Relationship advice...Please!

Options

Replies

• MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but that's just sad. Maybe you're the one that doesn't deserve him? Why is it so wrong for people to have friends of the opposite gender AND compliment them?
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hey yall, i know this site is about weight loss, but this has been bothering me, and when things affect me emotionally they affect my moods and eating and well u know the drill.............so this happened going on a year now....

My boyfriend told his female friend " if I was single, you wouldnt be single"....... now i didnt receive that well... and to date it still bothers me....so im not comfortable with them being friends

what is your honest take on that statement??.... ( want both a male and female perspective)... as honest as possible...

thanks much

I would not be happy about that if I was in your shoes. Sounds like he was hitting on her. :explode:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You asked for honest, and you're getting it. DUMP HIS SORRY *kitten*.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but that's just sad. Maybe you're the one that doesn't deserve him? Why is it so wrong for people to have friends of the opposite gender AND compliment them?

You have a strange view on the term compliment.

"You look nice today." = compliment.

"You're smart, funny and gorgeous. You'll find someone amazing." = compliment.

"If I wasn't with my girlfriend, I would be with you." = Seriously?

Have your man say that to some chick and see how you react to it.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Give him his wish and let him date the other chick.

Forbidding him for them to be friends? Yeah...good luck with that.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    jH8sI.gif

bawhahaha!!!!!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    By sparing her feeling he hurt yours. You should be priority. If it's one slip up then i think it's something to look past. But if it really taints what you have with him (which it might for me), then there's little sense in staying with someone when such a roadblock is there. Again, if it's just a minor slip up you might need to step up and forgive : )
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    men aren't mind readers. if you didn't make it CRYSTAL clear that you are not comfortable with him being around this girl (especially in a one on one situation) you can't blame him for assuming it would be okay. sounds like you need to speak up and set some concrete boundaries.

This. Especially if the other girl - a couple weeks ago - basically asked him out on a dinner date. Remain calm and tell him that what she did was over the line and you don't want them fraternizing any more than with circle of friends - if even that much. If he respects your opinion and agrees, great. If not, then don't keep yourself in a (likely) bad situation.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    he needs a slap thats an awful thing to do
  • shamah84
    shamah84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

You have a strange view on the term compliment.

"You look nice today." = compliment.

"You're smart, funny and gorgeous. You'll find someone amazing." = compliment.

"If I wasn't with my girlfriend, I would be with you." = Seriously?

Have your man say that to some chick and see how you react to it.

I was about to say the EXACT same thing.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    He sounds like a douche. Did you ask him about it?

Yes i confronted him about it, and he said he was just trying to boost her self-esteem

what a gem. so he either places more importance on her self-esteem than his own girlfriend's, or he wasn't thinking of you or how such a comment would make you feel. obviously if its been a year it did bother you if you are posting about it now. it probably wouldn't still be bugging you if you fully trusted him. after a comment like that, he woulda been single if it had been my guy
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    no actually....i dont think that he will now....we have been together for 2 years now. when he said that it was about 13 months into the relationship.....but that mesage made me concerned about their emotional bond, and if he secretly likes her....idk

being together two years does not mean that he will not cheat.. my relationship of three years ended last month because he started an affair on the side two months ago. If he has some sort of insecurity or is a commitment-phobe (my-ex cheated because we were moving in together and discussing rings, blah blah blah, this 31-year old woman (he's 24) was pursuing him and he just eventually fed into it) and there are other women that are feeding these insecurities or making him feel good about himself, he can stray. But what I learned from my situation is that you should never EVER be worried about someone elses actions. I was willing to work through the cheating issue, but then I came to realize that I, or any other woman for that matter, should NOT be a second choice in her relationship. You deserve someone who will make you happy and who will give you all their love. You're not going to be able to enjoy a relationship if you're constantly worrying about your security in the girlfriend position. It's hard..but I think you need to move on if it's still bothering you.
  • mel6chi
    Options
    If you are worried enough about it to ask now, all this time later, it's not worth it. Don't sneak around & check his messages or anything like that. Just dump him & move on. Life is too short to live in constant doubt. Somewhere out there is a man who won't give you any reason to doubt where his heart is.
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you're still festering about it a year later then whether it was innocent of not, the damage is done. Time to move on and either find someone who won't give you these feelings or check yourself to make sure you don't have jealousy issues. Good luck!
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This happened 11 months ago and is still bothering you enough that you are seeking advice and others opinions. I think you have your answer right there. You know the nuances and particulars about your relationship and you know your boyfriend. And something that you know is bugging your consciousness enough to not let go of this nugget.
  • oboth
    oboth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Run, don't walk. My husband had a woman who was his best friend and it didn't turn out very well.... When you are dating, you are on your best behavior. I wouldn't waste any more time at all. Let her have him.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    From a girl who has been in a happy relationship for 10+ years. Get over it and don't sweat the small stuff...

There is so much more to a happy healthy relationship than a couple of inappropriate statements.

That being said, no one can tell you how to feel so ultimately you have to do what makes you happy. The hard part sometimes is figuring out what that is.... (Guess I wasn't really that much help eh??:flowerforyou: )

Good Luck,

Alsison
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    He sounds like a douche. Did you ask him about it?

Yes i confronted him about it, and he said he was just trying to boost her self-esteem

I don't buy it. But you would know him best. Does he have any other past behavior that may prove him to be unfaithful to you?

REALLY, SERIOUSLY.... that's BS.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    to put it nicely... he's a d*ck