Options

Replies

• akmlebre
    akmlebre Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    when Im real close on my protein i eat a baby bell lite cheese
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    As long as you are getting sufficient fats and micros then there is no reason to not have more protein. If you've hit your macros for the day, spend the rest of your calories how you like. Although, if you are using MFP's setting, the protein level they set are too low in my opinion.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Protein will either store or oxidize. It's not going to " not get absorbed" unless you find yourself crapping out a chicken.

The digestive limits are way beyond 30g.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • lilacstars
    Options
    According to the Dietary References Intakes (DRIs), men and women above 19 years old should be getting 0.66 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. You can also go by having 10-35% of your total calories from protein. This value is higher for pregnant or lactating women. However, there is actually insufficient evidence on whether or not athletes should be taking more protein. There is also no established upper limit (highest amount that you can intake before you see an adverse effect) but they recommend that you take that with caution.

Some people say that excess protein gets converted into fat but there's not enough evidence to actually say that as a fact.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I gotta say... We don't really need as much protein as we think. I know I'm starting a s*&t storm. Sorry. MFP suggests roughly 15% of calories be from protein. FOK suggests no more than 10%. I lost a LOT of weight in the 90s with a high protein diet but ended up with some issues from it.
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/meeting-protein-needs-simply-by-eating/

This is true. It is not a popular statement here, but it is true!

If I were veg*n, I would want to believe this too. It would be difficult enough getting to 10% protein
    man, my life would be so much easier as a vegetarian if i only needed to eat 39g of protein per day! my numbers have been embarrassingly low lately, and i'm definitely feeling it. i've had post-squat doms since monday and i'm exhausted, and i'm fairly sure it's because my protein has been at about half the level i like it to be (which is ~100g, or about 1g/lb LBM), especially since my carbs and fats are more than high enough.
    maybe some people need less protein to feel their best and reach their goals based on their body composition, but saying that nobody needs more than 10% of their calories from protein is just absurd...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.
    pls verify ur info :)

Here you go - summary and links -
    Highlights -
    From Mens Health - Drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day and divide your protein among five or six small meals throughout the day. "Eating an average of 25 to 30 grams each meal is ideal," says Lischin. "Not only will you put less stress on your kidneys, but you'll also utilize more of the protein you're ingesting by giving your body only as much as it can use each time."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/eliminate_workout_saboteurs/Thirst.php#ixzz24ZsFurs0

Body can absorb about 30g of protein per sitting

How much protein body can absorb?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502182-how-much-protein-in-a-meal-can-be-used-by-the-body/

The 30-Gram Rule

While how much protein you absorb can depend upon a number of factors, the generally accepted theory is that the body can take in about 30 g of protein in one sitting, according to Tom Venuto, an author and NSCA-certified personal trainer. This is why many bodybuilders and athletes break up their daily protein intake into several small meals per day. While it is possible your body may digest slightly more protein per serving, the 30 g is a general guideline.

This is an absolute example of how some information on www.livestrong.com is bollox:

Read the actual article from Venuto that is linked - in summary:

<snip>Bottom line: Even large protein servings can be digested and absorbed, and it appears there is no 30 gram absolute limit. On the other hand, huge servings of protein at one time are not necessary for muscle growth. Beyond what is needed for growth, repair and energy, an excess of protein can get "wasted" if you are referring to being stored as fat or burned for energy <snip>

Looks like someone from livestrong did not quite comprehend that very simple article from Venuto which can be found here. http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/protein_grams_per_meal.shtml

Word of advice, whatever you read on livestrong, read the actual studies/articles that are linked. Also, do not take what you read on menshealth as correct without checking the sources, which I cannot find in that article linked.

ETA: I just looked at a few of the things in the other pages on that article and I lolled - a lot!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    According to the Dietary References Intakes (DRIs), men and women above 19 years old should be getting 0.66 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. You can also go by having 10-35% of your total calories from protein. This value is higher for pregnant or lactating women. However, there is actually insufficient evidence on whether or not athletes should be taking more protein.

I think there's a fairly reasonable amount of data to point to higher protein intakes positively effecting skeletal muscle in resistance trained athletes.

Some people say that excess protein gets converted into fat but there's not enough evidence to actually say that as a fact.
    Edited for DNL error. Also, excess protein blunts fat oxidation. This is why in a calorie surplus you still get fat even if the surplus is largely protein.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Since this dumb 30 grams of protein rule won't die - and unfortunately never will - here is what I typed earlier.
    The elderly women in this study had a LBM between 31.7 to 45kg and were eating 1.7 grams x LBM kg a day. The pulse group ate 80% of their daily protein in a single meal. So the women were consuming between 42 to 61 grams of protein in that single meal and had higher nitrogen retention rates than the spread group which consumed far less protein per meal.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/6/1202.long#T3
    There are several other studies done on the elderly and adolescent girls which validate similar findings.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

That article seems to be mixing up vegetarians and vegans throughout. I am not sure why vegetarians would have for example a propensity for calcium or B12 deficiencies as a lot of the diet often comes from dairy. I know mine does. There are a lot of footnotes in the body of the text but I cannot find the actual footnotes that should presumably give some sources for this information. Am I missing them or are they not there?
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eat protein, the mfp scale is way too low on it imho. I struggle to eat enough carbs and eat over on protein everyday it seems
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I gotta say... We don't really need as much protein as we think. I know I'm starting a s*&t storm. Sorry. MFP suggests roughly 15% of calories be from protein. FOK suggests no more than 10%. I lost a LOT of weight in the 90s with a high protein diet but ended up with some issues from it.
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/meeting-protein-needs-simply-by-eating/

This is true. It is not a popular statement here, but it is true!

