• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

that could explain your bad taste for pork.. :bigsmile:
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    YESS!!! I thought I was alone.. It tastes very metallic to me. As soon as I put in in my mouth I spit it out. Like sucking on a penny! I taste it with pork chops, pork roast, ribs, pulled pork.. It doesnt matter how it is cooked or seasoned I taste it. I do okay with ham and bacon. but only take little bites. It never happened until I started losing weight. I asked the dr about it she said dont eat pork. SO that is where I am....
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I think it depends on preparation. I don't like the taste of baked pork chops, but grilled? oh man, I wanna eat them all! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I had never tasted lamb until I was in my early thirties. My aunt's boyfriend is from Egypt and a devout Muslim. He made lamb chops with lentils and rice for dinner one night. I took one bite and said, "Kinda tastes like a pork chop to me." He about flipped out! I really wasn't trying to be offensive, and the fact that he was Muslim never crossed my mind.

Edit to add: I know this post is about pork, but all this talk about the taste of pork made me think of this story.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

that could explain your bad taste for pork.. :bigsmile:

OMG DON'T EVEN JOKE.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    YESS!!! I thought I was alone.. It tastes very metallic to me. As soon as I put in in my mouth I spit it out. Like sucking on a penny! I taste it with pork chops, pork roast, ribs, pulled pork.. It doesnt matter how it is cooked or seasoned I taste it. I do okay with ham and bacon. but only take little bites. It never happened until I started losing weight. I asked the dr about it she said dont eat pork. SO that is where I am....

YES. You and someone else said it... it's more like a metallic taste; chemical may have been the wrong word. I guess I was just searching for a term to describe 'this tastes like not food." The cuts have come from different stores, been different cuts, been prepared differently, don't involve lots of salt (I only use potassium salt, and even then, not much of that), etc. I've roasted them, pulled in a crock pot, pan fried, and baked... and I've been "BLEH."

I mentioned the BBQ aspect because, up until recently, I thought I enjoyed pork... but I tend to think of "liking" pork when it's very thin porkchops, BBQ ribs, etc.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else... get a weird taste from pork?

I'm not talking sausage or pepperoni or prosciutto (all of which sound amazing), but pulled pork, pork chops, pork roast, etc.

I've made pork twice in the last two weeks and almost gagged from eating it because it... tasted so odd? Like an almost chemical taste to it? My fiance was like, "I think you've never actually tasted pork from BBQ sauce or super thin pork chops with breading."

That may be true, but it seems like such a weird taste for meat to have. I know people either love or hate cilantro... is this one of those things?

Does anyone else get this weird taste when eating pork?

YES - Here at Krogers they have what is labeled as "Moist and Tender" pork. Read the fine print on the label and it contains a 15% flavor enhancing solution. NASTY! To me it has a plastic or rancid oil taste. They also carry "All Natural" pork which is just pork without the extras and that is just fine.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Same here different cuts, different stores, fresh from the butcher, wild, doesnt matter...... I am not sure what changed.. Pork has alot of zinc could that be the taste??? I dont know.... I use to love pork not anymore....
  • mcdermor
    mcdermor Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in the pork industry, I just had to say something here.

My advice would be to find a local pork producer and get to know him and his practices. Most hog farmers are very happy to educate interested parties on the ins and outs of raising pigs in a healthy and safe way, and they want you to be happy and satisfied with the meat you eat. Your hog farmer may be able to help you figure out what it is that's bothering you.

Also, just so all you folks know, solid cuts of pork only need to be cooked to internal temp of 145F, then you can let it rest and it will coast to perfection. For all kinds of advice and recipes on how to cook pork, check out www.porkbeinspired.com
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just pulled a smoked pork tenderloin from my freezer that I cooked this summer. Tasted great! Yum.

If you had leftover pork tenderloin from the summer you failed to apply yourself in a manner befitting the exalted status of pork tenderloins.

LOL. While the weather is warm here I try to grill and smoke as much meat as I can fit in the freezer. I'll be stepping up the the plate (get the pun?) to address the overstocked protein all winter.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options

YES. You and someone else said it... it's more like a metallic taste; chemical may have been the wrong word. I guess I was just searching for a term to describe 'this tastes like not food." The cuts have come from different stores, been different cuts, been prepared differently, don't involve lots of salt (I only use potassium salt, and even then, not much of that), etc. I've roasted them, pulled in a crock pot, pan fried, and baked... and I've been "BLEH."

I mentioned the BBQ aspect because, up until recently, I thought I enjoyed pork... but I tend to think of "liking" pork when it's very thin porkchops, BBQ ribs, etc.

0_0 I thought I was just being picky....

But yeah. I like ham and bacon, but porkchops, ribs? Yuck. Usually textures of foods bother me, but with porkchops and ribs it's just the general taste.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.....riiiibbbssss!!! :drinker: