Someone PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS FOR ME!!

Options
Since getting my body media I have gained 5lbs despite my average stats for a month being as follows
calories burned: 2128
Calories Consumed: 1632
Calorie Balance: 496 deficit
Average Daily Activity 2:02
Average Number of Steps 7615
Average Sleep: 7:54
I wear the bodymedia 22.2 hours a day

My food calories I eat are accurate I have logged with myfitness pal for 3 years and I keep a very accurate Log. I did take a break from logging the last month or so because everything is making me crazy but my habits didn't change. Also my measurements have gone up so I haven't gained muscle.

I don't understand how having a 496 daily deficit average I can be gaining weight.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    maybe the BMF isn't accurate
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think your TDEE may be wrong so you are not deficit.

Sorry - There is no other reason Calories In - Calories Out

3,500 deficit per pound you want to lose
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How long have you been using the BMF?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Since getting my body media I have gained 5lbs despite my average stats for a month being as follows

My food calories I eat are accurate I have logged with myfitness pal for 3 years and I keep a very accurate Log. I did take a break from logging the last month or so because everything is making me crazy but my habits didn't change. Also my measurements have gone up so I haven't gained muscle.

I don't understand how having a 496 daily deficit average I can be gaining weight.

Your body is the end game, not the online calorie tools which are just estimates to start with. Your BMR could be lower than you think. You could go to a lab and have this tested. It's the only way to know for sure. Most people have a BMR lower than they think.

For any of us to tell you to eat more is wrong.

For any of us to tell you to eat less is wrong.

If in doubt check with your doctor. We can't tell you.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The programmer in me tends to look to what are the changed variables - that's the BMF. It's likely something to do with that.
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you took a break from logging the last month or so, where did the calories consumed number come from? If you aren't logging is it possible that number is off? What kind of exercise have you been doing?
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Keep your sodium intake in check. It's a silent killer.
  • christy419
    Options
    unexplained weight gain could be something medical. How have you been feeling other wise. any other symptoms? stress and lack of sleep also cuases it. I had an under active thyroid that kept me from losing weight. medications help with it.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Your body is the end game, not the online calorie tools which are just estimates to start with. Your BMR could be lower than you think. You could go to a lab and have this tested. It's the only way to know for sure. Most people have a BMR lower than they think.

For any of us to tell you to eat more is wrong.

For any of us to tell you to eat less is wrong.

If in doubt check with your doctor. We can't tell you.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

VERY good post!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have gained 5lbs despite my average stats for a month being as follows
    I did take a break from logging the last month or so

I see a huge possible correlation here. You stopped logging for a month, you gained weight in a month. I know you think your habits haven't changed but you really may not know how much your'e consuming without logging. The same thing happened to me. I stopped logging for a little while and started gaining, even though I kept track of calories in my head and could've sworn I was eating the same way I did when I logged. Then I started logging again and started losing weight again. I feel that you may be consuming more than you think.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    yo i spilled bong water in my car how the **** am i getting this stank out

LOL!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Also my measurements have gone up so I haven't gained muscle.

That doesn't mean anything. If you lose fat, but gain muscle, you could very well have the same measurements. Muscle is considerably denser than fat. I'm not saying that that's what happened, but you can't discount it based solely on measurements.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I see a huge possible correlation here. You stopped logging for a month, you gained weight in a month. I know you think your habits haven't changed but you really may not know how much your'e consuming without logging. The same thing happened to me. I stopped logging for a little while and started gaining, even though I kept track of calories in my head and could've sworn I was eating the same way I did when I logged. Then I started logging again and started losing weight again. I feel that you may be consuming more than you think.

This.

Plus, on the days you did log, your sodium is all over the place. Sometimes pretty good, sometimes pretty high. If you happen to weigh after one of those high days, you can expect to see an increase on the scale. I've seen as much as an 8 pound gain from a particularly salty meal.

You're also pretty darn close to your goal weight, so a 250 calorie deficit might be a better daily goal for you than ~500 calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Same here. I thought I'd been logging long enough to stop for awhile and be fine, but I crept up about 5 lbs and had to start up again.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Because your eating close to 1700c and you might be eating too much?

Seriously...

Carbs aren't the best friend in the world for active people when trying to lose weight, they are a tool for loading when racing etc, but practically useless to us really...I mean like heavy carbs so excess of 100g max a day...

I think perhaps your carb intake might be higher than what it should be if your training... I used to get into that pitfall....

You need more protein to rebuild the muscle than glycogen to replenish muscle stores....

Also you say training for 2 hrs? Is that running at say half marathon pace or faster, or marathon/ultra pace? Because your burning of 2100 seems not quite right for that activity, I mean 1200 base + maybe 1200-1400 for running at mod pace for 2hrs means total of 2300-2500... Even if I went for a 2 hr run, the most I would eat total is 1600... Sure I would only "net" 2-400 calories, but I was fine with that as long as kept protein and fats up... carbs during run maybe sure, but didn't go over board as a nice juicy steak is better :D

So I think look at what your eating... For me basically my issue is carbs... Most peoples issue is carbs plain and simple, they have too many...

Hope I somewhat could be of help, even if a little :)
  • runnermomo4
    runnermomo4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No I haven't gained just while not logging. .. When I don't log I actually have stayed the same. I have been gaining for the last year or stalled weather I log or not. Lost 25lbs with mfp, got the bodymedia to lose the last 10 lbs and have continued to gain. I lift heavy 3 times a week run 15 kms a week and do yoga. People can assume I'm lying to myself about the number of calories I consume or burn but I don't believe that is helpful to my weight loss. That is why I got the body media to get the most accurate picture of what is going on.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    No I haven't gained just while not logging. .. When I don't log I actually have stayed the same. I have been gaining for the last year or stalled weather I log or not. Lost 25lbs with mfp, got the bodymedia to lose the last 10 lbs and have continued to gain. I lift heavy 3 times a week run 15 kms a week and do yoga. People can assume I'm lying to myself about the number of calories I consume or burn but I don't believe that is helpful to my weight loss. That is why I got the body media to get the most accurate picture of what is going on.

I just checked your diary you seem to be going over your carbs almost consistently and same with going under on protein... I would suggest trying to focus on 50-80g carbs a day MAX and see how you feel and what happens, and up your protein intake....

Also 15km a week, is that in total? Or per session? Would be nice to know as if you are a runner I could change my advice slightly :)

I mean I currently am active everyday and get depressed if not, also run 3 times a week, cycle/weights 3 times a week and then surf 2 times a week lol... Active does really help :) I can lose quickly, but I'm on the oh lets get drunk and eat random crap ship on weekends at moment lol.. I still lose each week, but not as fast as can lol!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

No one said you were lying. We just said it can be hard to get an accurate count of how much you eat without logging. It's happened to plenty of us before.

If you're sure that's not it, the BMF calculations may be wrong, or it could be a medical cause. I'd see a doctor just be sure.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Let's use a little bit of logic and common sense here. You've been gaining weight or maintaining for the last year. What do you think this means? You are eating more than you are burning. Maybe you're overestimating your calories burned during exercise, or underestimating the food you intake. Or maybe your base metabolism is slower than it's calculated to be. Who knows, who cares? Either way, if you're gaining over a long period of time then you're in a surplus. You can't gain weight magically from nothing, especially over such a long period of time.

Having said that, you'd need to consume less, or burn more. Or a little of both.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Call bodymedia to see if he device is possibly faulty. Have you been weighing all along or just at the end of the month? If at the end of the month could be water retention. Could anything be going on medically? I would rule out medical and equipment malfunction first, then look at everything else.