How many times a day do you eat?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    While the number of calories are key here, by eating more often it keeps your metabolism going and actually helps you to burn more fat faster.

Keep the metabolism going by keeping food in your digestive system. Let your body do the work!!!

This is just plan wrong and is total myth. Eating has no effect on your metabolism beyond the TEF of what you ate. If you eat the same amout in a day, TEF is the same whether you eat once or 22 times. This misinformation gets repeated so often it's ridiculous. Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat three actual meals. But I snack a lot!!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    While the number of calories are key here, by eating more often it keeps your metabolism going and actually helps you to burn more fat faster.

Keep the metabolism going by keeping food in your digestive system. Let your body do the work!!!

This is just plan wrong and is total myth. Eating has no effect on your metabolism beyond the TEF of what you ate. If you eat the same amout in a day, TEF is the same whether you eat once or 22 times. This misinformation gets repeated so often it's ridiculous. Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!

EXACTLY
    do what works for you.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I eat 4-6 times per day. I find I do better with losing when I eat less more often:)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm big on snacking (not because I believe it has any advantage, just because it seems to work for me). I eat about 200-300 calories for breakfast, around 300ish for lunch, 400ish for dinner and the rest is 50-100 calorie snacks so I eat pretty frequently.
  • ReverseEngineered
    Options
    For reference, many studies have been done on number of meals vs. weight loss and the results are weak at best. See here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

Personally, I try to spread my food out among 5 meals every 3 hours. Ever since I was a child I found myself hungry every 3-4 hours, even if I've just had a big meal. I also found that I would get dizzy, light-headed, shaky, and agitated if I didn't eat, though doctors assure me I am not hypoglycemic. Evenly-spacing out my meals and calories has solved this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat 3 times a day, though I often have caloric drinks (soy milk, almond milk, V8) as snacks which can push it up to 5-6 times a day.

On days I don't work I may only eat once or twice, or I may eat all day long making it hard to count how many times (1 continuous feed, or 15 small snacks???)

I'm a 'listen to your body' type person. I feed it when I'm hungry, I try to stop when I'm full, and I ignore it when it's making unreasonable requests (or make it earn it through extra exercise if really just won't shut up).
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • conraj74
    conraj74 Posts: 182
    Options
    I usually eat six or seven times a day.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!

Yes it does. Just not as much as most people seem to thing.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!

Proof source?
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I only eat about 3-4 meals a day

Aint nobody got time for that!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Three meals, two snacks usually.

^ This is what I do for the most part... at least M-F the weekends I may just do 2-3 good sized meals as I am always on the go and do not pack lunch as I do for work...
  • mercymarque
    Options
    4 small meals and three 100-150 calorie snacks if need be.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When I worked in a restaurant -- with no breaks to eat for the entire shift -- I would sometimes tuck a juice or milk or something away at the beverage station and sip it when I could to maintain my blood sugar, but this might be a health code violation. Also, try luna bars. They are about 3 bites... take about 2 minutes to eat... and are just enough energy to keep you going. Stick one in your apron.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Proof source?

Your body burns calories during digestion. Any time you burn calories you have a temporary boost in metabolism.
  • mmapags
    Options

Proof source?

Your body burns calories during digestion. Any time you burn calories you have a temporary boost in metabolism.

That is the Thermic Effect of Food or TEF as I refered to in my post. It's effect is in direct relation to what and how much you eat. How often you eat is a nonfactor assuming you eat the same amount with the same macronutrient composition. So, in effect, it is useless as a factor in weight loss.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    3 meals, 3 snacks per day.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    8, around 6000-6500 calories.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    3- 4 plus snacking on oatmeal,frutis and veggies