If I were veg*n, I would want to believe this too. It would be difficult enough getting to 10% protein
    man, my life would be so much easier as a vegetarian if i only needed to eat 39g of protein per day! my numbers have been embarrassingly low lately, and i'm definitely feeling it. i've had post-squat doms since monday and i'm exhausted, and i'm fairly sure it's because my protein has been at about half the level i like it to be (which is ~100g, or about 1g/lb LBM), especially since my carbs and fats are more than high enough.
    maybe some people need less protein to feel their best and reach their goals based on their body composition, but saying that nobody needs more than 10% of their calories from protein is just absurd...

One word....milk!

Gets you protein and is good for post workout recovery.
  • lilacstars
    Options
    According to the Dietary References Intakes (DRIs), men and women above 19 years old should be getting 0.66 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. You can also go by having 10-35% of your total calories from protein. This value is higher for pregnant or lactating women. However, there is actually insufficient evidence on whether or not athletes should be taking more protein.

I think there's a fairly reasonable amount of data to point to higher protein intakes positively effecting skeletal muscle in resistance trained athletes.

De novo lipogenesis? Also, excess protein blunts fat oxidation. This is why in a calorie surplus you still get fat even if the surplus is largely protein.

I'm not the one who decides what amount of evidence is considered "sufficient" but maybe the data for resistance athletes is not able to be generalized for all athletes. (saw your edit, by the way)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

That article seems to be mixing up vegetarians and vegans throughout. I am not sure why vegetarians would have for example a propensity for calcium or B12 deficiencies as a lot of the diet often comes from dairy. I know mine does. There are a lot of footnotes in the body of the text but I cannot find the actual footnotes that should presumably give some sources for this information. Am I missing them or are they not there?

Click the references link at the end of the article (it's small).

I think it's mostly about veganism, but not sure.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I want more protein. :sad:

Generally accepted standards is 1 gram per lb of LBM barring any medical issues.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Click the references link at the end of the article (it's small).

I think it's mostly about veganism, but not sure.

Got it - did not see the drop down.

I need to read the referenced articles but the issue is often that people in general do not track their diet and can be deficient in nutrients - you restrict a food group, the risk becomes higher. If you pay attention or happen to have a diet that does give you appropriate nutrients, you do not have these problems. I have not eaten meat in 25 years and I know that I do not have a single one of these problems.
  • SideSteel
    Options

De novo lipogenesis? Also, excess protein blunts fat oxidation. This is why in a calorie surplus you still get fat even if the surplus is largely protein.

I'm not the one who decides what amount of evidence is considered "sufficient" but maybe the data for resistance athletes is not able to be generalized for all athletes. (saw your edit, by the way)

Edit: just curious then-- who is the one who has decided then, regarding sufficient data?
    I'm just trying to understand your perspective/what you're basing that off of. Also typing from my phone and probably tired enough that I'm making very little sense :)
    That's plausible. Protein oxidation generally increases for athletes though so it would make sense that intake needs would increase. As far as available research on resistance athletes, there's a few very recent threads that link to a set of about ~8 studies give or take. Also, if you're interested in it beyond this discussion, google Protein Roundtable and check out the vids. They reference peer reviewed research and go into detail on the faults with RDA intake as well as factors that create an increased demand for protein in bodybuilders.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Got it - did not see the drop down.

I need to read the referenced articles but the issue is often that people in general do not track their diet and can be deficient in nutrients - you restrict a food group, the risk becomes higher. If you pay attention or happen to have a diet that does give you appropriate nutrients, you do not have these problems. I have not eaten meat in 25 years and I know that I do not have a single one of these problems.

That's a fair point.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.
    pls verify ur info :)

Here you go - summary and links -
    Highlights -
    From Mens Health - Drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day and divide your protein among five or six small meals throughout the day. "Eating an average of 25 to 30 grams each meal is ideal," says Lischin. "Not only will you put less stress on your kidneys, but you'll also utilize more of the protein you're ingesting by giving your body only as much as it can use each time."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/eliminate_workout_saboteurs/Thirst.php#ixzz24ZsFurs0

Body can absorb about 30g of protein per sitting

How much protein body can absorb?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502182-how-much-protein-in-a-meal-can-be-used-by-the-body/

The 30-Gram Rule

While how much protein you absorb can depend upon a number of factors, the generally accepted theory is that the body can take in about 30 g of protein in one sitting, according to Tom Venuto, an author and NSCA-certified personal trainer. This is why many bodybuilders and athletes break up their daily protein intake into several small meals per day. While it is possible your body may digest slightly more protein per serving, the 30 g is a general guideline.
    i just think u r misunderstanding the term absorbed. if protein is not used for growth and repair it is stored as fat or used 4 energy
  • lilacstars
    Options

Edit: just curious then-- who is the one who has decided then, regarding sufficient data?
    I'm just trying to understand your perspective/what you're basing that off of. Also typing from my phone and probably tired enough that I'm making very little sense :)
    That's plausible. Protein oxidation generally increases for athletes though so it would make sense that intake needs would increase. As far as available research on resistance athletes, there's a few very recent threads that link to a set of about ~8 studies give or take. Also, if you're interested in it beyond this discussion, google Protein Roundtable and check out the vids. They reference peer reviewed research and go into detail on the faults with RDA intake as well as factors that create an increased demand for protein in bodybuilders.

The DRIs were determined by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academies' Institute of Medicine (US) and Health Canada but I'm not exactly sure how they decide on things. The actual DRI's are several volumes long so it may just be that they constantly have something new to analyze. As of now, this is what MyPlate is based off of but there's no telling when that will change.

I will have to go look up the studies you mentioned. Thanks. I feel like we're going way off topic though.