how often do you weigh?

Options

Replies

• ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Wednesdays. No need to obsess with daily weigh-ins when body weight fluctuates daily. It's like setting yourself up for mental failure if you see a small gain (which COULD be muscle OR water weight) or a small loss (thinking you're working your hardest but nothing is happening OR you simply lost water weight). I don't need that. So, once a week it is. :0)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I was doing it once or more a day when I first started to lose weight. However after the first initial 'big' loss, I saw too much fluctuations caused by water weight and such and that was too hard for me to see (however it did really set me straight for not allowing more than one cheat meal a week), but now I am trying to go back to once a week instead. That way I don't see the little fluctuations and instead see more of the trend.
    I am weighing Friday mornings, that way it's the farthest away from my cheat meal with I usually have on the weekend.
    Once I get to maintenance I will weigh everyday to keep an eye on this and make changes quickly if I need to.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    i don't have my own scale, otherwise i would do it every day. now i do it about twice a week in the sport centre.

also, does anyone really weigh only once a month?? surely that would not keep you on track at all?
    Heck, in my clinic, I have patients tell me they NEVER weigh, then some that come here just once per month and that's when they weigh. I would say someone wasn't very health conscious if they weighed only 1/month, but to each their own. What works for one, doesn't work for all :)

Interesting...I'd consider myself very health conscious (check out my diary) and I weigh in the first of the month only.
  • tristalamothe
    tristalamothe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself usually once or twice a day, but only record it once a week.
    This way, it makes things less fluctuant and you can better track your results! :)
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up... and every night before I go to bed.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I used to only weight in once a week, even two weeks sometimes. Now, I weigh in everyday, it helps me make dedicated choices...but I only record once a week. The daily thing is just to help me stay in the game.
  • Lily26Wal
    Options
    personally once a week now, i use to weigh myself daily!! which worked terribly and was soooo demotivating!!!! once a week will do
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyday---but I don't get neurotic about it. like I used to -weight fluctuates from day to day.
    But I only record my weight once a week on Friday morning, every Friday morning.

Same here ... but record on Tuesdays.
  • allydvorak
    Options
    I try to every Friday morning, usually because I stick to my diet more- but sometimes I get a little too curious and check up to 3 times a day!
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Every. Damn. Day. -- addicted!
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I aim for weekly, but it ends up being every other day...
  • bruinschick13
    bruinschick13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I MIGHT weigh myself once a week, probably less though.
    When I do it's in the morning, naked, before I consume anything.
    I don't like going by the scale though since muscle weighs more than fat. For example, I'm doing P90X and I've gained some weight BUT my clothes have gotten lose. That is how it's supposed to work.
    So, using a scale doesn't really help. Go by measurements, how your clothes fit and take pictures.
    If anyone is interested in more help on their fitness journey, shoot me a message, I have a PRIVATE group on FaceBook and we help each other out.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Every day, usually several times a day. BUT, I only log it once a week (first weigh in on Friday morning) AND I don't let little fluctuations ruin my day. I know that my weight will bounce up and down, and I've learned some of the rhythms of it. Because of that, when i step on the scale at the end of the day and it's 1.2 pounds up from that morning, I know that I didn't gain a pound of fat in 12 hours. Seriously, that would be impressive! It's just water weight, food, different clothes on, etc. Nothing to worry about.

If you can handle that kind of thing, I like weighing every day. It helps keep me on track. When the number is lower than expected, I feel great. When it's higher than expected, it motivates me to make good choices. Win, win. But, if you are the kind of person that can get derailed by the number on the scale, I'd recommend once a week tops.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    every day is too much you'll make urself crazy w/ the fluctuations.

1.) always weigh yourself BEFORE A WORK OUT, AFTER YOU PEE, FIRST THING IN THE MORNING or after sleep.
    2.) I prefer mon - fri or just every mon
    3.) Dont assume taking a crap will make you lose weight. Every time i crap, i gain wait, TMI but true!

Hope this helps!
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    in the past I have done weekley weigh ins. Works pretty well for me. Im sticking to that this time around too.
  • berkman12
    berkman12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tend to weight everyday if not every other day. depends on how busy i am
  • Kureiton84
    Kureiton84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh very consistently every morning, before breakfast, and after [and let's just be adults here] urinating and defecating. The only reason I do this is because I enter my weight each morning into a spreadsheet, and it presents interesting data for me to look at later... I can convert the data to a graph, and I can see exactly when my beer-swilling friends came back into town for the holidays, or when I was really stressed about my job and a lack of a vehicle, and how those things change my eating habits.

What the hell, I'll share. Here's my graph from the start, til today:

http://snag.gy/k78yQ.jpg

Clearly I had a GREAT start, and have been fighting to get back on track for a long time now. :-/
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I used to weigh ever morning, but it seemed like i was up and down a quarter or half a pound with no rhyme or reason. I found that to be discouraging and went to once a week on Saturday morning. That seems to work much better for me, since I can see a difference even if it's small one at the end of a week. I still will hop on the scale in the middle of the week if I feel like it, but not that often.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I way everyday- I only record about once a week.
  • Mara_816
    Options
    i do it once a week, maybe mondays on the beggining to keep me on track