Is Running Really Bad For You?

Options
13»

Replies

• thi3
    thi3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exactly!

I love to run but have OA arthritis in my knees and lupus so, not exactly running friendly joints. All my friends still run-listen to your body, build up slowly and cross train to be strong everywhere! Keep it up if you love it.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you don't stretch, wear proper footwear, learn to have proper form and stride,yes, it can be "bad" for you, bad being a relative term. Like anything you have to prepare correctly for it or you can injure yourself. Use common sense when training. If it hurts stop, if it feels uncomfortable re-evaluate your body position and how your foot is striking the pavement.

If it's what you want to do, don't let your trainer deter you from doing it, but also educate yourself about how to run properly to avoid proving your trainer right about injury.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Idk. For those who've run without injury, great!. But:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3578639

Sixty runners belonging to two clubs were followed for 1 year with regard to training and injury. There were 55 injuries in 39 athletes. The injury rate per 1,000 hours of training was 2.5 in long-distance/marathon runners and 5.6 to 5.8 in sprinters and middle-distance runners. There were significant differences in the injury rate in different periods of the 12 month study, the highest rates occurring in spring and summer. In marathon runners there was a significant correlation between the injury rate during any 1 month and the distance covered during the preceding month (r = 0.59). In a retrospective analysis of the cause of injury, a training error alone or in combination with other factors was the most common injury-provoking factor (72%). The injury pattern varied among the three groups of runners: hamstring strain and tendinitis were most common in sprinters, backache and hip problems were most common in middle-distance runners, and foot problems were most common in marathon runners.

FIFTY FIVE injuries in 39 runners.

This one, from 2007:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17473005

The purpose of this study was to present a systematic overview of published reports on the incidence and associated potential risk factors of lower extremity running injuries in long distance runners. An electronic database search was conducted using the PubMed-Medline database. Two observers independently assessed the quality of the studies and a best evidence synthesis was used to summarise the results. The incidence of lower extremity running injuries ranged from 19.4% to 79.3%. The predominant site of these injuries was the knee. There was strong evidence that a long training distance per week in male runners and a history of previous injuries were risk factors for injuries, and that an increase in training distance per week was a protective factor for knee injuries.

Just saying: be careful!!!

Study one is based on club runners that specialize in a particular competitive distance. 2.5 injuries per 1000 hours of running for the distance runners. 1000 hours of running is a crap load of miles. I run a fair amount and will not come close to that in a year. The study abstract the link goes to also does not indicate any prevalence of chronic joint injury and in fact notes mostly soft tissue injuries (foot problems, backache, hip issues).

Study two is really a study of studies, it found 3 very limited conclusions, the first is that, for men only, running a large number of miles per week is a risk factor and having a history of previous injury is a risk factor. It also found that increasing distance per week is a protective factor. Or, for the boys, too much too soon is bad, having an injury history is bad, but building slowly over time is good.

For the OP, neither of these studies really applies, the injury correlation is related to very high mileage runners (study 1) and potentially only male endurance runners (study 2), the only exception being that building mileage weekly over time is a good way to reduce injury risk (study 2)

Sucks to be injured, and the points on building slowly, not pushing through injury etc... are good, but running is not bad for you, running badly (too much, too soon / over striding / not warming up...) is bad for you.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    About 85 per cent of elite and recreational badminton players (!) are injured during an average year, 65 per cent of regular runners are hit by the injury bug, and 21 percent of walkers are afflicted (by definition, an 'injury' is a physical problem severe enough to force a reduction in training).

I have a bit of a problem with the definition of injury being used - it's pretty vague. Think about it, if I pull a hamstring and cut back on my volume for a couple of weeks I'm injured. As Carson aptly pointed out....there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

I think that's a fair point, & one worth exploring. (I am walking away from the computer after I post this, probably to people's relief).

I'm thinking someone with experience in formal athletics, even at a school level, will probably know how to listen to her hamstring, and what to do to heal it.

An idiot like me, who spent every year until 2007 avoiding exercise, did not know how to interpret pain. And neither did the GP, or the 2 physios who assessed me afterwards. Because of my inexperience, I didn't know a sports med doc was the person to see. And I did not see her (or the ortho to which she referred me) for a good while.

n=1 there, obviously. I'm pretty confident there are more than me, though.

(And yes, I read Runner's World constantly, watched videos on form & did my best to imitate them, spent over $200 on shoes - after a gait assessment. I did not foam roll, must say. Individual mechanics at play, yes, but I really did try to be diligent.)

edit: one last thought, though. Why is it that so many fitness professionals prefer people stay away from running, as the OP's PT did? Other than liability worries, they want people to stay motivated (and, stay clients, probably, but still - they want them to be successful in their bodies, and in fitness, even if it's just because it's good for business).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been running for decades and as long as I've got great shoes and I rest whenever I suspect an injury coming on, I seem to have no problems. I actually feel more aches and pains during extended periods without running. When I was younger and didn't listen to my body, I had a few overuse injuries, but I haven't had ANY problems for several years now. Some people are more prone to injury and probably shouldn't run. I'm not one of them. :smile:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you and should be avoided at all costs!

It leads to chronic awesomeness! But it will make your uterus fall out...

Well this explains all the uteruses (uteri?) I see lying on the trail.

Indeed, just go to the finish line of any big city marathon, the street will be lousy with uteri...

I just about spewed soda out of my nose!! LOL!!!

I love running. If it's bad on my joints, my joints haven't figured that out yet. I've had a few bouts with some tendon issues, but otherwise I'm out there running. Getting geared up for a 15k in 11 day. Ran 2 half marathons this past year. Didn't even START running until 07-11 and nearly 40 years old!

If you enjoy it. . .stick with it. Just watch out for all the lost uteruses. . .they can be slippery suckers if you don't dodge them!!
  • Priista
    Options
    In my case, running wore out the cartilage in my hips to the point I had to have them both replaced. I started running back in the 80's to keep from gaining weight after I quit smoking. Within 9 months, I ran a full marathon (3:31:47) and continued logging 50-60 miles/week for the next 15 years until my hips began to bother me. I had a great surgeon and recuperated totally, except for being under Dr's orders to avoid running. I now alternate biking 20 miles with walking 6 miles 5 days/week plus recently, some daily 30DS (more like 15DS so far).

I believe I damaged my hips by going from a totally sedentary lifestile to a marathon in 9 months, not allowing proper recovery from the damage done by the long practice runs--up to 21 miles. Also, my case is hardly typical, as thousands of runners run much longer than I without any skeletal issues.

Good luck!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    edit: one last thought, though. Why is it that so many fitness professionals prefer people stay away from running, as the OP's PT did? Other than liability worries, they want people to stay motivated (and, stay clients, probably, but still - they want them to be successful in their bodies, and in fitness, even if it's just because it's good for business).

Because who needs to pay someone every week or month so they can tell them to go run. Personal trainer and fitness professional are two things I would not assume are the same thing.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Because who needs to pay someone every week or month so they can tell them to go run. Personal trainer and fitness professional are two things I would not assume are the same thing.

Lol. Maybe. PT could also say, "I can help you not be one of the 65% of recreational runners who hurt themselves". It's obvious that running takes technique - barefoot! forward lean! midfoot strike! etc.

But you can chuck in those two physios I saw.
  • JudySwims
    JudySwims Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Run. Then swim. Amazing recovery exercise! Plus stretch in pool.... you will be amazed