lowest calorie cereal? (UK)

Options

Replies

• ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Since you shop at Aldi. Harvest moon fruit & fibre is approximately 106cal per 30g.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Ever since I realised a portion is a microscopic size I haven't bothered with cereal, I usually have something like toasted fried egg sandwich or omelette, far more filling than cereal for similar calories.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have always been a big fan of Ready Brek original :).

112 cal for a 30gr serving (minus the milk). Very filling and nutricious.
    It also has some vitamins added and there is no sugar in it.

To give it a bit of flavour, I tend to add a bit of cinnamon.
  • scrapsandbones
    scrapsandbones Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it's wrong to reply to an old thread (I'm a bit new)

In case anyone ends up reading this I find it helps to eat with the spoon in my non-dominant hand. This forces me to eat slower because it's awkward so a small portion doesn't feel like it's gone in a flash.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    skinnyinnotim wrote:
    ... a portion is a microscopic size ...

A portion is whatever size you want. Who said it isn't?
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it's wrong to reply to an old thread (I'm a bit new)

In case anyone ends up reading this I find it helps to eat with the spoon in my non-dominant hand. This forces me to eat slower because it's awkward so a small portion doesn't feel like it's gone in a flash.

this is genius - may just try !
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have Mornflake - Organic Oats, 40 g - made with water mixed with Sainsbury's - Frozen Blueberries & Strawberries, 80 g.

175 Calories. Not exactly cereal but is really filling

The wording seems a bit weird as I have kept it in the searchable format for MFP if you want to look it up
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    30g oats (I use Tesco Value), 170ish mls of water - Microwave 2 mins, throw in 50g of Blue berries = 124 cals
    Have this most mornings
    I do have Weetabix if more fibre is required :embarassed:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Weetabix is very low - 2 biscuits are 134 cals, plus your milk. I normally heat mine up with skimmed milk and add sweetener - gives you a warm and filling breakfast for just over 200 cals.

I prefer Oat so Simple though - I buy the ones that you just add water to for work, and recently they brought out the 'Oat so Simple with toppings', and they do an oat clusters and chocolate chunks one. It's lovely, you make it and the chocolate melts in the porridge and gives you a really lovely breakfast for 275 cals. And that fills me up till lunch every time.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    36g of Quaker Oats original with skimmed milk is 189 calories. It's filling and satisfying.
    Technically not a cereal but I second this. I have porridge most mornings.
  • Tara1B
    Tara1B Posts: 78
    Options
    Granola and skimmed/light soya milk padded out with lots of strawbs and banana - yum!
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Organic Hot Oatmeal (blueberry is my favourite), 160 calories a sachet, just add boiling water.
    Special K red berries 1 cup (110calories) + 1/2 cup milk is pretty good also.
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    For a quick low cal cereal fix on the go I always eat Alpen Light double chocolate - only 70 cals per bar
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    low cal - weetabix
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Benefit flakes you can get from Aldi. They're around 111 kcals per 30g (without milk). I just bought a box of ones with red fruit in them, and I must say, they make me really want breakfast in the morning! They're about £1.20 a box, and are just like Special K.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have Co-op high fibre bran (own brand eqiv Allbran) 50g is 173cals plus your milk. It gives me a great fibre intake 14g in one hit and keeps me full. I sometimes add greek yogurt or fruit to it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Porridge made with water! Proper porridge too, not that namby-pamby Oats-so stuff that I used to eat, the real McCoy :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I found changing to soya milk dropped loads of calories and sodium from my breakfast, I can have a 40g bowl of Morrisons High Fibre with dried fruit and soya milk for 144cals
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Today I had oats so simple original (98 cals per sachet), unsweetened almond milk, small banana and 1tbsp maple syrup all for 251 cals. It was really good
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I prefer Scott's So Easy porridge to Oats So Simple as it doesn't have all the weird (to me!!) additional flavours.
    204 calories per sachet made with semi-skimmed milk.
    I tend to use fully skimmed milk but add a dash of evaporated milk for flavour.

Lean ham, egg and baked beans is surprisingly low in calories and more filling.