum sees the scarf and keeps asking me if we're going out . She keeps getting her coat and shoes on! We did take her out to the shops this afternoon and since we've been back she keeps looking for the "lady" that drove the car. :laugh: That lady is me but never mind!!!
    Because I changed her bed yesterday she thinks there are other people coming to stay in it and once again keeps moving her "bits" on her trolley. We definitely can't tell her she's off to respite care next Monday ... until Monday!!

Anyway .... Keep up the good work folks. Maintaining, losing ... maybe a little detour but then getting back on track.
    Thanks for being there ..... looking over my shoulder and whispering ..."Do you really need to eat that?" ... Trouble is... I can switch off the hearing aids!!! :laugh: No... only kidding ..it's my mum that can do that!!

BFN:heart:
    Jackie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello All,

Welcome back Barbie. I wish I had been wrong about the weather in your area. It is supposed to be just a unsettled here today, but so far the sun is out and everything is quiet.

So much for getting to bed early, getting lots of sleep and going back to work. I woke up this morning and when I tried to talk to the doggies, I sounded like a cross between Kermit the frog and the wicked witch of the west. If I went to work and called any of our customers, they would probably mistake me for an obscene caller and hang up, so I had to call in and take today off. I HOPE my voice returns tomorrow as I don't want to burn up anymore paid time off on health-related things. Our paid time off is one big bucket, sick and vacation together. You can only access it as you earn it through the year, so I am keeping an eye on things since I intended to take time off in April.

Cindy mentioned seeing "Alice In Wonderland." I haven't seen the new version of of it, but it reminded me I wanted to ask --has anyone had seen "Avatar?" The trailers I have seen don't make me want to see it. I am really not into science fiction, and I have a friend pressuring me to go see it--says it is so wonderful she wants to see it a second time--insists you have to see it on big screen, but not 3-D as you get a headache. I am curious as to what others on here might think.

Jackie--Don't recall why you have your neck wrapped up, but I hope you are feeling better soon.

Welcome to the newbies.

If you can stand one more "shaggy dog" story, here it is. This time the "star" or culprit:wink: is Mai Li (newbies, that is the Lhasa Apso pictured in my avatar photo). She apparently has been watching Bradley devour those sandwich thins that he likes to pilfer from my work tote bag. So yesterday the bag was sitting on the floor in my bathroom, where I had locked it up when I went out earlier on Monday, but when I returned, the bathroom door was left open. I heard some "rustling" of plastic while I was in the living room, but I didn't get up right away to investigate. By the time I did, she had polished off two of them and taken a major bite out of number three. I ended up taking the last one and dividing it up and giving a bit to all three of them. It is fortunate that I no longer put a whole package in my tote bag, or she would have scored a bigger "feast."

My "naughty little piggies" are alive and well. Mercifully, they are not too active this morning, as I am not interested in going out right now due to my illness.

I must share a "funny" that I ran across elsewhere on MFP. Some of you may be familiar with the "Man to Man" thread. I confess to reading it now and again, and a time or two I have actually posted a comment, but I mostly like to leave them alone to play in their clubhouse "no girls allowed" etc.:laugh:

Anyway, the talk had turned to the effects of diet on flatulence, and someone posted a story about being in a restaurant and feeling the need to relieve a little pressure, and figuring since the music was loud, he would "let go" in time to the music when it was at its loudest. He soon felt better, but then noticed everyone staring at him--seems he forgot the music he was listening to was coming from his IPOD!!! OOPS!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I will probably peak in here later to see what is new. Have a good week, all.

Barb
  • Texemgirl
    Options

I feel GREAT today! It's been a week now that I've been in the 120s (129.5 - 128), so I believe I can officially say I weigh in the 120s! YEAH!!! I'm so happy with the scale that I could almost kiss it!!! :smooched: I have just 2 lbs to go and I can officially say I have lost 100 lbs. I say "officially" because the first time I weighed in on the doctor's scale it said 226, but I had been dieting for 1.5 months before that but I didn't weigh myself ... I just couldn't face the reality. :frown: BTW, I weigh with clothes on and my doctor's scale and my scale weigh the exact same. My goal for March is to get those 2 lbs off. Here's to achieving my goal! :drinker:

So far today I have posted my breakfast. When I am finished here, I'm going to exercise. I am going to aim for 15 minutes today. I just KNOW I can do it! :bigsmile:

Constancemwj, good luck on your weigh-in! I hope the scale is kind to you. Sorry that you gave into temptation with the brownies, but it's not the end of the world. I know! :grumble:

Barb, you have unbelievable weather! How do you know how to dress for the day? Sorry to hear you've had a cold. :cry: So glad you are staying away from OTC cold meds with your HBP. Smart! I didn't know that about red wine either. Good to know!

Barbie, congrats on getting your 10K steps in while at the airport ... very constructive use of your time! :bigsmile: Glad you made it home safely!

Welcome, Cgbowen! :happy:

Cindy, sounds like you have a busy day! Hope you enjoy Alice in Wonderland!

Denise, so happy you had a good day yesterday! :bigsmile: Good luck on your challenge tonight at Pizza Express. You might want to consider eating a little something at home before going out to dinner. That's what I do ...it helps me stay focused on my long-term goal and helps me avoid instant gratification that I'll feel sorry about later. Just a thought. Have fun at the concert!

JoAnn, CONGRATS on your success!!! You are smoookin'! :smokin: That is awesome weight loss, and I KNOW you will continue to do well!

Zaza54, I am sooo sorry about your gain ... I can empathize with your frustration. :sad: I've been there. All I can say is hang in there ... it WILL happen!!! I am very happy to hear that your children are good. What a blessing!

Spaniel, that stupid scale! :grumble: Have you lost any inches? I'd rather lose inches than pounds. Do make sure your meals/snacks are balanced with protein, carbs and fat? If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Jackie, great start of a day ... keep it up! :bigsmile: My doctor wanted me to drink red wine every day ... wish I liked it! Since I don't drink alcohol, he said to drink red grape juice. Of course, it's not my favorite, so I stopped. I wonder if red grape juice would do the same thing. Anyone know? So sorry about your mom. :cry: Hugs to you. ROFL about turning the hearing aids off! That is too funny!

Well, it's time for lunch and then exercise! Have a GREAT day everyone!

• weaklink109
    Options

I feel GREAT today! It's been a week now that I've been in the 120s (129.5 - 128), so I believe I can officially say I weigh in the 120s! YEAH!!! I'm so happy with the scale that I could almost kiss it!!! :smooched: I have just 2 lbs to go and I can officially say I have lost 100 lbs. I say "officially" because the first time I weighed in on the doctor's scale it said 226, but I had been dieting for 1.5 months before that but I didn't weigh myself ... I just couldn't face the reality. :frown: BTW, I weigh with clothes on and my doctor's scale and my scale weigh the exact same. My goal for March is to get those 2 lbs off. Here's to achieving my goal! :drinker:....

Barb, you have unbelievable weather! How do you know how to dress for the day? Sorry to hear you've had a cold. :cry: So glad you are staying away from OTC cold meds with your HBP. Smart! I didn't know that about red wine either. Good to know!.....

Jackie, great start of a day ... keep it up! :bigsmile: My doctor wanted me to drink red wine every day ... wish I liked it! Since I don't drink alcohol, he said to drink red grape juice. Of course, it's not my favorite, so I stopped. I wonder if red grape juice would do the same thing. Anyone know? So sorry about your mom. :cry: Hugs to you. ROFL about turning the hearing aids off! That is too funny!.....

Karen,

Congrats on being so close to your goal. It sounds like you want to end up in the same neighborhood I am shooting for.

Regarding you question about the weather. I just made sure I had layers on that I could add to or remove as the temperature dictated. The conditions we are having now are unusual for any time of year. At this time, we should be in the fifties as an average, and snow after January in the lowlands here has only happened once that I can recall since I have lived in this area.

As far as good effects of red wine vs. grape juice. I think it might be related to resveratrol--a substance found in both of these items as well as blueberries. If you go to wikipedia, there is some interesting data on the subject. I don't know if it is this substance that has the effect on weight loss, but it is supposed to give other health benefits, though there is still research going on.

I have to go and get some breakfast, finally feeling like eating.

Barb
  • Texemgirl
    Options
    Barb, I'm sooo sorry you are sick. :cry: I sure hope you feel better soon! Your little sweet doggies sound like my two cats. Your story gave me a good chuckle! :laugh: My cats get in the food cupboard and wastebasket cupboard all the time ... they know how to open them! The cupboards don't have handles/knobs, so I can't lock them ... I live in apartment so can't screw anything into the wood. If they aren't here in the room with me, I have to make sure I listen for them! :grumble: OMW, I am ROFL about the man relieving pressure in the restaurant! I will laugh about that the rest of the day! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Texemgirl
    Options
    Barb, it seems as though we are typing at the same time, but you are faster! LOL! :laugh: This has been the craziest weather for everyone this winter! I live in the southern most part of Texas, and we can't remember such an awful cold and rainy winter. Just horrible!!! We get one nice day (maybe two) and then we are hit again. Can't wait for it to be over!

Thanks for the info regarding wine, red grape juice and blueberries. Now blueberries I have quite often. Maybe I should eat them every day! I try to have some kind of berry every day ... I'll just make sure one is blue! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the congrats. Now that I'm nearing 120, I'm considering going to 115. Since I'm not usually able to exercise, I'm not firm so I look bigger than I weigh. Also, the excess skin doesn't help. :grumble: At one point, I almost stopped losing weight because of the sagging skin ... it's not pretty! BUT, I got a grip and decided to continue because I FEEL soooo much better ... especially my knees! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Again, hope you feel better soon!

Okay, off to eat lunch.